Turning Spigots back on after Freeze

2,675 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by legalbird
Goose83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Like many others, I used the Styrofoam faucet covers, and (I'm assuming) like everyone else who did, that the spigots froze. In our case, I left them go to thaw out naturally with the weather.

My question is, would we have already seen if there was any damage done to the plumbing inside the walls once they thawed out, or do we have to turn on the spigots first and get water running through them to see if those pipes sustained any damage?
Mathguy64
AG
If the pipe broke you would have water running now. It's been plenty warm enough to thaw any frozen pipe. In most cases if you have a break it would be obvious with the water showing up. Easiest way to tell would be to go to the meter and see if it's spinning. If it does you have a leak.
letterman72
AG
I'm not a plumber but I would think there could be a possibility of a pipe being bursted and just emitting a fine spray so you wouldn't see water gushing out of an area. I walked around the perimeter of my home and checked for any water seeping out of the weep holes in the bottom of my bricks and checked inside of the house around the walls. I did uncover my faucets outside and let them run for a minute or so to see if they were functioning properly. I would think if you had a major leak you would know by now. Also, the above suggestion to check your meter is a good idea. Just make sure no toilets etc. are being used when you look at your meter.
AggiePhil
AG
We used the plastic/styrofoam covers and had no problems.
Goose83
AG
Mathguy64 said:

If the pipe broke you would have water running now. It's been plenty warm enough to thaw any frozen pipe. In most cases if you have a break it would be obvious with the water showing up. Easiest way to tell would be to go to the meter and see if it's spinning. If it does you have a leak.
That's what I was thinking as the pipes are under pressure, running or not, but thought I'd ask anyway.
legalbird
When a pipe bursts, you know it.
halibut sinclair
I have these on our outside faucets and had no problems. The ones I have are over 10 years old. Hard plastic with styrofoam inside.

https://protechonline.net/freeze%20cap%20faucet%20insulator,%20hook%20mount
Post removed:
by user
BQ_90
AG
Slocum on a mobile said:

I had one outside faucet that "burst" where the faucet joined to the copper in the wall. The soldered joint fell apart when I took the styrofoam cover off. Thankful that did not happen inside.
https://www.amazon.com/10-Pack-PROCURU-2-Inch-PushFit-End/dp/B073NXBC1W/ref=sr_1_8?crid=3TF1APYCV7MR8&dchild=1&keywords=shark+bites+plumbing+fittings&qid=1614351132&sprefix=shark+bit%2Caps%2C449&sr=8-8

get you some of these for quick repair
doubledog
You may see damage to the rubber seals in the facet. Once you turn them on and the turn them off you may see a leak (if there is damage). In that case just shut off the water and replace the seals.

FYI Another way to see if there is a leak is to shut off all water flows, go to a very quiet restroom and listen. Copper tubes will hum when water is flowing. Do not know about other pipes.

Post removed:
by user
legalbird
Push to connect kind of controversial

If you do use, use the Sharkbite brand
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.