No More Day-Use at Somerville CORPS parks (Rocky and Yegua)

1,643 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BMo
jello123
How long do you want to ignore this user?
To those planning day-use visits this summer at Somerville Lake CORPS parks, Rocky Creek and Yegua Creek. (DOES NOT AFFECT STATE PARKS, OVERLOOK OR WELCH).
"The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers has announced changes beginning Monday at Rocky Creek Park and Yegua Creek Park at Lake Somerville.
Corps officials say the move will allow those sites for camping but NOT day use, serving campers only as the campgrounds were originally designed.
Access to the campgrounds for shoreline fishing, sightseeing, walking and biking and access to nature trails and playgrounds WILL NO LONGER BE PERMITTED. However, day use boat ramp launching will be allowed until Oct. 1st." https://kwhi.com/changes-taking-place-at-lake-somerville-parks/?fbclid=IwAR0acQ6e5HqAC5zT_hbsOvkYW7RTat2fTIimT-lEPipO8FUR9VQSUJ9FFfg
jello123
IMO: This is not fair. Tax payers that cannot afford a camping trailer (or tents plus all supplies) are now being blocked from federal property for bank fishing, swimming, boat ramp usage.
BCSWguru
the corps of engineers seems to screw up everything they touch when it comes to lakes.
FlyRod
Incredible. Used to go fishing there a lot.
BMo
I don't agree with it and I do have a camper. The pavilion there was for larger gatherings than a bunch of campers IMO. I think it is the excuse they are using for now. They have only a small portion of the camping areas back open from all the flooding and I'm sure they are operating at minimal staff. None of the tent camping areas are open yet and aren't anywhere near ready. I spoke with a person while camping in January and he told me they have currently shut down getting the sites back due to no money. Employees are only doing busy work like assembling new picnic tables that are on-site and tasks of that nature.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.