Any "caliber collision" experiences?

5,669 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by dubi
Brennan22
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I got in a small fender bender the other day and my insurance is recommending caliber collision in college station. Any thoughts or preferences to a different shop?
TAMC11
AG
I took my truck to the south college station location when I got rear ended. I thought they did a good job. Not really sure if the final coat was reasonable or not as it was covered by the other girl's insurance.
backinbcs
They did fine by me on a repair job last year.
aggiepaintrain
AG
I'd recommend somewhere else

like anyone else
FJB
Horn_in_Aggieland
I used them once after being rear ended. I can't complain about the experience.
Bullpen Chias
AG
I would reco Jack Winslow, but have used Caliber before. Took longer than expected at Caliber (eventually had to take it to Houston), but they did do a nice job of communication. The work seemed fine.
chickencoupe16
AG
No idea about caliber, but Classic Collision is great. Keep in mind, you have the legal right to use whatever shop you want.
histag10
AG
Ive used them twice. Pleased with both experiences. Though they currently have my car and have had it since around January 13th. (Unknown transmission failure determined 2 days before work was supposed to be completed from an accident. Then their supplier sent a bad transmission, and now the weather has delayed again)
TexAg1987
I used them twice for estimates on two different cars with the expectation that they were totaled, because they were recommended by my insurance company. Figured it would go smoothly.
It did and both cars were totaled as expected, so no repairs were done.
They were very easy to work with and seemed timely and worked well with my insurance company.

My $.02
Brennan22
Thanks everyone! I just want to make sure I'm not getting sent to somewhere horrible, some of the Yelp reviews were making me nervous.
dubi
AG
Brennan01 said:

Thanks everyone! I just want to make sure I'm not getting sent to somewhere horrible, some of the Yelp reviews were making me nervous.

Talk to Doug at Classic Collision. Caliber has bad reviews for a reason.
Hyacinth
I'll give a third recommendation for Doug at Classic Collision. He's worked on our cars a couple of times and I can't say enough good things about him and his shop.
AgResearch
AG
Brennan01 said:

Your insurance is "sending you" to the place that has negotiated the lowest rates for them in some fashion. That's why you should go somewhere else and exercise your right to do so. You own the car, not the insurance company.
dubi
AG
AgResearch said:

Brennan01 said:

Your insurance is "sending you" to the place that has negotiated the lowest rates for them in some fashion. That's why you should go somewhere else and exercise your right to do so. You own the car, not the insurance company.

+1
Rexter
I took the wife's vehicle to Caliber after she got a parking lot bump and run. They wouldn't speak to me without me giving them insurance info.....even after I explained that it was cash payment.

I will never go there again, nor will I ever recommend the to anyone.
Brennan22
Thanks texags, y'all did it again. I'll call Classic collision tomorrow.
deh40
AG
AgResearch said:

Brennan01 said:

This is right and wrong. It has nothing to do with lowest rates, but you do have the right to choose any shop you want.
wasntme
I would never, never, never recommend anyone go to Caliber Collision. I had a horrible experience at the Bryan location two years ago. Their customer service was an "F-", and that's being generous. I left there and went to the Nissan Dealership, they recommended Oscar & Son's. I went there and the work, and service were top notch. I would def go there again, and highly recommend Oscar & Son's.
My insurance recommended that I go to Caliber also, however, in Texas you can go anywhere you choose.
momlaw
AG
What I've learned the difficult way is it depends upon insurance coverage.
Some are great. Some are crap.

All tend to be crap when you are not the customer, the carrier's customer is at fault.
Bad to be not at fault and get garbage coverage from carrier who isn't smart enough to think you might becoem a customer.

Some shops have become wise enough to not even take the crap insurance because they know the insurance company will send garbage aftermarket parts that do not fit, etc. The job will take longer than you have rental coverage. No one is happy and they take the rap.

I know Silas Garrett owner of George's. Pretty sure that is who I would consult next time.
momlaw
classicdoug
AG
Brennan01 said:

Thanks texags, y'all did it again. I'll call Classic collision tomorrow.

Thanks for the recommendations everyone! I will be at the shop for a bit this morning, but if you don't get me by phone, please email me at classicdoug@verizon.net. We can get your car repaired the right way. The difference is that lots of other shops work to please the insurance company. We work for you. Unfortunately the company mentioned only cares about their insurance relationships. We fix a lot of cars that were "repaired" there.

Thanks,
Doug
angus55
I used them for a repair from dunnage falling off a truck and hitting my car. . They did a good job no complaints. Would use again. The Bryan location is who I used.
We'll win this war, but we'll win it only by fighting and by showing the Germans that we've got more guts than they have, or ever will have. We're not going to just shoot the sons-of-b******, were going to rip out their living G*******d guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks. We're going to murder those lousy Hun c********** by the bushel-f****** basket. War is a bloody killing business. You've got to spill their blood or they will spill yours. Rip them up the belly. Shot them in the guts.
BaitShack
AG
Good experience in 2013.
scd88
AG
Caliber behind Discount Tire? ****ing worthless.
Post removed:
by user
JP76
I know people who had bad experiences at the CS location especially after the 2018 hail event.

