Pool Service Recommendation

7,747 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by harrierdoc
Omega6464
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Getting ready to fire my second pool service company in 6 years. The current one completely ignores all communication. My skimmer hasn't worked in months and they make no attempt to repair it, despite my calls and emails. The Yelp reviews for local companies are shockingly bad. Does anybody have a company they can hardily recommend??
"He who attempts to govern, ploughs the sea" -Simon Bolivar
textar4404
Clear Choice Pool Service

Edit to add: We used one of the more well known services for over a year and the quality continued to drop month after month. I switched to Clear Choice Pool Service and couldn't be happier. They send me an email after each visit that details the pool chemistry, what they added, other services performed, and then include pictures of the pool after cleaning. They don't use test strips. The techs use a portable photometer to analyze the water.
75AG
AG
You're going to get the names of everyone's service and they're going to be the best. That said, we've been pleased with The Pool Guy.
Omega6464
The Pool Guy was the first service I had to fire. They let my quail dogs out regularly! Took three days to recover them once. Lucky I got them back at all. Like the first response, above, I watched their service decline over the two years I was with them. Yelp has them with a one-star rating!
75AG
AG
I've had nothing but really good service from them. Dog has stayed in the backyard where she belongs.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Omega6464 said:

The Pool Guy was the first service I had to fire. They let my quail dogs out regularly! Took three days to recover them once. Lucky I got them back at all. Like the first response, above, I watched their service decline over the two years I was with them. Yelp has them with a one-star rating!

Not to derail but I'd be careful going off yelp.

My business had built a bunch of good reviews over the last few years. Yelp Business started calling me about becoming a premium business member or whatever and I kept avoiding their calls. Finally I talked to them one day to get them to stop calling and told them I wasn't interested in their premium or whatever its called and after a continued hard sale situation they finally said ok and we got off the phone. Within 2 months all of my good reviews were deleted by them for some mysterious reason. I've heard an identical story from my nephew that runs a business in Houston as well. They bullied him into their premium service, once he said "no" they slowly deleted many of the good reviews he had earned over the years. We only lost like 11 or 12 but he literally lost like 30+.
MrsGDub04
AG
Zach Lowey at Kahuna Pool Co. is great. They are a small company, Zach use to work for the pool guy. He has lots of pool knowledge, and is great to work with.

9793933166 or email his wife to schedule at carisse@kahunapools.com
Omega6464
75AG said:

I've had nothing but really good service from them. Dog has stayed in the backyard where she belongs.
Yeah, I was absolutely flabbergasted that the technicians left the gate open on five separate occasions, but that was the tip of the iceberg. I even placed a sign on the gate imploring them to close the gate. Didn't help.
Omega6464
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

Omega6464 said:

Not to derail but I'd be careful going off yelp.

My business had built a bunch of good reviews over the last few years. Yelp Business started calling me about becoming a premium business member or whatever and I kept avoiding their calls. Finally I talked to them one day to get them to stop calling and told them I wasn't interested in their premium or whatever its called and after a continued hard sale situation they finally said ok and we got off the phone. Within 2 months all of my good reviews were deleted by them for some mysterious reason. I've heard an identical story from my nephew that runs a business in Houston as well. They bullied him into their premium service, once he said "no" they slowly deleted many of the good reviews he had earned over the years. We only lost like 11 or 12 but he literally lost like 30+.
Thanks. I am started by going off of three different sites and the BBB. Also gathering recommendations from friends and family (like you guys?). Hearing a lot of who to avoid, but not who to hire.
Omega6464
MrsGDub04 said:

Zach Lowey at Kahuna Pool Co. is great. They are a small company, Zach use to work for the pool guy. He has lots of pool knowledge, and is great to work with.

9793933166 or email his wife to schedule at carisse@kahunapools.com
I'll give 'em a shout.
Post removed:
by user
Omega6464
CanyonAg said:

I recently went through the process of changing pool maintenance companies. For context, have a Mobley built pool. He builds nice pools, but I had to get rid of his maintenance in year 1. Had Pool Guy after that. Cutting to the chase, fired them after gross negligence and issues too numerous to list. Would never, ever recommend them.

I interviewed three companies based on neighborhood recommendations - Better Balanced Pools, Kahuna Pools, and Swimming Pool Solutions. I have to say all three impressed me and I don't feel I could have gone wrong with any of them. All seemed night and day better than Mobley or Pool Guy based on my assessment and references.

I selected Better Balanced Pools and they are awesome. I am sitting here wondering why I put up with crappy service, overbilling and flat out incompetence for so long. Super happy with them and would highly recommend. But I would also check out the other two as well. All three impressed me.
Thank you!
JayMM_02
AG
+1 for Better Balanced Pools. Don't have anything to compare to, since they're only service we've used, but they've been great. Personalized and friendly customer service, professional and always very responsive.
Post removed:
by user
ezmoney
AG
Curious as to what your skimmer is doing? Not enough flow to it? Leaves and such not making its way to it? Not a pool company but I have one.
txbudda
I have been using True Light for a couple years now and have not had any problems
https://www.truelightpools.com/
Pea
+1 for True Light Pools.
Rich Cox owns/manages the business and is a man of genuine integrity.
Have used True Light for years and have been pleased.
happyinBCS
Brent Neutzler owner of clear choice is the best in town. his background was with Mobley he ran their service department. His prices are very reasonable and his work ethic is great. I like others on this post have been through many but he is the best by far
AnchorFoundation
Zach and Kahuna Pool
aggiesed8r
AG
Another thumbs up for True Light Pools.
KidDoc
AG
I've used True Light for several years and overall happy with them. This last time it took them several days to respond to the voicemail but it wasn't an urgent issue so no big deal.

I used pool guy at first but communication was horrible and they would just show up and walk into the back yard whenever they happened to show up with no notification that they were coming.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Jon Ponder 08
AG
+1 for Clear Choice! Excellent experience all around!
Omega6464
txbudda said:

I have been using True Light for a couple years now and have not had any problems
https://www.truelightpools.com/
True Light was the second company I had to let go. He stopped communicating altogether. Still trying to figure out why.
txxwildcard
If she has slots opened, best in the business and super honest is Shelby with Aqua Hound Pool services!!!
QuitTrippin
whoops
trouble
AG
I think maaaaaaaaaybe you replied to the wrong thread
histag10
Omega6464
UPDATE: Thank you to all those that replied! I interviewed three outfits and have gone with Louis at Better Balanced Pools. So far the service and communication is great.

I did find out that my pool chlorine was 5X what it should be and my equipment was damaged by the excessive chlorine. Despite texts and emails to my previous provider, he showed up and cleaned the pool in my absence. As I stated, his communication has been lacking, to say the least.

Keep and eye on your pool chemistry. An inexpensive bottle of test strips can tell you a lot about the honesty of your pool service company.
camra
Better balance is awesome
tbone94
AG
Tailgate88
AG
JR Ewing
AG
camra
Better balanced pools. I haven't worried about my pool in years. Louis is da man
75AG
AG
Are they still in business? Website has expired. And I'm likely firing The Pool Guy after tomorrow.
Hornbeck
We use water project. They're better than the pool guy.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.