Brazos CAD values posted

14,771 Views | 136 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by aggiepaintrain
Post removed:
by user
Brian Alg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It makes the politicians look good now. Costco is a hugely popular store and no doubt they will get a lot of sales. But long-term this is not so great. This sends the signal to future large businesses considering opening up here: only suckers open up in College Station without getting a big incentive. If I was one of the incumbent firms (particularly Sam's) I'd be livid; seeing the city throw [edit: $1.3] million in tax money at a direct competitor just down the road. It is going to make people think twice about doing business here. Meanwhile they make it so difficult for small businesses to get going. Seems like they want it so that the only people who will do business here are ones that have teams of lawyers to deal with red tape and negotiate million dollar incentive packages. Super frustrating that so much talent coming to Texas from all over the country and this city feels like the best strategy is to follow the policies that made people flee NY and CA. Flushing so much potential down the drain. I wish one of the cities would get their act together.
Brian Alg

Brazos Coalition for Responsible Government
Chase
AG
histag10 said:

They had posted that the numbers were all estimates/temporarily, and the final official numbers would he posted later. I assume they took down the temp and are uploading the final numbers.

More likely they have a ton of people that were already doing their own comps against neighbors so they removed it so homeowners couldn't easily do that.
duffelpud
AG
duffelpud said:

Up 47.6% in CS.
Mrs. Duff's CS property (single family home).

"What's this button do?"
dallasiteinsa02
Keeping it with our current system. A simple change would be that the tax rate is automatically changed to match the total revenue from the previous year. Make the city council and school boards vote to increase it. They are currently hiding behind the increased revenue and acting like they didn't increase taxes.
Born&Raised
Ya know... it would seem all of this is nonsense if different people with different ideas cannot be elected.

There is too much sniping and backstabbing in CS for people to actually find those candidates that can win elections and try to get CS ready for the next century. Because one this is clear - the 21st century will not be the 20th. Different methods and practices should be brought up for discussion.

Funny - emergency meeting for chickens in COCS gets more attention than people trying to figure out a way for people to stop spending money on every problem and try to create greater efficiency.

But ... continue on.
woodiewood1
Mine went up 10 percent but is still $90,000 below two refi-appraisals I had done in January. I will not protest this.
woodiewood1
One thing I have noticed is that many of the commercial properties in prime locations don't go up in market value like the residential do. Some have not had an increase in appraised value for many years.
pacecar02
woodiewood1 said:

One thing I have noticed is that many of the commercial properties in prime locations don't go up in market value like the residential do. Some have not had an increase in appraised value for many years.
yes, it's crazy

around me, a 1 acre lot with 2 businesses appraised at 123k and then 129k 10 years later, ridiculous
woodiewood1
91_Aggie said:

jja79 said:

If I bought a house in 2010 for $100K and you bought the same floor plan in essentially the same condition 4 doors down in 2020 for $225K you should be taxed more. Is that what you're saying?

Yes!
Tax value should be based a real value, not the potential value. My house has more than doubled in the 23 years since I bought it. I get no benefit from that at all except to pay more in taxes.
(And yeah, i guess a benefit would be i could go into debt with a home equity loan)

Imagine if in another 10 years the value drops back to original purchase price before i sell it... that means i paid higher taxes on it for all those years for a value i never was able to realize.

so should you keep your insurance at $100,000 because that is your "real" value? Real value of a home is what it would cost you to replace it.
Law361
AG
Submitted my protest a couple of weeks ago. The counter-offer from the brazos cad was $500 less than their original. What a joke.
woodiewood1
woodiewood1 said:

91_Aggie said:

jja79 said:

If I bought a house in 2010 for $100K and you bought the same floor plan in essentially the same condition 4 doors down in 2020 for $225K you should be taxed more. Is that what you're saying?

Yes!
Tax value should be based a real value, not the potential value. My house has more than doubled in the 23 years since I bought it. I get no benefit from that at all except to pay more in taxes.
(And yeah, i guess a benefit would be i could go into debt with a home equity loan)

Imagine if in another 10 years the value drops back to original purchase price before i sell it... that means i paid higher taxes on it for all those years for a value i never was able to realize.

so should you keep your insurance at $100,000 because that is your "real" value? Real value of a home is what it would cost you to replace in case of total loss, i.e. made whole.
RGRAg1/75
AG
Law361 said:

Submitted my protest a couple of weeks ago. The counter-offer from the brazos cad was $500 less than their original. What a joke.

