Mooney needs to go

9,986 Views | 72 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Uncle Bug
rodan85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

COLLEGE STATION, Texas (KBTX) - On Tuesday, in a letter addressed to Senate Leadership, 152 mayors across the country called on senators to consider two pieces of legislation to curb gun violence. Two bills are currently under consideration, HR 8, the Bipartisan Background Checks Act, and HR 1446, the Enhanced Background Checks Act. The goals of both bills are to strengthen the gun background check system.

Seven Mayors across Texas signed the bipartisan letter, saying the proposed bills would close serious loopholes in the background check system and prevent dangerous individuals from circumventing the laws and obtaining deadly weapons.

With recent shootings across the country and a mass shooting locally that wounded six and claimed the life of one, College Station Mayor Karl Mooney voiced his support in the letter to Senators. Mooney says he, along with other members of the United States Conference of Mayors, felt that voicing their concern was important.
https://www.kbtx.com/2021/04/15/local-mayor-pens-letter-asking-senate-to-consider-strengthening-background-check-for-gun-purchases/

Stolen from Forum 16
cavscout96
AG
One among a long list of reasons.

Muzzleblast
Surprised?
Elect anti freedom liberals and get liberal stuff.
Politicians show you who they are by their actions.
AG81
AG
rodan85 said:

Quote:

COLLEGE STATION, Texas (KBTX) - On Tuesday, in a letter addressed to Senate Leadership, 152 mayors across the country called on senators to consider two pieces of legislation to curb gun violence. Two bills are currently under consideration, HR 8, the Bipartisan Background Checks Act, and HR 1446, the Enhanced Background Checks Act. The goals of both bills are to strengthen the gun background check system.

Seven Mayors across Texas signed the bipartisan letter, saying the proposed bills would close serious loopholes in the background check system and prevent dangerous individuals from circumventing the laws and obtaining deadly weapons.

With recent shootings across the country and a mass shooting locally that wounded six and claimed the life of one, College Station Mayor Karl Mooney voiced his support in the letter to Senators. Mooney says he, along with other members of the United States Conference of Mayors, felt that voicing their concern was important.
https://www.kbtx.com/2021/04/15/local-mayor-pens-letter-asking-senate-to-consider-strengthening-background-check-for-gun-purchases/

Stolen from Forum 16
I wouldn't mind if someone, it won't be the media, actually reported more on this shooting and this guy. Would some sort of different background check have prevented him from getting a gun? If not, how would it have prevented this incident? All I've read is that he had been harassed. Haven't read anything about how he got the gun.
BaitShack
AG
Backdoor gun registry.
BaitShack
AG
From the letter in the article...

An overwhelming majority of our constituents support these bills that can help save lives by ensuring that individuals who are prohibited from owning firearms cannot circumvent the system.
cavscout96
AG
BaitShack said:

From the letter in the article...

An overwhelming majority of our constituents support these bills that can help save lives by ensuring that individuals who are prohibited from owning firearms cannot circumvent the system.
hardly...
cavscout96
AG
Contrast Money with this:

Quote:

04-15-2021

After completing my 8th year as the Sheriff of Washington County and my 24th year of providing law enforcement services to Washington County specifically, I have seen changes nationwide that concern me a great deal. These changes range from 'robo calls' that no one seems to be able to stop or control, to the nuisance scam artists that prey on our elderly and our unsuspecting citizen. It also includes a local level of defrauding that I am seeing rise in frequency and in 'believability.' I strongly encourage you to not only beware, but also verify any services that you may be considering as you have never done before, because these are strange new times. I believe that a large part of my range of responsibilities is for our office to do all it can to maintain law and order while also protecting our elderly, our children, and our mentally challenged.

