Tour of campus?

1,284 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TommyBrady
boulderaggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy - is there anyone able to help out someone looking for a tour of campus?

Chicago2025AG is looking for some help...

https://texags.com/forums/12/topics/3191811

Some Aggie Spirit would be greatly appreciated! Gig'em
bobinator
AG
Why don't they want to just go on the regular campus tour?
TommyBrady
AG
Regular campus tours are so bad that most students don't want to go here. I know of at least 25 students who after the tour were not going to attend until they were able to come tour with some current student friends.

The tours we provide suck
bobinator
AG
When was the last time you heard that?
GnomeTalmbout
TommyBrady said:

Regular campus tours are so bad that most students don't want to go here. I know of at least 25 students who after the tour were not going to attend until they were able to come tour with some current student friends.

The tours we provide suck
Are we providing the "woke" (aka Sully is bad) tour?
TXCityGirl
The Appelt Visitors Center hosts daily tours with excellent tour guides!

Please register here
https://www.tamu.edu/visitors/register.html
bobinator
AG
FWIW i fairly recently took the Visitor Center's tour and I thought it was pretty good and I'm a pretty tough critic of tours. It's definitely always better if you have a friend and can see the school more in-depth because there's a lot more to it than you could ever fit into one campus tour. You can also get to see more of the town if you know someone already here.

But for just a good overview of the university I thought the regular campus tour was good.
TommyBrady
AG
I have no idea if it has changed in the last year but it's been widely known the tours have sucked for years and the last one I took was a year and a half ago. We had 3 current freshman who we were able to get to choose TAMU who after the tour thought it wasn't the place for them.

Go tour other universities and you'll see the difference in effort and energy put in to winning students over. The mood at TAMU is we are awesome and you'll be lucky to come here, while other universities are recruiting you and making you feel wanted on campus.
bobinator
AG
I've taken a lot of tours a lot of places and that's not really the vibe I got on A&M's tour, but a lot of it is always luck of the draw on the tour guide also.

I also disagree that it's been 'widely known they suck.' I think there was definitely a stretch of time where the Visitor Center needed some new leadership but I think they've been trending the right way for a while now.

One of the biggest mistakes A&M made was probably a decade or so ago when they decided to stop paying the tour guides and made it a student organization. That was a huge mistake. But they finally reversed course a couple of years ago and now they're paid employees again.
TommyBrady
AG
Idk how you can say "its not widely known they suck" when you don't know what most students report back. I work with hundreds of students preparing for getting into Universities for multiple years and it's very understood that the first impression most students get isn't great from the standard tours. I've visited over a thousand campuses so I have a pretty good handle on quality of visits.

I won't keep arguing about this and I'm sure they are continuing to get better and better.
bobinator
AG
I say it because I've interacted with literally thousands of people that have taken the main campus tour and that's not the impression I was getting from them. Certainly not enough that I'd say it was like universally known that they suck.

Obviously you've heard differently so there's no real point arguing about it. i just think that was overstating things a bit.
TommyBrady
AG
You know everything man! You are correct and high merit students love the tours. Will you stop arguing now
bobinator
AG
I mean this is TexAgs... so no... but like I said I can concede that we're hearing different things from different folks.

Have you shared your concerns and any suggestions with the folks in charge of the visitor center?
TommyBrady
AG
Everybody all the way up to the top of the system know the issues. Thus why they pay consultants to help them out after receiving so many poor comments. I love the back and forth but when its not based on reality based data it's not fun.

Have a great day and you should go donate to the new welcome center that is coming. It will help out quite a bit I'm guessing
bobinator
AG
You clearly don't enjoy the back and forth because you've tried to end this conversation like three times and you're just completely dismissive of another point of view on it. I didn't say there haven't been issues or that the tours are perfect, i just don't like a blanket phrase like "it's widely known they suck" when that's not the impression I've gotten from campus visitors.

But if you're not interested in an actual conversation that's fine, I'll move on.
TommyBrady
AG
Its widely known they suck because thats exactly why they hired consultants to come help out lol. Good God it's not hard to tell that theres actual data that firms provide to show how good or bad an entity is performing.

Thats why the new welcome center is coming because over and over again people have said it sucks.

Theres no back and forth with people who are just arguing off anecdotal evidence. I'm done following this thread so argue with yourself.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.