Blizzard of 21 and how really cold it got... (My pets)

2,343 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by studioone
studioone
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Just a short video of my dead pets from the cold..... (nothing gross.., just dead bees)

studioone

so there was food in the hives but it got so cold that they used up what was around them and were unable to move to other parts of the hive to find food...

bees ball up when its cold and vibrate, to produce heat.. normally its about 95 degrees in there in the texas winter...

spicyitalian
AG
That's really sad.
studioone

It's life... Beekeepers up north get this alll the time..

but the reason I started this thread was cause I was curious and hoping member would post about THEIR animals/pets etc and how they did in the storm...

was curious if someone had lot of chickens, or cows or whatever ... how they fared...

I'm REALLY hoping all our wild hogs became frozen bacon... but...
AggieBarstool
I don't know about you, but I sure don't have any interest in hearing about folks' dead pets during the snow storm.
dubi
AG
Did you lose all your bees?
Tx Ag72
Dog, 2 cats, and 25 plus chickens survived and stayed out the entire time except for one old cat that stayed in the laundry room for two nights. She wanted out each morning.
dubi
AG
AggieBarstool said:

I don't know about you, but I sure don't have any interest in hearing about folks' dead pets during the snow storm.
It is nice to see appropriate apostrophe usage.
techno-ag
AG
I heard a few calls on Broadcastify in SoCo with neighbors dialing 911 because somebody's dog was outside. I understand the concern but they do need to answer the call of nature sometimes.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
Our chickens made it through just fine. The breed is supposed to tolerate the mid-teens just fine. They didn't stay in the coop any longer than during a normal day. We put out corn feed as it is supposed to keep them warmer as they digest it. Egg production didn't change at all, which was a nice surprise.
momlaw
AG
We put out bee sugar syrup for those that might have survived since their usual food sources are gone.
momlaw
Smeghead4761
techno-ag said:

I heard a few calls on Broadcastify in SoCo with neighbors dialing 911 because somebody's dog was outside. I understand the concern but they do need to answer the call of nature sometimes.
I went outside every day and found new sets of tracks from the unpenned dogs in my neighborhood doing their patrols.

Of of them is a Husky, and was probably thinking "About time we got some good weather!"
studioone
momlaw said:

We put out bee sugar syrup for those that might have survived since their usual food sources are gone.

Are you a beekeeper?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.