Any "caliber collision" experiences?

5,978 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by dubi
AggieBarstool
How long do you want to ignore this user?
deh40 said:

AgResearch said:

Brennan01 said:

Thanks everyone! I just want to make sure I'm not getting sent to somewhere horrible, some of the Yelp reviews were making me nervous.
Your insurance is "sending you" to the place that has negotiated the lowest rates for them in some fashion. That's why you should go somewhere else and exercise your right to do so. You own the car, not the insurance company.
This is right and wrong. It has nothing to do with lowest rates, but you do have the right to choose any shop you want.

Then why, exactly, would an insurance agency send a customer to their preferred body shop?

It's about the money. Always follow the money.

I would use Jack Winslow's shop for repairs, but it may take a while to get in.
Donny Hall
dubi said:

Donny Hall said:

doug quoted me 15k to paint my car last year. I would rather people just say "i dont want to do it" instead of giving me the i dont want to do it price lol
To follow autoboard rules, we need year/make/model/mileage of your vehicle. Photos would be good too.

It isn't just paint, but lots of prep and taping off all the trim and windows. AND fixing any existing body damage that you have.

Was it a restoration project? Old POS? Newer car with hail damage. Why did it need to be painted?

70 sedan deville 56k miles

this is a before photo. quoted 15k that didn't include any metal work on the roof posts, or the vinyl top, three small dents but otherwise complete and a good straight body. no accidents. garage kept. all original.

I asked for same color paint, that I wasn't interested in a full restoration, the color was dead and I just wanted to freshen it up. told me "we would start around 15k and that's on the low end"

I think the main part is that he wanted to do the same process he does to all classics and the size and scale of this car were not something he wanted to deal with... or was afraid to go to low and lose money. I'm not talking trash, just giving an honest opinion that about a person I have given plenty of business to
Dalton Hughes
Staff
AG
I'll paint it for 100k
scd88
AG
Just have to say that's a bad ass cruiser. Have fun with it and good luck getting it into a modern day garage.
deh40
AG
AggieBarstool said:

deh40 said:

AgResearch said:

Brennan01 said:

Thanks everyone! I just want to make sure I'm not getting sent to somewhere horrible, some of the Yelp reviews were making me nervous.
Your insurance is "sending you" to the place that has negotiated the lowest rates for them in some fashion. That's why you should go somewhere else and exercise your right to do so. You own the car, not the insurance company.
This is right and wrong. It has nothing to do with lowest rates, but you do have the right to choose any shop you want.

Then why, exactly, would an insurance agency send a customer to their preferred body shop?

It's about the money. Always follow the money.

I would use Jack Winslow's shop for repairs, but it may take a while to get in.
It is about money, but not because the shop fixes it cheaper. It's because they don't have to send anyone to the shop to do an estimate, which saves them money. All the other shops in town would repair the vehicle for the same rates being paid by the insurance companies to the preferred shops.
AgResearch
AG
Brennan22
So far so good, luckily I didn't hit anyone.. just a wall
trouble
AG
I hit a wall trying to avoid another car that was weaving in and out of traffic.
chickencoupe16
AG
Donny Hall said:

chickencoupe16 said:

Donny Hall said:

doug quoted me 15k to paint my car last year. I would rather people just say "i dont want to do it" instead of giving me the i dont want to do it price lol

If my experience with Classic Collision holds true, then it would have been done correctly and quickly. Most of the time you get to choose 2 of the following 3, but not all 3: quick, cheap, correct. Most people don't care about the cost when insurance is footing the bill anyway.

Maybe that was how much it cost to do it right and you got a cut rate quote from other shops. Maybe there was a rash of fender benders and the demand was high causing the price to be high. Ultimately, he did want to do it, just at 15K.

In any case, it seems a little distasteful for staff member with a tagged staff account to post this about a long time, well respected, paying customer.
Ive spent $6800 with doug on various other things, and will continue to do so when reasonable, Im just being honest.

I obviously can't speak to details but I still think it comes off as distasteful.
trouble
AG
I agree.
JP76
Donny Hall said:

dubi said:

Donny Hall said:

To follow autoboard rules, we need year/make/model/mileage of your vehicle. Photos would be good too.

It isn't just paint, but lots of prep and taping off all the trim and windows. AND fixing any existing body damage that you have.

Was it a restoration project? Old POS? Newer car with hail damage. Why did it need to be painted?

70 sedan deville 56k miles

this is a before photo. quoted 15k that didn't include any metal work on the roof posts, or the vinyl top, three small dents but otherwise complete and a good straight body. no accidents. garage kept. all original.

I asked for same color paint, that I wasn't interested in a full restoration, the color was dead and I just wanted to freshen it up. told me "we would start around 15k and that's on the low end"

I think the main part is that he wanted to do the same process he does to all classics and the size and scale of this car were not something he wanted to deal with... or was afraid to go to low and lose money. I'm not talking trash, just giving an honest opinion that about a person I have given plenty of business to

So what did you end up spending to paint it and what shop did the work ?
Brennan22
Time to bring this thread full circle.

I took my truck to Classic Collision, they did a great job in a timely manner and kept me in the loop with what was going on the whole time. I would absolutely recommend them, and thank you Texags for sending me there! As a student, it can be hard to find the local places that have a good reputation, but this has been a great place for me to get the opinion of good hearted Aggies. I trust y'all more than I should, but so far it has worked out. Thanks y'all!
60% of the time, it works every time
dubi
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.