So how many doses are not being taken?

2,771 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by benchmark
Tex Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Always see how many shots there's supposed to be available but never any data about how many actually get done. How many are not getting used?
Opened it up to everyone because not that many people actually want the thing? I'd tend to bet so.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
I've been in the Kroger on Longmire several mornings in the past two weeks and have heard them announce that they have vaccines available to anyone if you wanted to stroll over and get one. Just come get 'em.

I would bet they have an abundance and some go to waste.
Tex Aggie
AG
I don't want one at all. My point is that exactly, how many people feel the same? And how many of these vaccines aren't being utilized like they originally thought
jeffk
AG
Daily vaccination numbers are updated in this thread: https://texags.com/forums/35/topics/3102156/last#last
toolshed
AG
I received a notice that the Brazos hub is closing soon. I imagine it's due to lack of mass response at this point and that clinics and pharmacies can handle the load of people wanting shots at this point.

I know KBTX has been pushing a researcher talking about how minorities are getting the vaccine in disproportionate numbers and, in my opinion, trying to attribute it to things that aren't necessarily the case. I wonder how much of the issue is them simply not wanting the vaccine, as several on here have stated for themselves as well.

I even saw a story that nearly half of enlisted Marines (I think) are refusing the shot. I think there's just a larger portion of the population that is willing to hedge their bets and not take the shot, which I don't disagree with. I preferred not to, but being a cancer survivor with one kidney and overweight, my wife insisted and I complied, because while I may be dumb, I'm not dumb enough to not do what my wife requests!! (Most of the time)
4lilmonkeys
Tex Aggie said:

I don't want one at all. My point is that exactly, how many people feel the same? And how many of these vaccines aren't being utilized like they originally thought
I think that most people who are declining vaccination just aren't being vocal about it. The ones I know personally are tired of the massive virtue signaling and afraid of being labeled as anti-vaxxers when the truth is, they don't care if OTHER people get it, they're just choosing not to
techno-ag
AG
toolshed said:

I received a notice that the Brazos hub is closing soon. I imagine it's due to lack of mass response at this point and that clinics and pharmacies can handle the load of people wanting shots at this point.

I know KBTX has been pushing a researcher talking about how minorities are getting the vaccine in disproportionate numbers and, in my opinion, trying to attribute it to things that aren't necessarily the case. I wonder how much of the issue is them simply not wanting the vaccine, as several on here have stated for themselves as well.

I even saw a story that nearly half of enlisted Marines (I think) are refusing the shot. I think there's just a larger portion of the population that is willing to hedge their bets and not take the shot, which I don't disagree with. I preferred not to, but being a cancer survivor with one kidney and overweight, my wife insisted and I complied, because while I may be dumb, I'm not dumb enough to not do what my wife requests!! (Most of the time)
J&J shot getting pulled for blood clotting might contribute to this. On minorities refusing the vaccination, SNL did a game show skit on that recently. It's apparently an issue in certain communities.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
toolshed
AG
J&J just got pulled yesterday and today. And only really been in the news about it for a few days. My wife/ who's in science, did the math on the published cases of clots vs number of shots administered. It was something like .00003%. I doubt that's much different than effects from other vaccines in the general population, these just make the news whereas others don't.

I do think lack of long term study on the vaccines and rush to market does play into peoples decision about getting the vaccine.

The reluctance and KBTX stories have been talked about for weeks and months. That was part of why our hub lagged, waiting for the first group to get all their shots and people weren't signing up.
BCStalk
4lilmonkeys said:

Tex Aggie said:

I think that most people who are declining vaccination just aren't being vocal about it. The ones I know personally are tired of the massive virtue signaling and afraid of being labeled as anti-vaxxers when the truth is, they don't care if OTHER people get it, they're just choosing not to

I don't really keep up with the COVID stuff, but this really caught my attention. Is this truly a real thing?
EBrazosAg
AG
As a doctor - if you don't want one don't get it. Do I think it's short sighted bordering on stupid - yes. But we allow that every day. Now - don't complain if you can't do something in the private sector (cruise/fly/ etc). It's no shoes no shirt no service. And don't ask me to help your family out if you catch it. But feel free to not get vaccinated. I get your concern. Please get mine when I tell you severity of disease is unpredictable- especially in low risk populations. But I'm all for your freedoms.

In the end the MRNA vaccines are likely superior for many if they have access. J&J and AZ when approved better for hard to reach demographic, especially men, and women over 40.

That pretty much covers my thoughts and a lot of docs I know. Let's all get back to living life and making America a great place. And yes, Fauci should have sat this one out. He was a better hero after AIDS. He has developed some hubris in the interim.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Belton Ag
AG
Quote:

He has developed some hubris in the interim.
Some?