How much did you suggest it drop in the field where they ask for your valuation?

I submitted 2 protests: 1) with a ~$20k decrease recommend and 2) with an ~$18k decrease recommended.
Texasyankee
Ours went up almost 50k
2018-275,000
2019-310,000
2020-286,000
2021-330.000

What kind of f{<ing game is the CAD playing here.

I'm gonna contest this year and when I get my hearing, I will record it so y'all can see what their answer is.

I don't want stupid kids, and I'm willing to pay my property tax, but these yo-yo-ing values are driving me batty.
Law361
AG
They raised my value $16,000. I countered with a $3,000 increase (average for my neighborhood). And they came back at $15,500.
Chase
AG
Law361 said:

They raised my value $16,000. I countered with a $3,000 increase (average for my neighborhood). And they came back at $15,500.

There needs to be recourse if the CAD does not actually take comps into consideration.
woodiewood1
Brian Alg said:

It makes the politicians look good now. Costco is a hugely popular store and no doubt they will get a lot of sales. But long-term this is not so great. This sends the signal to future large businesses considering opening up here: only suckers open up in College Station without getting a big incentive. If I was one of the incumbent firms (particularly Sam's) I'd be livid; seeing the city throw [edit: $1.3] million in tax money at a direct competitor just down the road. It is going to make people think twice about doing business here. Meanwhile they make it so difficult for small businesses to get going. Seems like they want it so that the only people who will do business here are ones that have teams of lawyers to deal with red tape and negotiate million dollar incentive packages. Super frustrating that so much talent coming to Texas from all over the country and this city feels like the best strategy is to follow the policies that made people flee NY and CA. Flushing so much potential down the drain. I wish one of the cities would get their act together.
I agree. The only thing the city should have done is agree to address any infrastructure needs on the highway and access road from the front and rear.

I felt the same thing about Brookshires going in on A&M campus. The state should not be giving favorable terms to private enterprise with both location and property tax advantages. Did A&M put the grocery store on the campus out for public bids so that other grocers could bid on it?
RDH80
AG
Last year 242,000. This year 289,000.....
Wtf ? $47,000 increase on 2000 sq ft and zero improvements ???
happyinBCS
My protest hearing is at the end of the month

This will be my approach I live in a patio home community and I took each property in my neighborhood and calculated the price per square of each (using CAD numbers ) mine is one of the highest at 146 per foot and some are as low as111 a foot (all in great condition same value for each small lot) the average for all is 129.75 per foot and that would lower my valuation by 30K if they used my number for each home some would go up and others like mine would go down but the tax revenue would be the same.

Thoughts ...........................
aggiepaintrain
AG
happyinBCS said:

My protest hearing is at the end of the month

This will be my approach I live in a patio home community and I took each property in my neighborhood and calculated the price per square of each (using CAD numbers ) mine is one of the highest at 146 per foot and some are as low as111 a foot (all in great condition same value for each small lot) the average for all is 129.75 per foot and that would lower my valuation by 30K if they used my number for each home some would go up and others like mine would go down but the tax revenue would be the same.

Thoughts ...........................

Common sense has nothing to do with it, every comp you show they will refute that this house is different than yours in some regard.

FJB
Rexter
Taxable value increase should be tied to COLA so that taxes rise at an equitable rate to costs. 2% COLA gets a 2% increase in value. Purchase price disclosure would have to be mandatory. Your tax value would start at your purchase price, not what someone else thinks it's worth.

woodiewood1
Rexter said:

Taxable value increase should be tied to COLA so that taxes rise at an equitable rate to costs. 2% COLA gets a 2% increase in value. Purchase price disclosure would have to be mandatory. Your tax value would start at your purchase price, not what someone else thinks it's worth.

Requiring a buyer disclose a purchase price would be totally wrong. It's is nobody's business what I paid for a house.
kctemplin85
AG
I used Brazos CAD data as one means of presenting the data and I also gathered recent sales data to have an alternate means of calculating $/Sq Ft valuation. A Realtor can provide this information. Try not to be emotional. Organize your data so that it is easy to follow and upload it to the website before your meeting. I referenced my three Excel charts and the appraiser was complimentary of the information I presented. The appraiser I spoke with listened to my case and we had a very calm discussion. I was successful in getting my valuation lowered to my satisfaction and I believe it was in part because we didn't let the conversation get adversarial.
woodiewood1
kctemplin85 said:

I used Brazos CAD data as one means of presenting the data and I also gathered recent sales data to have an alternate means of calculating $/Sq Ft valuation. A Realtor can provide this information. Try not to be emotional. Organize your data so that it is easy to follow and upload it to the website before your meeting. I referenced my three Excel charts and the appraiser was complimentary of the information I presented. The appraiser I spoke with listened to my case and we had a very calm discussion. I was successful in getting my valuation lowered to my satisfaction and I believe it was in part because we didn't let the conversation get adversarial.