Here in Washington County, Texas, we all agree that should law enforcement in general fail, society as a whole is in grave danger. It astounds me to hear that some 'highly educated professionals' believe law enforcement is not necessary and that the country is better off without us. In order to have the freedoms, opportunities, and balance required to thrive, there must be law and order nationwide. I would be irresponsible if I failed to note that we must also protect our Constitutional rights that absolutely include the 2nd amendment...
jwj
So you approve or disapprove of mentally ill or criminals being able to purchase guns? The proposal is background checks not limitations on others
jim james
BrazosWifi
jwj said:

So you approve or disapprove of mentally ill or criminals being able to purchase guns? The proposal is background checks not limitations on others

Have you bought a gun recently? This is covered in the current background checks. No need to shove more restrictions on the law abiding citizens.
jwj
Doesn't cover all sales
jim james
deh40
AG
jwj said:

It's already covered by current background check.
You really think this will keep a criminal from getting a gun?
BCSWguru
"Shall not be infringed"

Pretty clear, even for a lawyer.
jwj
Not correct. Read the bill. Gun shows. Answer the question please
jim james
jwj
Bazookas much?Perhaps rather than attacks on profession an understanding of context would help your understanding
jim james
BCSWguru
jwj said:

Bazookas much?Perhaps rather than attacks on profession an understanding of context would help your understanding

It's right there in black and white. Been around almost 250 years.
EliteElectric
LSCSN said:

"Shall not be infringed"

Pretty clear, even for a lawyer.

https://www.kbtx.com/2021/04/15/texas-house-gives-initial-approve-to-constitutional-carry-which-would-allow-people-to-carry-a-gun-without-a-license/
benchmark
AG
jwj said:

Bwahaha .... as if regulating gun shows will move the needle on gun violence.
Rapier108
jwj said:

The "gun show loophole" is a complete myth, made up by the anti-gun crowd.

While private sellers do not have to run a background check, every seller at a gun show who is already a dealer with a FFL is required to, and this comprises most of the sales at gun shows. No one can even find the last time a gun used in a major shooting was purchased through a private sale at a gun show.

Criminals will get guns illegally like they always do. We cannot punish law abiding citizens because someone may buy a gun today, and 10 years later commit a crime with it.

The real purpose is to create a backdoor registry so confiscation can happen.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
jwj
Answer the above question. If you are a constitutional literalist there is no constitutional issue as to any firearm developed after the Constitution. I own guns. That is not the issue raised
jim james
Mister Mystery Guest
If you are a constitutional literalist, there is no constitutional limitation to firearms developed before the Constitution.
cavscout96
AG
Covers all sales from a dealer to an individual or another dealer.
jwj
Muskets and flintlocks would have protection. Aks not so much. Nor revolvers. Nor any semi autos
jim james
cavscout96
AG
Including gun shows.
Mister Mystery Guest
Read more carefully.
Wicked Good Ag
lets move this back to the politics board
BCSWguru
jwj said:

Muskets and flintlocks would have protection. Aks not so much. Nor revolvers. Nor any semi autos
now youre just making up stuff
BaitShack
AG
Wicked Good Ag said:

lets move this back to the politics board
Not so sure since he is speaking on behalf of the citizens of College Station.
dogowner
As a citizen of College Station I fully support our mayor and his proposed bill
BaitShack
AG
dogowner said:

As a citizen of College Station I fully support our mayor and his proposed bill
Its not his bill. He is signing on to a form letter on our behalf.
dogowner
Then I support him signing onto a form letter on our behalf, didnt we just have a mass shooting in our community?
BaitShack
AG
dogowner said:

Then I support him signing onto a form letter on our behalf, didnt we just have a mass shooting in our community?
Oh ***** Let's surrender all of our rights!
dogowner
Still have the right to own a gun just trying to make sure mentally unstable people dont buy one a week before they shoot up their place of work and innocents you know? Seems simple to me
BaitShack
AG
Are you local to BCS? Let's meet up for a conversation. I doubt I could change your mind or you could change mine. Might be fun. Free trip to champions if we click?

I'll give you the annoying safety briefing that I subject all to.
new straw
Sounds a lot like a threat.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.