If you use door to door sales people for your business,

3,841 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BCStalk
trouble
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
For the love of Pete, teach them to introduce themselves by name and business.

I don't need to know that you're "working with a bunch of my neighbors" or "doing a lot of work in the neighborhood".

I might give you a chance if it's a service I need but not if I have to ask multiple times what service it is you are selling.

/End rant
halibut sinclair
Truth
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
But I love it when they call me "King of the Castle." As if my wife couldn't tell them to pound sand just as easily as I could.
trouble
AG
He asked me if I was the "Lady of the house".

Like what?
BaitShack
AG
EnviroGuard pest control guy? A lot of people on nextdoor are complaining about him.

He told several women (After being told no) "I'll stop back by when your husband is home".
armymom
Not sure if same pest company but yesterday wanted to know what company we used. Hubby told him it didn't matter. Bye.
trouble
AG
No idea. He never told me what company. I finally got him to say they were "inspecting" for big activity. I closed the the door before he could say anything about talking to my husband.

I'm still pretty blunt and clear when I say no.
The Brazos Kid
This is what I put next to my front door.

Has worked well!
PS3D
Remember that door to door guy a few years back who was actually jumped bail from Ohio? Makes me wonder if these people are actually vetted by their employers.
dubi
AG
trouble said:

He asked me if I was the "***** of the house".

FIFY
trouble
AG
I would have said yes
spike427
AG
He asked me if I was the boss. I told him I was the Chief Procurement Agent. He said, yup, same thing. I didn't want to be rude and slam the door in his face but he was really annoying.
Broncos
If you use door to door sales people for your business...

Don't. There is a 0 percent chance I'll ever consider your business.
aggirl92
My daughter answered the door yesterday and then told me it took the guy 5 minutes of questions and answers to finally say that he was with a pest control company.
Jason_InfinityRoofer
BaitShack said:

EnviroGuard pest control guy? A lot of people on nextdoor are complaining about him.

He told several women (After being told no) "I'll stop back by when your husband is home".

Yikes. You know, a large percentage of the time, the husband may sign the contract, but the wife makes the decision. Lots of husbands (myself included) just want the power to veto and it's not often exercised...unless you're a jerk to their wife.

Also, companies that hire out door knocking sales like you're seeing aren't "training" them for anything. They may give them a script but they hire 50 and hope 5 work out and the rest snag a lead or two. There is no barrier to entry. Everyone thinks it's easy. And thus, it's a high volume and high turnover job that irritates people.
dubi
AG
BaitShack said:

I don't think my hubby even knows who I have chosen for pest control, lawn work, etc.
Corn Pop
BaitShack said:

That's freaking hilarious, and stupid. As someone that uses some door to door marketing that is a beyond stupid thing to say.
Mmetag10
AG
Stopped by my house. Started by telling me all the people on my street he services. Each and every one were the neighborhood jerks no one likes. Told him repeatedly i wasn't interested but he wouldn't take the hint. Finally just said dude no. Then he walked off it a huff i wanted to call after him to say dude you wasted your own time i told you from the beginning i wasn't interested.
kevmiller
Pretty much when I open the door

First thing I say is " are you selling a product or service"

When they respond " yes"

Don't give them a chance to say anything else and say " not interested, thank you, good luck " and close the door , usually while they are still talking.

legalbird
Home invasion tactic. Why open the door? If not home invasion, it is common to knock on front door before walking around to the back yard to break in.

It is the same as a telemarketer. Don't get involved.

Broncos
My wife opened the door for one of these dweebs the other day...

needless to say, they quickly left and said "thanks for your time" when our two German Shepherds came around the corner and stood next to her. It helped that they were barking like they were soon going to turn him into a chew toy.
doubledog
In the CoCS ask for their city of college station permit.
I sent may a out of town roofer on their way..

--------------
Solicitors in College Station
Andy Drake from College Station Police Department 17 Feb 14

City Ordinance requires that all solicitors and handbill distributors have a permit to do business in the City of College Station. There is no such thing as a "state soliciting permit".

If you have contact with a solicitor, ask to see their City of College Station permit. If they refuse to show you a permit or if they are overly aggressive, please contact the police department. It is helpful if you can provide a description of the solicitor (including clothing), direction of travel and a license plate if they are in a vehicle.

I have attached a sample of what the permit should look like and all permits will have the red City of College Station stamp on it.

Just like any other situation, if you do not feel comfortable please contact the College Station Police Department at 979-764-3600 to report suspicious activity.

17 Feb 14 Subscribers of College Station Police Department in 60 neighborhoods in Safety
Thisguy1
Are these the idiots riding around on the little hoverboards?
BCStalk
I had one of those guys a few weeks ago. I don't answer our front door for anyone so I just watched him on camera hoverboard himself on down the road after about 5 times knocking.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.