Italian Cream Cake in Aggieland?

2,046 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by jrhmc
momlaw
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Who in town bakes and sells Italian Cream Cakes?
Thank you
momlaw
histag10
AG
I can (Smashed Cakes), but the state wont let me use cream cheese (cottage bakery laws). I can do cream cheese flavored buttercream though.

You might try Cake Junkie. They operate out of a commercial kitchen.

The buggest thing to remember is that whoever you use, they cant use cream cheese unless they operate out of a commercial kitchen.
momlaw
AG
Thanks.
Will pass along to friend in need.
momlaw
Abbyag06
My sister in law had one from Cake Junkie for her wedding and it was amazing.
BusAg
AG
Think HEB does too
meezermom
This post just made me miss Sweet Temptations on University by where Cenare was - every year for my birthday my mom got me an Italian cream cake from there.
BlueMiles
AG
And made me miss Brazos Blue Ribbon Bakery.
theNetSmith
AG
histag10 said:

I can (Smashed Cakes), but the state wont let me use cream cheese (cottage bakery laws). I can do cream cheese flavored buttercream though.

You might try Cake Junkie. They operate out of a commercial kitchen.

The buggest thing to remember is that whoever you use, they cant use cream cheese unless they operate out of a commercial kitchen.
Really very nice of you to recommend a competitor.

That's some Good Bull right there.
histag10
AG
Thanks! I know people want real cream cheese, and I know I cant legally provide it.

I also dont work with fondant (i personally hate the taste and think it ruins a cake), but if anyone wants it, I will always recommend a competitor that I know makes fantastic cakes and uses fondant.

Small business owners helping each other is the way to go.
scd88
AG
Can you explain the cream cheese issue?

Do you need someone to smuggle enough across the border for icing? If so, I can help....just need a mid-1970's Trans Am (mint condition) and an 18 wheeler....
halibut sinclair
scd88 said:

Can you explain the cream cheese issue?

Basically, if you make food to sell out of your home kitchen, you can't use any ingredients that require time or temperature control to prevent spoilage.

https://texascottagefoodlaw.com/
scd88
AG
Ah, I see. Thank you.
histag10
AG
Halibut is correct. Basically, unless you operate out of a commercial kitchen, you food must be mostly shelf stable. It cant require refrigeration or heat to keep. This is why it is technically illegal to sell tamales unless you make them in a commercial kitchen. As for bakers, it limits our ability to use cream cheese in frosting, cut fruits (though whole fruit is okay), tres leches, etc.

The reasoning behind it is that a commercial kitchen is routinely inspected by the health department to monitor equipment and practices, while a home bakery is not.

The health department has actually been cracking down on enforcement of this lately, and it can come with quite a hefty fine if you are found to be violating texas cottage food laws. My guess is they started cracking down when people started trying to sell casseroles and hot meals out of their homes and list them on facebook.
scd88
AG
Got it. Thanks. So if I want to do a food truck, I would still need a commercial kitchen to call home.
chiwowwow
It is correct that cottage bakers are not to use such items. It is evident that so many of them offer all types of items that do not follow those guidelines. Buying food out of the back of peoples cars or houses of people you don't know is hard for me to grasp for those reasons.
The BCHD does not monitor the "cottage baker" it is the state of Texas unless they have reason to believe that reported illnesses are from a home based business from what I was told.
It is TABC that monitors those selling "alcohol infused" items.
histag10
AG
scd88 said:

Got it. Thanks. So if I want to do a food truck, I would still need a commercial kitchen to call home.

Typically food trucks ARE commercial kitchens, and are subject to inspections.
histag10
AG
chiwowwow said:

It is correct that cottage bakers are not to use such items. It is evident that so many of them offer all types of items that do not follow those guidelines. Buying food out of the back of peoples cars or houses of people you don't know is hard for me to grasp for those reasons.
The BCHD does not monitor the "cottage baker" it is the state of Texas unless they have reason to believe that reported illnesses are from a home based business from what I was told.
It is TABC that monitors those selling "alcohol infused" items.

I sell a lot of alcohol infused items (though the alcohol is baked out of it for the most part). Let me tell ya, margarita cupcakes are a big hit with my customers.

The ones likely being monitored right now (my understanding) are the ones trying to sell a bottle of wine with choc strawberries or alcohol filled hot cocoa bombs, because those ate still in drinkable form.
trouble
AG
Yuuuuuuup. You can use alcohol as an ingredient like in chocolate bourbon pecan pie but you can't seal a shot inside chocolate and call it an ingredient.

histag10
AG
If you ever need tasty desserts, and want to give a cottage baker a shot, ill let you see my kitchen if that's what you need
jrhmc
AG
Sweet Eugene's has it all the time. It's very good!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.