Harvey Rd/Hwy 6 underpass

2,176 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by 88agg
AgAcGuy12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone else get detoured yesterday by the truck hitting the over pass at Harvey around lunch time? I feel as though that bridge has been hit twice a year for at least the last ten years? The thing that puzzled me was it was a permit load on a semi truck. It had a pilot car behind it but not a pole truck out front that I ever saw. Does TXDOT not know the clearance of the underpass and directed this guy under it? Every permit load I've ever seen is given strict route and time maps. I know when hauling large tractors to the valley they had to be through a certain area at a certain time due to traffic patterns. The truck yesterday was carrying a very large Daikin air conditioner or boiler of some sort. It was big. It had some damage and there were some small chunks of cement on the ground.

I feel like I need to stay in the left lane on 6 now when I'm headed south just in case!
rsa
AG
I sometimes wonder how accurate the clearance measurement is. Is it the lowest measurement, an average of measurements, and has it been updated after being resurfaced in the not too distant past?

Those of us ho grew up in Houston in the 70s might remember the Hazard St, bridge over Hwy 59 kept getting nailed by trucks. The clearance sign was never updated over the years after road work, and when TXDot finally got around to checking it thoroughly determined the old clearance signs were off by several inches.
doubledog
I blame google maps .... If only there was a way to plan your route to avoid underpasses.
Tailgate88
AG
Well, it could be worse!

http://11foot8.com/
Post removed:
by user
88agg
AG
clearance is checked every 2 years and signs usually are posted at 3" less than actual clearance for a factor of safety.

My guess is they didn't follow their permitted route.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.