Tornados have some wind.
purplehayes
And don't ask me to help your family out if you catch it.

Interesting... Something something oath unless that isn't done any more...
AgProgrammer
AG
They can't help you if you refuse to help yourself.
PS3D
EBrazosAg said:

And yes, Fauci should have sat this one out. He was a better hero after AIDS. He has developed some hubris in the interim.

The same hero who inflamed public fear by suggesting that AIDS could spread in a normal household in an editorial written in a scientific journal? Uh-huh.

His "mask up, social distancing forever even with the vaccine" song and dance isn't really encouraging people to get the vaccine.
EBrazosAg
AG
That would be helping you as a provider. I'm all in on that. Been there and done that - and still doing so. Pretty sure I'm paying for fast track vaccines as well - and happy to do so like most folks. But not taking my savings thru the government to help someone stay home and not work, etc. . Sorry that wasn't clear for you.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
purplehayes
Agree with you there EBrazos... I'm tired of paying taxes for the benefit of lazy folks as well...
EBrazosAg
AG
Most definitely. And when I see this crisis used to institutionalize more laziness and graft my blood pressure rises ...
Stucco
I'm concerned that at this acceptance rate the US will not reach herd immunity.
4lilmonkeys
BCStalk said:

4lilmonkeys said:

Tex Aggie said:

I don't really keep up with the COVID stuff, but this really caught my attention. Is this truly a real thing?
Which part? I mean, there's at least one response in this very thread that kinda proves my point.

In my personal circles, yes- I have been in face to face conversations with more than one person who labeled those who choose not to get vaccinated as "anti-vax." I have also had close, personal friends say their family refuses to see them unless they get vaccinated (friends, as in more than one). Venture into any COVID topic on this very website and there's always someone saying things like "don't ask for help if you get sick!" The discourse and disconnect between all sides has forced me into not sharing my opinion on anything COVID related. Maybe it's just my experience.
cavscout96
AG
We will.
EBrazosAg
AG
Herd immunity will be a challenge. But it's not really needed. We manage influenza annually without anything close to herd immunity. If we get the majority of high risk individuals vaccinated and the rest of the population just behaves somewhat more cautiously than before - what that is would be a great debate - we will be able to manage just like we do with influenza. Herd immunity would be great and is a aspiration goal, but imho not the only way to go forward.
Hammerheadjim
AG
IMHO if this were a much deadlier disease the vaccination rate would be higher. Also we should take into account that a lot of people probably got the Covid and did not see a doctor or report it. They probably think they won't need a vaccine since they now have natural immunity. Kinda like the stealth Trump voter, they keep their opinions to themselves and carry on.
Walk softly and carry a big stick! Make sure the big stick makes big boom noises and flashy bright lights.
Nosmo
AG
Here's some stats from the CDC website and Texas Vaccine dashboard combined.

Somewhat difficult to compare apples to apples all the time as CDC use 18+ and Texas uses 16+ as age groups. I also think Brazos county's disproportionate amount of 18 - 24 year old population (actually counted or not) skews the data. But here's some recent numbers.

I like to use "at least one dose" as it's a good early indicator of those wanted to get "fully vaccinated".

AT LEAST ONE DOSE

47.6% = 18+ USA
42.6% = 16+ Texas
38.9% = 16+ Brazos county

79.6% = 65+ USA
71.5% = 65+ Texas
80.9% = 65+ Brazos county

I think the "hub" winding down is due to normal transitioning from "rationing", which we are doing now, to more of a flu shot type situation, where people go to pharmacies or clinics at their convenience.

U of H did a survey that said 4/5 of adult Texans would probably get the shot. WSJ says 5/6 adults in a national survey.

A lot of good info in the WSJ link:
https://www.wsj.com/articles/tracking-covid-19-vaccine-distribution-11611355360
techno-ag
AG
EBrazosAg said:

Herd immunity will be a challenge. But it's not really needed. We manage influenza annually without anything close to herd immunity. If we get the majority of high risk individuals vaccinated and the rest of the population just behaves somewhat more cautiously than before - what that is would be a great debate - we will be able to manage just like we do with influenza. Herd immunity would be great and is a aspiration goal, but imho not the only way to go forward.
Appreciate the measured responses and reasonable opinions on here. KUTGW.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
cavscout96
AG
EBrazosAg said:

benchmark
AG
Nosmo said:

U of H did a survey that said 4/5 of adult Texans would probably get the shot. WSJ says 5/6 adults in a national survey.

A lot of good info in the WSJ link:
https://www.wsj.com/articles/tracking-covid-19-vaccine-distribution-11611355360
Thanks. Good info. If 75-80% of adults are immune via vaccinations/antibodies, US death rates would likely approach seasonal influenza or auto accident (appox 100/day). At today's trajectory that could be as early as next month or June.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.