Looking for a roofer to quote a metal roof

2,970 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by MoreCushing4thePushing
Rydyn
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I own an older home in the Northgate area that needs a new roof.

I'm looking for recommendation for a trustworthy roofer to discuss the costs and Pros/Cons of a metal roof vs. asphalt. It is a very simple L-shaped roofline on a ranch style home and a perfect candidate for metal, I think...
No one is going to give you the education [power / freedom] that you need to overthrow them.
Three Twenties and A Ten
AG
Schulte Roofing out of Navasota. May not be the least expensive, but highest quality I've found in roof work.
BrazosWifi
We had Lonestar Roofing do our house and they did a great job a couple of years ago.

https://lonestarroofsystemsllc.com/
Sponsor Message: http://BrazosWiFi.com | Fast and reliable internet for the Brazos Valley | info@BrazosWiFi.com | 979-999-7000
BANA89
AG
Go to an Aggie baseball game and wait for a strike out and I bet you get an idea of one you might call
BANA Class of '86/'89 - Living in Aggieland!
Donny Hall
give jeff at shulte a hollar
EBrazosAg
AG
Schulte did my metal exposed faster roof 18 yr ago. No issues. Looks great still.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
coopers hawk
Seconding Jeff at Schulte.

We had a problem during snowmageddon, and a year old roof, and he went above and beyond one making sure we were okay, even though it wasn't a problem with the roof, ultimately.

Was also very easy to work with from quote to build.
SFLORIDAAG
AG
Rudder construction
Post removed:
by user
EBrazosAg
AG
JokkerZ said:

I would consider about getting an asphalt type of a roof, cause in my opinion - it's more reliable.

Hmmmm. As I look at my nearly 20 yo metal roof with no issues post hail storm .....
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
555-PINF
Schulte
momlaw
AG
Jay Rudder might be the most honest person I've ever encountered.
I am old. Full spectrum of honest to not so much.
I've had business encounters with him for 15 years.
momlaw
war hymn aggie
AG
how much more expensive are metal roofs than the the cost of getting asphalt shingles?
BANA89
AG
war hymn aggie said:

how much more expensive are metal roofs than the the cost of getting asphalt shingles?

Bump because I'd like to hear the answer myself
BANA Class of '86/'89 - Living in Aggieland!
Jason_InfinityRoofer
war hymn aggie said:

3 times. Maybe more, maybe less, depending on who is doing it and what they are offering.

I just replaced the original standing seam metal roof on the old part of my house and it was over 60 years old. It was only replaced because the original lightning rod system had wallowed holes in it that I couldn't really seal properly. It was installed directly over the wood shakes. The new 24g double lock on it now is heavier, better technology, and will very likely be the last roof that me or my children ever install on it.

The hail in college station over the past two years would have nearly no impact on a 24ga standing seam. The stuff in Austin and Leander is a different story but even that damage was largely cosmetic which leads to another point that metal will dent with big enough hail and your carrier may not replace it because of that so be accepting of that possibility.

You are really just paying for all your roofing up front at one time with standing seam or other metals.

Small shops will be cheaper. Companies like Schulte will be more expensive. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. A small company will likely be far more cost effective, but a company like Schulte will likely be around in 9 years if an issue crops up. Only you can decide which way to go and what's important to you.
Post removed:
by user
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
I replaced my roof at the end of February. I got quotes for shingles and standing seam. In all quotes standing seam was AT LEAST twice as much. More if you do some sort of special color on the metal.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.