There might be a station in College Station again.

3,114 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Spyderman
WonkaTXRanger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
As part of President Biden's infrastructure plan, there might be a new Amtrak line from Houston to Dallas with a stop in College Station. I wonder how this will effect the high speed rail progress and ultimate success.

https://i.imgur.com/lexoecD.jpg

http://media.amtrak.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/Amtrak-Connects-Us-Fact-Sheet-for-Statement.pdf
PS3D
It's been 15 years and they STILL haven't restored Sunset Limited to Florida from New Orleans.
BlueMiles
AG
The "statement" link is broken.

Looks like they moved it here:
https://media.amtrak.com/2021/03/statement-from-amtrak-ceo-on-president-bidens-american-jobs-plan/
doubledog
The bullet train will be faster and will negate the need for the amtrak line.

Amtrak will deliver you downtown Dallas/Houston however if you want to connect to the airports it is still a hassle.
Stupe
S
Neither of them will be successful.
BlueMiles
AG
But Amtrak says it will be "equitable."
Smeghead4761
Be better if it were profitable.
Stupe
S
The same Amtrak that tore down a station in the 90's because it was obsolete and people chose to drive.
Obsolete before 6 was expanded and divided.
Obsolete when 290 went through Hempstead and Waller.
Obsolete before the 249 Aggie Expressway was planned and started.

That Amtrak?
Mathguy64
AG
Amtrak from Houston to College Station. I'm going out on a limb and saying it takes them 3 hours to make that trip from pull out to offload. And it won't have 3 people getting off on a good day.
Tailgate88
AG
We used to take the Amtrak to Dallas for the weekend back in the day. It was a blast. For like $35 you got a round trip ticket. Left at 11 on Friday and home by 7 on Sunday I think? Good times.
threecatcorner
Amtrak that went Dallas to CS to Houston was fine. It was great to take home for a weekend, took about the same time and cost similar to what it would cost to drive. When they decided to kill it, they switched it to an idiotic schedule that they knew people wouldn't use, only Tuesday and Thursday, I think, so people really couldn't use it to get away for a weekend any more. Before, you could either just miss one day of work/school or less. I purposely didn't have MWF classes too late so I could actually take the train on a Friday without skipping class (think it left at around 11 AM) and came back Sunday night. No way could I skip enough days for Tuesday/Thursday to be reasonable. If they wanted to only have it run twice a week, they could've done any combo of Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday, and still had riders. They switched to that useless schedule, waited for ridership to drop to nothing, and then killed the route completely. I heard they did it on purpose because the same rails are used for Union Pacific and they didn't want Amtrak tying it up when cargo could be coming through. Track might actually belong to UP (think it does at least locally).

As to bullet train, price will be a major decider on if people use it. If the ticket costs around the amount of a plane ticket, I think it's a list less likely than if it's $50.
BlueMiles
AG
BlueMiles said:

But Amtrak says it will be "equitable."

I picked the wrong emoji when I posted that. This is more appropriate I think.
bcstx06
The should add a spur from here to Austin. I wonder where the tracks will be located? West of town or East? Or will they use tracks already here?

Aggie
AG
Tailgate88 said:

We used to take the Amtrak to Dallas for the weekend back in the day. It was a blast. For like $35 you got a round trip ticket. Left at 11 on Friday and home by 7 on Sunday I think? Good times.

We used to take train to Dallas for the Cotton Bowls in the early 90's.
GSS
Another tax $$$$ subsidized boondoggle. Maybe the empty Brazos Transit District buses can be used to take the 1-3 passengers to the Amtrak station, the BTD (with a 90+% tax $$$ budget) would consider that a "win".

NRA Life
TSRA Life
GSS
bcstx06 said:

The should add a spur from here to Austin. I wonder where the tracks will be located? West of town or East? Or will they use tracks already here?

Are you an advocate for this boondoggle?

Refer to "definition of insanity".....
NRA Life
TSRA Life
Spyderman
AG
Grab some popcorn...why the ongoing cover-up? The Phenomenon: FF to 1:22:35 https://tubitv.com/movies/632920/the-phenomenon

An est. 68 MILLION Americans, including 19 MILLION Black Children, have been killed in the WOMB since 1973-act, pray and vote accordingly.

TAMU purpose statement: To develop leaders of character dedicated to serving the greater good. Team entrance song at KYLE FIELD is laced with profanity including THE Nword..
The greater good?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.