J&J Covid Vaccine Clinic in Bryan 4/16

2,136 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by EBrazosAg
RXAggie02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy guys,
We are having a clinic for any and all over 18 interested in receiving the J&J vaccine this Friday. We currently have 700 doses to administer. Please click link below to register as you MUST have an appointment.

Thanks,
Shane

Update: ON Hold until further notice
spike427
AG
I hunted for 2 weeks for a J&J appt, finally gave up and got the first dose of Moderna today. Rats!
befitter
J&J just got pulled.
EBrazosAg
AG
befitter said:

J&J just got pulled.

Not pulled. But I doubt local vaccination with J&J for a while. But all they did was recommend a pause while evaluating. That's different than pulled.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
trouble
AG
FDA and CDC are recommending a pause in administration of J&J. It has not been "pulled".

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2021/04/13/986709618/u-s-recommends-pausing-use-of-johnson-johnson-vaccine-over-blood-clot-concerns
Goose83
AG
For the time being, "paused" is for all purposes the same as being "pulled."

Perception is reality, and it's quite possible that the J&J, even if it's ruled safe to use, will be shunned by the public from here on out (especially if supplies of the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines remain steady).

Hate to see this though, as even though it might not be as effective percentage-wise as the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines, its ease of use and storage made it a valuable option, nonetheless.
nought
AG
This amazes me. There have been 6 instances of a blood clot reaction in over 6.8 million doses. That's less than 1 adverse reaction per every million doses.

I thought COVID-19 was so awful that we had to try to stop it?

If you believe the CDC numbers, over 1700 people per every 1 million people in the U.S. have died from COVID-19.

As effective as they say the Johnson and Johnson vaccine is, if they gave it to every person in the U.S., it should cut the death rate from COVID-19 way more than just by 1 out of a million people.

In this case, the disease is indeed worse than the cure, so why pull the cure?
jeffk
AG
On one hand, I'm really glad we're taking vaccine safety so seriously, but on the other hand, the messaging on this really couldn't have been handled worse. In almost every story I've read today, the incidence rates of the blood clotting issue have been buried way down the page and not mentioned at all in the headline.
trouble
AG
The reporting has been horrible. It's 6 cases in 6.8 million doses given. They are pausing to look at other factors that might be common in those 6 women (birth control, smoking, other medical issues). It may change recommendations on who receives it.

With anything else, this wouldn't likely have been paused. However, the anti vaxx people are already jumping all over it so it's out of "an overabundance of caution" that they are recommending it.
jeffk
AG
Yeah, and I just felt like we were overcoming some of the hesitancy too.
techno-ag
AG
Goose83 said:

For the time being, "paused" is for all purposes the same as being "pulled."

Perception is reality, and it's quite possible that the J&J, even if it's ruled safe to use, will be shunned by the public from here on out (especially if supplies of the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines remain steady).

Hate to see this though, as even though it might not be as effective percentage-wise as the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines, its ease of use and storage made it a valuable option, nonetheless.
I don't know. The AZ one in Europe has been on and off in different countries for blood clot concerns. J&J might be back, too.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
nought
AG
You're right about the hesitancy. We're only at about 20% of the eligible population in Brazos County being fully vaccinated, yet the Hub is already about to shut down pretty much because of lack of demand. They say it is because other providers now have supply. Yes, they have supply, but with 80% of the population still unvaccinated, we're a long way from herd immunity.

The government at all levels has done a terrible job of encouraging and convincing people to get one of the vaccines.

"Do it to save lives, but you'll still need to double mask and hide at home alone" is not an effective messaging strategy.
exalted512
AG
To be fair, that's 6 in 6 million doses that have only just now been verified. They are likely wanting to make sure there are no longer-term issues as well. This was the same vaccine that was paused during trials as well.
johnnyblaze36
AG
nought said:

You're right about the hesitancy. We're only at about 20% of the eligible population in Brazos County being fully vaccinated, yet the Hub is already about to shut down pretty much because of lack of demand. They say it is because other providers now have supply. Yes, they have supply, but with 80% of the population still unvaccinated, we're a long way from herd immunity.

The government at all levels has done a terrible job of encouraging and convincing people to get one of the vaccines.

"Do it to save lives, but you'll still need to double mask and hide at home alone" is not an effective messaging strategy.
A lack of demand seems appropriate in a a community filled with 60,000 healthy 18-22 year old college students who have more than likely already had the virus and have no reason to take the vaccine.
dubi
AG
https://instagr.am/p/CNnRLrDBLmj
befitter
EBrazosAg said:

befitter said:

J&J just got pulled.

Not pulled. But I doubt local vaccination with J&J for a while. But all they did was recommend a pause while evaluating. That's different than pulled.
LOL. Pulled, Paused, whatever....they aren't doing the clinic.
EBrazosAg
AG
Correct. And not associated with my statement. And not funny - probably will result in more deaths than it prevents. Not as much locally in the short term - we are pretty much swimming in vaccine. But in the excuses it adds to avoid vaccination.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.