New Highrise at Northgate

4,674 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Aust Ag
Justin2010
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Heard on the radio that they're planning on tearing down the Lutheran chapel (here) and turning it into a high rise. Anybody have any details?

I can't find a news story about it online.
Builder93
AG
It's true. I've seen the plans.
woodometer
AG
New High Rise Planned for Northgate
aggiepaintrain
AG
we needed this!
So excited!
FamousAgg
Far too few luxury high rise student apartments in town. Great win for CS!
techno-ag
AG
Hopefully it'll keep more students off the road. They can walk to class and NG. Win-win.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
ReelAg6
That thing is about the ugliest student housing project that has been built since Zislander
doubledog
The high rise will be taller than the O&M building on campus. The aggie skyline will grow.
txyaloo
AG
ReelAg6 said:

That thing is about the ugliest student housing project that has been built since Zislander
Fits right in with Blocker, old Zachary, etc. Looks like it was designed in the mid-80s
Drilltime
This will belong to the Luthren church and pay no taxes. Houses and apartments that would have paid taxes will now be empty, while this pays nothing. Combine this wiith the university paying no tax on its expanding commetcial operations and you have a big problem. Thae rest of us pay more.
AggieBaseball06
AG
Hideous.
milner79
Drilltime said:

This will belong to the Luthren church and pay no taxes. Houses and apartments that would have paid taxes will now be empty, while this pays nothing. Combine this wiith the university paying no tax on its expanding commetcial operations and you have a big problem. Thae rest of us pay more.
Source?

If a house of worship (or other qualified charity) abandons its charitable purpose in favor of a commercial enterprise on a particular property, said property loses its tax exempt status, in my understanding.
PlanoAg98
AG
I remember when University Towers was the only high rise off campus student housing. It was only for the rich folks.
W
AG
not sure that is accurate regarding the property taxes
birdman
That's not how I read into it. The Lutheran Center is selling it's property. The owner of high rise is building out the bottom floor for Lutherans. Building owner will likely rent it to Luthern Center for $1 year and long lease.

Lutherans won't pay taxes because they will be a renter.
EBrazosAg
AG
I think you are correct. And even if the Lutherans owned it, if they are renting out apartments and retail they have to pay taxes on that portion of the property. They can't keep non church activity property off the tax rolls.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Aust Ag
AG
KorbinDallas said:

Far too few luxury high rise student apartments in town. Great win for CS!
I can tell you that the West Campus area in Austin has about 4-5 towers under construction, with around that many completed in the last few years. A&M has been able to avoid that because it's more spread out, with many nearby "conventional" apartments nearby. Also, Park West has been able to provide what a few towers might have (lessening the need) like what tu has going.

A&M currently has only 4, with nothing under construction.
texasaggie04
AG
techno-ag said:

Hopefully it'll keep more students off the road. They can walk to class and NG. Win-win.

They'll still drive and just create further traffic on University.
ReelAg6
I've heard it was a ground lease deal.
Smeghead4761
texasaggie04 said:

techno-ag said:

They'll still drive and just create further traffic on University.
Traffic on the smaller streets leading from University and Wellborn to the complex will probably also be problematic. Those roads aren't designed for a huge apartment complex at that location.

At least most of the other large complexes in Northgate - The Rise, Aspire, The Sterling, etc - already sit right on the major arteries.
w8liftr
How will this new high rise affect BCS real estate in 5 years with the demographic trend of fewer students attending college nationally?

https://www.npr.org/2019/12/16/787909495/fewer-students-are-going-to-college-heres-why-that-matters

https://www.studentclearinghouse.org/blog/fall-2020-college-enrollment-declines-2-5-nearly-twice-the-rate-of-decline-of-fall-2019/
techno-ag
AG
Aren't we like the biggest in the state now? Regardless, I think it's too soon to sound the death knell for students moving to BCS just yet.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
Smeghead4761
A&M is the largest public university in Texas, and, last i checked, the second largest in the country. A few hundred students behind UCF at the start of the school year.
oklaunion
I think I heard the mayor of CS today state that the incoming class of fish is the largest ever of any university in the world.
Captn_Ag05
AG
I think there will still be plenty of demand for attending large state schools in person, going to sporting events, partying, etc. I expect commuter schools, trade schools, and community colleges to see the majority of shift to online and people not wanting to attend in person.
Aust Ag
AG
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.