That's totally correct. Get your data ready and don't try to snow them if it's not true. Get your comps and adjust for SF, #beds, #baths, lot size, age. location, and interior and exterior upgrades to your home and the comps and show them your current market value and you more than likely will be successful if you indeed have a case. This is from having done more than 5,000 residential market evaluations for lenders and insurance companies over the past 25 years.
happyinBCS
Do they have access to the MLS ? I have heard that they do and they don't Are tax values suppose to be at market value? The house 2 doors down just sold / closed last week for 270K, the value on CAD is 236K Is my property worth more than the CAD valuation, yes it is, so does that mean I and many others are just wasting our time?
Chase
AG
happyinBCS said:

Do they have access to the MLS ? I have heard that they do and they don't Are tax values suppose to be at market value? The house 2 doors down just sold / closed last week for 270K, the value on CAD is 236K Is my property worth more than the CAD valuation, yes it is, so does that mean I and many others are just wasting our time?
I believe they are allowed to source data from anywhere they want. I know that someone purchasing a home where the price is made public is included. I also know that if someone purchases a home and tears it down, that value then goes into the equation as the land value ONLY.

Our neighborhood has had a bunch of this go on and if they buy a piece of property for $250k and tear the house down, I was told directly that that puts a unimproved land value of $250k on the property. Somehow this happens despite the fact that the builder then splits the lot into two to build two of the stealth dorm houses.
AgsMyDude
AG
Is there a cap in Brazos county? Mine jumped like 20% (180K -> ~219K
dubi
AG
AgsMyDude said:

Is there a cap in Brazos county? Mine jumped like 20% (180K -> ~219K
How much actual tax you pay is capped at 10% per year. They can increase your value more than that.
BrazosWifi
happyinBCS said:

I have a friend who works for CAD.

They don't have direct access to MLS. They have some friendly relators who will look up a house or two if needed. I asked why they didn't just use MLS, he said they would if MLS would let them.

Home values are skyrocketing around here (not because CAD is jacking them up). Have you tried to buy something lately? It's crazy! It's a sellers market.

I don't like paying any more taxes than I have to but the real issue is the spending by our leaders. It doesn't matter the value of the home if the tax rate is low. The government is more than happy to spend every penny they can. We have to rein them in if you want your taxes to go down (or stay stable).
RGRAg1/75
AG
BrazosWifi said:

happyinBCS said:

I have a friend who works for CAD.

They don't have direct access to MLS. They have some friendly relators who will look up a house or two if needed. I asked why they didn't just use MLS, he said they would if MLS would let them.

Home values are skyrocketing around here (not because CAD is jacking them up). Have you tried to buy something lately? It's crazy! It's a sellers market.

I don't like paying any more taxes than I have to but the real issue is the spending by our leaders. It doesn't matter the value of the home if the tax rate is low. The government is more than happy to spend every penny they can. We have to rein them in if you want your taxes to go down (or stay stable).

Which is why they need to use a more objective metric than MLS in a crazy ass sellers market than will be short lived before a correction comes.

I'll never accept 10% YOY increases when the inflation rate just doesn't support it.

Especially the way our tax dollars are allocated/spent. I live in an area that was annexed for the sole purpose of accessing the tax base and experience little to no upside from it.
MisterShipWreck
Well, when I bought my last property, they sent me post cards to tell them what I paid. I never sent them in.

A few years later, I went down there to protest, and they knew exactly what I paid for the place - NOT the listing price. So, they ARE getting that info some place.
BrazosWifi
MisterShipWreck said:

Well, when I bought my last property, they sent me post cards to tell them what I paid. I never sent them in.

A few years later, I went down there to protest, and they knew exactly what I paid for the place - NOT the listing price. So, they ARE getting that info some place.
Some of that gets recorded in the deed records, especially if you have a mortgage.
aggiepaintrain
AG
they know, when I got my value lowered they said although you just paid X (my sales price) we will lower to Y...
On my previous home they also knew the sales price.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.