Brazos County Immunity

1,627 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by TAMU1990
benchmark
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
As of yesterday, Brazos County (pop 219,193) reported 21,730 total cases (9.9%) and 72,238 vaccinations (33% with at least 1 shot). That's 43% of the population. Doing the math at (say) 1,000 shots/day, Brazos Co would achieve 75% in late May .... and almost 90% by late June. I assume the rest of Texas shows a similar trajectory.

Has anyone seen similar projections?
jja79
AG
What percentage total do you expect? A significant percentage of the population doesn't experiment with drugs.
MiMi
S
Remember that some individuals that tested positive received a vaccination, so there is some overlap in reported positive cases and numbers vaccinated.

I doubt that the increase in the vaccination numbers will continue at the same pace. A combination of the hub closure, J&J pause, and the fact that those that wanted a vaccine have likely received it by now, I think the daily vaccine numbers will likely drop significantly.
isitjustme
AG
benchmark said:

As of yesterday, Brazos County (pop 219,193) reported 21,730 total cases (9.9%) and 72,238 vaccinations (33% with at least 1 shot). That's 43% of the population. Doing the math at (say) 1,000 shots/day, Brazos Co would achieve 75% in late May .... and almost 90% by late June. I assume the rest of Texas shows a similar trajectory.

A few things. First, many of the vaccinated previously had covid, so you might ave a bit of double counting in the 43%. Second, about 19% of the population is under 16 and there is no vaccine approved for them. Third, about 35% are age 16-24, and most won't get and very likely don't need the vaccine. Fourth, many adults over 24 just aren't going to get it, as high as 1/3 by some polls.

So I think your projections are a bit optimistic and I think maybe 1/2 at most will take the vaccine. And we will still have herd immunity.
benchmark
AG
jja79 said:

What percentage total do you expect? A significant percentage of the population doesn't experiment with drugs.
Good question. And by age ... what % of adults ... and what % below age 18? The under 18 age group is about 20% of the population.
benchmark
AG
isitjustme said:

A few things. First, many of the vaccinated previously had covid, so you might ave a bit of double counting in the 43%. Second, about 19% of the population is under 16 and there is no vaccine approved for them. Third, about 35% are age 18-24, and most won't get and very likely don't need the vaccine. Fourth, many adults over 24 just aren't going to get it, as high as 1/3 by some polls.

So I think your projections are a bit optimistic and I think maybe 1/2 at most will take the vaccine. And we will still have herd immunity.
True ... and also the question of how many cases were undetected or unreported.
Hammerheadjim
AG
isitjustme said:

benchmark said:

A few things. First, many of the vaccinated previously had covid, so you might ave a bit of double counting in the 43%. Second, about 19% of the population is under 16 and there is no vaccine approved for them. Third, about 35% are age 16-24, and most won't get and very likely don't need the vaccine. Fourth, many adults over 24 just aren't going to get it, as high as 1/3 by some polls.

Spot on.
You might have a cluster here and there. Like a smoking forest fire you stamp out the flames of the cluster. This summer is going to be so much different than last year
Walk softly and carry a big stick! Make sure the big stick makes big boom noises and flashy bright lights.
TAMU1990
AG
There's plenty of positive cases of kids who did not get tested - like my kid. How do I know? My family got antibody testing.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.