Local owned coffee shops [Title change]

8,598 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BCS-Ag
scd88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The line for the Starbucks was on the side street (in other words, out of the parking lot) at Tower Point. The Rock Prairie one is similar.

There are a number of locally owned coffee shops; why do our residents keep giving a chain like Starbucks business?

Gogh Gogh
Last Shot Espresso

These are just two in S College Station.

[We have changed the title of this thread and cleaned up some posts to make it easier to read and easier for posters to find local shops that they may not have known about. -Staff]
Kbeauty63
AG
TBH - the Starbucks I go to is the closest coffee shop to home & work. And LOCALS work in the Starbucks
joho
... 1541 Pastries & Coffee

etc.

Your sentiment is a noble one but I'd guess most of the cars lined up at those places have no idea what a TexAgs is.
bobinator
AG
We should probably start a new thread for local coffee if people aren't aware. The new What's the Buzz location has seating and you can get coffee there now and Polite coffee in the Kyle House is nice also and roasts beans there too which gives us a second roaster in town which is pretty cool.
Aggie@state.gov
AG
Dutch Brothers is longer than Starbucks.

What is their attraction?
jeffk
AG
What's the Buzz & Polite are both excellent. Love their beans. (Babe's serves Polite brew now too if you're looking for a pastry or sandwich to go with your coffee.)

Also a big fan of Harvest, but going to the bigger chains isn't bad and has it's place as well. The lines have always been long, but more folks use drive-thru than walk-in now, so that's been aggrevated.
bobinator
AG
I think there's a confluence of appeals.

1) it's better than starbucks
2) there's not a starbucks (or any drive thru coffee place) other than Dutch Bro's on Wellborn
3) the line moves quick. If you haven't been, it's like Chick Fil A, they have like six people outside taking orders before you even get up near the menu thing.
bobinator
AG
At Polite you get a free drink if you buy a bag of beans, that's a pretty good deal.
cavscout96
AG
bobinator said:

I think there's a confluence of appeals.

1) it's better than starbucks
2) there's not a starbucks (or any drive thru coffee place) other than Dutch Bro's on Wellborn
3) the line moves quick. If you haven't been, it's like Chick Fil A, they have like six people outside taking orders before you even get up near the menu thing.
Dunkin says Howdy! They are probably more popular for their coffee than donuts
FlyRod

No love for Minuti on University?
tamufan
Starbucks is fine; to each his own. Popular and ubiquitous; the McDonalds of coffee. But how about some love for La Gabriella's Coffeeshop and Pastries. On Texas right across from TAMU. Try the avocado toast with your pour-over.
jeffk
AG
bobinator said:

At Polite you get a free drink if you buy a bag of beans, that's a pretty good deal.

Oh, absolutely. We've already taken advantage of this special 3x.
jeffk
AG
Gaby's is great! I'm just never over there by campus any more.

Also, my hot coffee take is that McD's has the best coffee of any fastfood chain (including Starbucks).
jac4
AG
bobinator said:

We should probably start a new thread for local coffee if people aren't aware. The new What's the Buzz location has seating and you can get coffee there now and Polite coffee in the Kyle House is nice also and roasts beans there too which gives us a second roaster in town which is pretty cool.

Agree. The best pizza thread is a good one.

BTW 1541 gets my vote for best coffee. If you haven't been, or are wondering what it is, do yourself a favor and go get some. Great pastries as well.
bobinator
AG
If you want to try What's the Buzz, granted the beans are better when you get them freshly roasted directly at their store, but they sell What's the Buzz beans at HEB.
trouble
AG
I need Blake to hurry up downtown because I'm missing the Zeitman's blend from WTB
Rockdoc
AG
Used to buy beans at what's the buzz. Anybody have a recommendation for their best bean? I think I used to get their good stuff blend.
jeffk
AG
We like their Guatemala and Mexico Chiapas roasts the best.
trouble
AG
My favorites are the Tanzania Peaberry and Ethiopia Longberry
bobinator
AG
I like their Columbia Supremo as my like normal everyday cup but I recommend following them on Instagram (they probably post on facebook too but I don't really use Facebook) for when they have their 'microlots,' some of those are really good.
musicforall
Just tried Last Shot. Drive thru, with food options. Calories on the menu, quick and cheerful staff. Coffee was great, you can customize. Don't generally buy coffee out, prefer to buy What's the Buzz and make my own.
bee_mechanic
Sweet Eugene's if in CS, Babe's if in Bryan
tamufan
I really don't go to a coffee shop just for the coffee. I could make that at home, even if not always quite the same. I go to a coffee shop for both coffee and to spend time in a different work environment. So if I go I am almost always staying awhile. But I definitely see the point about the drive-thru.

