New Home Build Time

4,154 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by techno-ag
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What's the board consensus on how long a new home of about 3500-4000 sqft might take in CS assuming there's no special qualities or engineering if ground were broken today?
AgProgrammer
AG
Depends on the builder. Probably 8-10 months.
spike427
AG
Probably in the 6-8 month range. You'd be in by the holidays if you start now. We built a ~2700SF house last year and we closed 5 months and 2 days after the slab was poured. It should have been faster - like 4.5 months - except a hiccup with the kitchen cabinets. There were a couple of delays due to COVID-19 that were not supply related.
AggieAces06
AG
Our 3,100 sq ft took about 9 months. Didn't help that it rained almost EVERYDAY. Seriously, the wettest year BCS had had in decades and we were trying to built a house.
cavscout96
AG
Lumber is at an all time high. Materials are scarce Crews are scarce.

3k sf. I'd budget 10 months. I had a buddy who is a custom builder tell me last week that some of the builders he knows aren't taking any new builds right now, only focusing on current projects, because they can't get materials or crews with any decent predictability.
Sleepnumber
AG
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

What's the board consensus on how long a new home of about 3500-4000 sqft might take in CS assuming there's no special qualities or engineering if ground were broken today?
I've had three homes built in B/CS. Once you've selected your builder, add 6-9 months. Take it to the bank.
"The weather, the subs, they have to come from Houston, there's a material shortage," and on and on.
Bullpen Chias
AG
We signed the deal in January. They started in February. We moved in last week of August.
cavscout96
AG
You got lucky. Everything has slowed way down since November/December.
Bullpen Chias
AG
Yes, mine was 2015. But my challenge was all the subs in town were working on Kyle Field.
legalbird
I heard it is $175 sq ft to build now. Truth?

Maybe that will slow new housing starts. There really aren't that many jobs in town where a family could afford that.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
legalbird said:

Maybe that will slow new housing starts. There really aren't that many jobs in town where a family could afford that.

You can get a builder around $160 I think if you really try. We are still bidding but realistically w our mid level home i think we will land around $190. Soil not included.
Three Twenties and A Ten
AG
legalbird said:

Quoted $200psf within last 30 days, in BCS. Reputable builder in town. Nice finishes, but not super high-end.
BCSLocal01
In the home construction business here. Material shortage is real, from lumber to dry wall to fixtures and hardware being pushed back. I wouldn't feel comfortable giving an accurate time frame for move in. It would shift too much from now till actual closing date
KaneIsAble
AG
What he said; it's real and expensive.

Standard windows that were 2-3 weeks are now 8-10. Crazy to wait 3 months for vinyl windows.
birdman
There are two numbers.

Builder will tell you 6 to 9 months.

Actual build will be 12 to 15 months.
Aggie
AG
cavscout96 said:

Lumber is at an all time high. Materials are scarce Crews are scarce.

3k sf. I'd budget 10 months. I had a buddy who is a custom builder tell me last week that some of the builders he knows aren't taking any new builds right now, only focusing on current projects, because they can't get materials or crews with any decent predictability.

This
Custom build I'd plan right now for it to take 3-5 months longer than usual.
And new contracts will be priced very high due to current material cost.
Lumber prices are insane right now
annie88
AG
I'm not building a home but out of curiosity why is lumber so high and why is material scarce?

Just curious.
Currently a happy listless vessel and deplorable. #FJB TRUMP 2024.
rsa
AG
annie88 said:

I'm not building a home but out of curiosity why is lumber so high and why is material scarce?

Just curious.
Reading through the trade sites, Covid-19 restrictions have dinged mill outputs, and tariffs on Canadian softwood (went from $0.35 to $0.41 per thousand board feet on April 1) come up most often. Some trade sites see hope on the horizon as a number of southern mills are ramping up to full production, but even that will not likely bring prices down until the 3rd or 4th quarter this year.

With the price of lumber and other building supplies up 180% over last year, a shortage of skilled workers on the sites, fewer new build starts, and increased demand from consumers we can expect prices to remain high for quite a while.
Smokin Chisel
AG
Decent explanation of price increase.

https://www.connerindustries.com/why-are-lumber-prices-really-so-high/

AgProgrammer
AG
Once those new price points have been established, don't expect them to come down in a hurry. Things are worth what people will pay for them and once it's been established that people will pay higher premiums, that's now what it's worth.
BCSLocal01
(I am not with stylecraft but heard this through the grapevine) - in neighborhoods where style craft is building they are discussing or have just implemented a policy that no houses currently being built can be sold while being built. No contracts signed. A buyer will have to wait until the house is finished. Once the house is finished, style craft is going to price out all materials since the market is so insane right now then price out the house to sell. So they're literally telling people if they're interested in a house to come back once it's complete and they'll quote a price/sign a contract.
techno-ag
AG
BCSLocal01 said:

(I am not with stylecraft but heard this through the grapevine) - in neighborhoods where style craft is building they are discussing or have just implemented a policy that no houses currently being built can be sold while being built. No contracts signed. A buyer will have to wait until the house is finished. Once the house is finished, style craft is going to price out all materials since the market is so insane right now then price out the house to sell. So they're literally telling people if they're interested in a house to come back once it's complete and they'll quote a price/sign a contract.
That seems reasonable. Supplies have been strained and prices insane since the election. Otherwise they might owe more building a house than was paid for it.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
birdman
techno-ag said:

BCSLocal01 said:

That seems reasonable. Supplies have been strained and prices insane since the election. Otherwise they might owe more building a house than was paid for it.
Also seems like a good way to get stuck with lots of unsold inventory n
techno-ag
AG
Maybe. But right now it seems like they can't build enough houses. It's a seller's market.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
jeffk
AG
Yeah, there's like zero single family home inventory in our area.
exalted512
AG
We're about to start building a house. We were quoted $605k in September. We were quoted $687k for the exact same house last week. It's a ****ty time to build, but who knows when it will ever go down.
EvenPar
AG
I'm assuming that doesn't include the land and what is sf of the house?
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
exalted512 said:

We're about to start building a house. We were quoted $605k in September. We were quoted $687k for the exact same house last week. It's a ****ty time to build, but who knows when it will ever go down.

Mind if I ask square footage and builder?
BCSLocal01
Yeah seems like a good idea to me. I was surprised when I heard it bc I've never heard of something like that before. But the builder has to cover their costs so it's a good idea whoever came up with it.
Homes in the $250k range can't be built fast enough around here, I think even with this pricing strategy they won't be stuck with inventory
annie88
AG
Thanks for the information.
Currently a happy listless vessel and deplorable. #FJB TRUMP 2024.
exalted512
AG
EvenPar said:

I'm assuming that doesn't include the land and what is sf of the house?
Correct, just the house. 3600 sq ft
exalted512
AG
~3600sqft. Clay Kolby was the builder. Great guy.
mrm5932
AG
Sounds like that is relatively new then. I signed a contract mid march, but they were limiting number of contracts per week already at that point.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
To update op in interviewing builders looks like if you build with a builder that can keep subs busy and has some sorta systematic rotation for them then you're looking at 10 mths or so from start of dirt or fill work. If you are working with a builder that is outside such resources or rotations (lotsa smaller builders) you are probably looking at 11-12 mths minimum.
techno-ag
AG
10 months is a good rule of thumb. Even if they tell you less, delays are bound to happen.

- Joe Biden

- Kamala Harris
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.