Looking for job for Autistic daughter in B/CS working with animals

2,755 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by ShaggySLC
java94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy. My daughter is high functioning on the Autism spectrum and we are looking for job opportunities for her. She just turned 21, but doesn't drive, so we will have to transport her. She's finishing up Project SEARCH through CSISD this Spring. She is currently half way through her third internship in this program, which is at Sit Means Sit in Wellborn. It's been a wonderful opportunity for her, but unfortunately, it doesn't sound like it's going to turn in to a job offer. Her first two internships were withing Scott&White Hospital, but she really would like to work with animals.

Anyone know of any opportunities in this area? She would be great as a pet sitter or kennel tech. She has applied for current openings at America's Country Store and a dog groomer that I can't recall the name of. She can perform some office type duties, but not very strong in math skills, so money handling is probably not a good idea.

Thanks in advance!
Monywolf
I hope she finds what she is looking for!
TxA&Mhunter
AG
Have you considered pet smart?
Girlhowdy
AG
I would check with TAMU small animal hospital.
skeetboy3
AG
God bless. My son (also autistic) is a ways away from employment years, but I know the search will be difficult. Good on you for getting out there and helping.
maddiedou
AG
Text me tomorrow I do not have anything right now but we sometimes go on vacation and we used to go quite a bit before china flu but hopefully it will be back to normal and maybe we can help alittle bit with and help out We have 4 cats that need help when we leave

979-eight two o -l87o
maddiedou
Hammerheadjim
AG
java94 said:

Howdy. My daughter is high functioning on the Autism spectrum and we are looking for job opportunities for her. She just turned 21, but doesn't drive, so we will have to transport her. She's finishing up Project SEARCH through CSISD this Spring. She is currently half way through her third internship in this program, which is at Sit Means Sit in Wellborn. It's been a wonderful opportunity for her, but unfortunately, it doesn't sound like it's going to turn in to a job offer. Her first two internships were withing Scott&White Hospital, but she really would like to work with animals.

Anyone know of any opportunities in this area? She would be great as a pet sitter or kennel tech. She has applied for current openings at America's Country Store and a dog groomer that I can't recall the name of. She can perform some office type duties, but not very strong in math skills, so money handling is probably not a good idea.

Thanks in advance!
Howdy,
My daughter is also autistic, just turned 21, and is the joy of life. She is just finishing up her Adult Education classes at Bryan HS. She loves working with animals also and was interning at the Aggieland Humane Society on Leonard Rd. They have both volunteer and paid opportunities. Covid slowed them down drastically, but she should be rejoining them this summer. I am sure they would be glad to talk with you.

Additionally, several of the local vicenarians may be interested.

Best wishes!
Walk softly and carry a big stick! Make sure the big stick makes big boom noises and flashy bright lights.
java94
AG
Thank you all for the replies! We're hoping she finds something she loves. My cross-post on the Job Network board had a reply that Aggieland Humane is hiring. We'll be sure to get an application in there!

Jinx
java94 said:

Thank you all for the replies! We're hoping she finds something she loves. My cross-post on the Job Network board had a reply that Aggieland Humane is hiring. We'll be sure to get an application in there!

It was a long time ago but I believe the shelter employed a young man there who had a developmental disability. He worked there for many years. Good luck
newsjunkie
Hi, my daughter is also 21 and high function. She also does not drive.

My question, where does your daughter (or the other ones that have responded) get therapy? I would love for my daughter to be able to have group therapy but her doctor (MHMR) hasnt found anything yet.

The covid has been very hard on her as she has a tendency to isolate anyway and this made it worse.

Thanks in advance and God bless yall's daughters.
skeetboy3
AG
newsjunkie said:

My question, where does your daughter (or the other ones that have responded) get therapy? I would love for my daughter to be able to have group therapy but her doctor (MHMR) hasnt found anything yet.

The covid has been very hard on her as she has a tendency to isolate anyway and this made it worse.

Not sure if they go up that high in age and the extent that they do group therapy; however, we have been happy with Empower Behavioral Health for ABA therapy for my son.
java94
AG
We haven't done group therapy outside of the school setting in many years. Sorry I can't help with that.
mamatrio
It looks as if Highway 40 vet. is hiring. At least there was a "hiring" sign on the building. Maybe worth a call. Best of luck

I also have a 20, almost 21 year old autistic daughter. Brazos Rehab. had behavioral therapy classes but I was told our daughter was too "high functioning" to benefit from those classes. That was many years ago. What a benefit there would be for these young adults to have the opportunity to benefit from group behavioral therapy. I have never located any other group therapy, only individual CBT.

Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
skeetboy3 said:

newsjunkie said:

Not sure if they go up that high in age and the extent that they do group therapy; however, we have been happy with Empower Behavioral Health for ABA therapy for my son.

How old is your son?

We are in a weird place with our 7yr old kid on the spectrum. He's high functioning and the local facilities (including EBH) have said there's not much more they can do with him at this point. His 3 main things are : 1) Immediate comprehension (has a 2-3 second delay on everything he hears to process it), 2) Focus , and 3) Stimming.

We have considered trying to get him therapy in a bigger city like Houston (maybe better resources there?) but its frustrating because he's really really intelligent and funny but that issue 1 especially is keeping him more than anything from being a bit more independent. If anyone knows of a local therapist that specializes in 1 on 1 work (ABA preferred) I'd be really grateful. You can PM me if you'd like.
skeetboy3
AG
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

skeetboy3 said:

newsjunkie said:

How old is your son?

We are in a weird place with our 7yr old kid on the spectrum. He's high functioning and the local facilities (including EBH) have said there's not much more they can do with him at this point. His 3 main things are : 1) Immediate comprehension (has a 2-3 second delay on everything he hears to process it), 2) Focus , and 3) Stimming.

We have considered trying to get him therapy in a bigger city like Houston (maybe better resources there?) but its frustrating because he's really really intelligent and funny but that issue 1 especially is keeping him more than anything from being a bit more independent. If anyone knows of a local therapist that specializes in 1 on 1 work (ABA preferred) I'd be really grateful. You can PM me if you'd like.
He is 14, but he is not high functioning.
Tattoo
AG
Not with animals, but worth checking out: https://thebeecommunity.com/home
ShaggySLC
Shenandoah Vet Clinic would be a good place to check.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.