I don't think Point of View at the Stella has been mentioned. A nice shop for my purpose. It doesn't have a drive thru. I thought twice before mentioning them, because I like the option of going there even if I don't exercise that option very often, and it doesn't need a larger customer base.
Kbeauty63
AG
no, what I was pointing out the 'hate' on Starbucks vs. 'local coffee shops'. To each their own - go where you want to, but hating on the 'national' chains vs. the local guy is pointless to me. The Baristas at Starbucks live here & contribute to the economy just as much as the local 'home owned' ones do.
bobinator
AG
bee_mechanic said:

Babe's Doughnuts is Polite Coffee
I think Burger Mojo uses What's the Buzz Coffee

I like local business synergy
bobinator
AG
I haven't tried Last Shot yet. I'm interested in where they source their beans from also.

If anyone doesn't know, Last Shot is Floyd Raven's place. I think they had a small setup out at the RELLIS campus for a while.
jeffk
AG
bobinator said:

bee_mechanic said:

Babe's Doughnuts is Polite Coffee
I think Burger Mojo uses What's the Buzz Coffee

I like local business synergy

Blue Baker is What's the Buzz too, iirc.
trouble
AG
Yessir
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
My GoTo Starbucks is the one inside Rock Prairie Kroger. They are consistent

Love Dutch but don't 45min line love em so only been a couple times.
scd88
AG
Kbeauty63 said:

no, what I was pointing out the 'hate' on Starbucks vs. 'local coffee shops'. To each their own - go where you want to, but hating on the 'national' chains vs. the local guy is pointless to me. The Baristas at Starbucks live here & contribute to the economy just as much as the local 'home owned' ones do.

They are putting another Starbucks up on Wellborn and SW Parkway. These national chains want nothing more than to put the little guy out of business. Sometimes going to these places is unavoidable; the point of my post was to not rip on Starbucks (their politics aside) but to point out we have local options that would better serve our community.

If we learned nothing from the past year is that we need to do whatever we can to support our local businesses. Why you're so defensive about Starbucks is beyond me.
bobinator
AG
Well there's about to be several more Dutch Bro's. Not sure if that's going to ease the line at Wellborn or just create more lines more places though, haha.
joho
Aggie@state.gov said:

Apparently the Dutch Bros on Wellborn Rd is the only location in Texas (or was?)... and I'm told they have a loyal following elsewhere, at least in the Pacific NW, because of "their vibe".

I'm not a sit-in-a-coffee-drivethru guy either, but a friend of ours from FtWorth detoured over to hit it specifically on a recent trip from Hou.
AggiePhil
AG
Yes, we have the first ones in Texas. Cool for the company to take a chance on CS!
Eliminatus
AG
joho said:

Aggie@state.gov said:

Apparently the Dutch Bros on Wellborn Rd is the only location in Texas (or was?)... and I'm told they have a loyal following elsewhere, at least in the Pacific NW, because of "their vibe".

I'm not a sit-in-a-coffee-drivethru guy either, but a friend of ours from FtWorth detoured over to hit it specifically on a recent trip from Hou.

I am the furthest thing from a coffee snob possible. Even scoff at those who try to be. Hate Starbucks and most of the trendy coffee outlets.

That being said, Dutch Bros actually has fantastic drinks that are priced right. Even my super biased ass can't hate on them for their product. I do hate their vibe though. Wayyyy too chatty for my tastes. Can't they tell I'm a bitter man who would rather stare at my wheel in silence than tell a stranger all about my plans that day?

bobinator
AG
Oh my god I know they're way too nice and energetic. It's 7:30 AM and I want some coffee, I'm not trying to be best friends.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.