I've had the Bryan location repair a close to $5,000 tbone in a 7 month suv and it came out great and I am very PICKY as I used to work in the industry and know all of the bs that goes on behind the scenes. Only reason I used Bryan location is because my friend is a bodyman there who taught me a lot when when we were coworkers back in the day is still a bodyman for them with over 25 years of experience. Whatever you do, DO NOT let them put aftermarket parts on your vehicle. State Farm got sued for this and you do not have to agree to use cheap Chinese inferior junk on your vehicle. I don't know Doug at Classic but have heard great things about him but in general a smaller body shop will usually be a better choice for quality depending on the repair because the owner is usually more involved and doesn't answer to corporate.

Winslow is good but usually pretty far out. That tells you a lot about a business regardless of the industry it is in

Also Lapp's paint and body does great work in Bryan

Who is the insurance company who is paying for the repairs ?
jphil1
AG
AG'73
Thisguy1
Had the Bryan location do some work on a truck of mine. Mostly driver side door damage. They replaced the door with a door that a different trim than my other side (one side had a glossy trim while the one he used was a matte finish). When I pointed it out, he said "oh yeah it sure is different" and that was it. Didn't offer to fix it, nothing. Had to bring the truck back to them within a few days because the lock was messing up. I still have issues with the door.

The paint was really well done, but that's about it.
Brennan22
Liberty mutual
trouble
AG
Brennan01 said:

Liberty mutual

Ugh. I had a really crappy experience with them after a wreck.

I finally had my claim elevated to a someone who was supposedly one of their customer service directors or some such crap. Told them when it was all finally over that I would be leaving them because if this was how the treated me as their customer, I would be horrified if someone I hit had to deal with them
Post removed:
by user
dallasiteinsa02
We used the one in Bryan for a wreck that occurred the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. Got the car back in February. Two sections of the exterior kept separating and they said it wasn't their fault even though we had had the car back for less than 24 hours when it occurred. That summer the car just shut down after driving about one mile. Had it towed to the Ford dealership. They had completed all the repairs but used really crappy parts, though they billed for oem parts, and several of the parts that they claimed to replace were not. It caused about $3500 worth of damage to the engine. Luckily insurance stepped in and took care of it all.

Six months later while replacing the windshield, we found out that they didn't replace a section of plastic that keeps the noise down in the car. It was just completely missing. There was no way of knowing that the part was missing unless you removed the windshield. Caliber wouldn't do anything about it.

I WOULDN"T GO TO CALIBER COLLISON IN BRYAN FOR ANYTHING.
Donny Hall
doug quoted me 15k to paint my car last year. I would rather people just say "i dont want to do it" instead of giving me the i dont want to do it price lol
chickencoupe16
AG
Donny Hall said:

doug quoted me 15k to paint my car last year. I would rather people just say "i dont want to do it" instead of giving me the i dont want to do it price lol

If my experience with Classic Collision holds true, then it would have been done correctly and quickly. Most of the time you get to choose 2 of the following 3, but not all 3: quick, cheap, correct. Most people don't care about the cost when insurance is footing the bill anyway.

Maybe that was how much it cost to do it right and you got a cut rate quote from other shops. Maybe there was a rash of fender benders and the demand was high causing the price to be high. Ultimately, he did want to do it, just at 15K.

In any case, it seems a little distasteful for staff member with a tagged staff account to post this about a long time, well respected, paying customer.
dubi
AG
Donny Hall said:

To follow autoboard rules, we need year/make/model/mileage of your vehicle. Photos would be good too.

It isn't just paint, but lots of prep and taping off all the trim and windows. AND fixing any existing body damage that you have.

Was it a restoration project? Old POS? Newer car with hail damage. Why did it need to be painted?
Donny Hall
chickencoupe16 said:

Donny Hall said:

If my experience with Classic Collision holds true, then it would have been done correctly and quickly. Most of the time you get to choose 2 of the following 3, but not all 3: quick, cheap, correct. Most people don't care about the cost when insurance is footing the bill anyway.

Maybe that was how much it cost to do it right and you got a cut rate quote from other shops. Maybe there was a rash of fender benders and the demand was high causing the price to be high. Ultimately, he did want to do it, just at 15K.

In any case, it seems a little distasteful for staff member with a tagged staff account to post this about a long time, well respected, paying customer.
Ive spent $6800 with doug on various other things, and will continue to do so when reasonable, Im just being honest.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.