Are we really "competing cities" in BCS?

13,384 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by EliteElectric
davido
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Masked by all of the weather related news, Dennis Maloney was on WTAW, upset about Bryan's branding with the use of Texas A&M.

Reference. 2 minute mark.
https://open.spotify.com/episode/2c2DvclD3JBmVnSjEogt6q?si=-klBfXw8TB2lqIrW-p_Z6w

What are they competing on?
TalkNerdy2Me
AG
Maloney's gobbledegook smacks of him trying to create a distraction from the local government's supreme impotency that's been on full display for over a month at this point.

Sounds like he hopes all the serfs forget about the baffling incompetence associated with local govt's vaccine "planning" and "distribution" as well as whatever hand the local govt played in disrupting power and water access.

Good luck with that, Dennis. Doubtful that the public has room in their brains to be upset about anything else, especially something this trivial.
doubledog
Technically Texas A & M college was here before College Station. Therefore CS cannot be the "home" of Texas A&M.

Having said that Bryan had their chance in 1938, rumor is the mayor of Bryan and the city council wanted huge bribes for annexation of the fledgling community around TAMC. The residence decided to incorporate and the rest is history.

studioone
Yes, since day 1.
Eliminatus
AG
It's small town elitism. You see it everywhere unfortunately.
BCSWguru
I distinctly Remember CS council members stating they annexed wellborn because they didn't want a competing city setting up right next door. Fun times.
techno-ag
AG
The RELLIS campus is in Bryan. Bryan was here before CS. I don't see the problem.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
doubledog
techno-ag said:

The RELLIS campus is in Bryan. Bryan was here before CS. I don't see the problem.
The RELLIS campus is not within the Bryan City limits, but I get your point.
Ag210
AG
Pretty sure it is....
Stupe
S
doubledog said:

Technically Texas A & M college was here before College Station. Therefore CS cannot be the "home" of Texas A&M.

Having said that Bryan had their chance in 1938, rumor is the mayor of Bryan and the city council wanted huge bribes for annexation of the fledgling community around TAMC. The residence decided to incorporate and the rest is history.

My house was there before me and it's now my home.
Bryanisbest
AG
There are now thousands of acres of A&M in Bryan. To say A&M College Station would no longer be true.

If it weren't for Bryan there would be no CS or A&M. A group of Bryan business men and Bryan landowner/farmers pooled their money to buy acreage and donate it to the state for the original location of Texas A&M. Tex A&M would not be here but for these Bryan men.

I have seen old maps of A&M with labels that actually say "Texas A&M College, Bryan." So, this is not the first time Bryan has been part of the name brand of the University.
AggieBaseball06
AG
Quote:

Technically Texas A & M college was here before College Station. Therefore CS cannot be the "home" of Texas A&M

Kind of a weird take in my opinion. It's a common saying to refer to something as the home of the _____ (insert natural formation or animal or plant) even though _____ blank existed before the town. We better start a petition to remove "home of the brave" from the national anthem, unless you think brave people didn't exist until after the US was a country.

My understanding of A&M history is that A&M was founded near Bryan but not in Bryan so Bryan isn't the home of it either. But regardless, I don't care if A&M is marketed as being in B/CS. What an absolutely trivial thing for a city councilman to complain about.

What does annoy me (and I recognize that is is semantics) is when, for example, they are calling a football game and say that Kyle Field is in Bryan/College Station. Nope. It's in College Station. The Minneapolis Twins don't have a stadium in Minneapolis/St. Paul, the Dallas Mavericks don't have an arena in Dallas/Fort Worth, and First Friday doesn't occur in downtown Bryan/College Station.
doubledog
Ag210 said:

Pretty sure it is....
Google map disagrees

doubledog
Stupe said:

doubledog said:

My house was there before me and it's now my home.
I get your point,
techno-ag
AG
Last time i drove in that way they moved the city limits sign out to OSR.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
Ag210
AG
doubledog said:

Ag210 said:

Pretty sure it is....
Google map disagrees

Google maps is wrong, Bryan annexed RELLIS a few years ago
https://maps.bryantx.gov/streets_properties/
Bryanisbest
AG
Joey Dunn, asst city mgr Bryan quoted in a publication on Aug 28, 2019,"It is so nice to have the Rellis Campus and the surrounding land in the City of Bryan. It was annexed by the City on May 15, 2019." Published Aug 28, 2019 by Clay Falls KBTX website
Carny89
Who cares? Taxes higher than a giraffes ass anyways.
davido
AG
techno-ag said:

Heath Science Center also, for that matter.
Drilltime
They've always competed and always will, but given Bryan's strategic initiatives you can expect it to get worse. I can only imagine people who argue CS shouldn't compete live in Bryan. Those of us who pay taxes in CS want every tax paying knowledge industry possible to choose CS. Our biggest employer pays zero taxes and when you have rapid growth in housing infrastructure and no growth in taxes from their employer, you run up debt. CS needs to compete for entrpreneurs and knowlegdege industries and it needs to win. For us CS tax payers with $ 300M in debt related to new infrastructre due to growth, the competition for the knowledge industry is serious business.

Maloney always speaks his mind and thank goodness somebody is standing up for College Station. While Bryan has been creating market identity, cutting deals with A&M, and getting a disprapotionate advantage from shared ventures, our former council leadership sat around for years like frogs in a heating pot doing nothing. I think you'll see more specific inititves to compete this year, and it's about time.
TexasAggie_02
AG
Bryanisbest said:

There are now thousands of acres of A&M in Bryan. To say A&M College Station would no longer be true.

If it weren't for Bryan there would be no CS or A&M. A group of Bryan business men and Bryan landowner/farmers pooled their money to buy acreage and donate it to the state for the original location of Texas A&M. Tex A&M would not be here but for these Bryan men.

I have seen old maps of A&M with labels that actually say "Texas A&M College, Bryan." So, this is not the first time Bryan has been part of the name brand of the University.

TAMU is also in every single county via the extension service.
isitjustme
AG
Bryan and CS work together on many things but compete on others, often on things that affect tax base. For a long time, CS had no problem gobbling up most of the new businesses and subdivisions which greatly benefited their tax revenues. That gobbling has been less so the last 25-30 years, but they could always claim they were the sole home of TAMU, which helped them recruit. That is no longer officially the case and improves Bryan's position even more.
bcschamp365
How about we merge the 2 cities, eliminate massive redundancies, and lower taxes for everyone?
jello123
RELLIS is indeed in Bryan city limits. https://ibb.co/dQ1XPCM
histag10
AG
TexasAggie_02 said:

Bryanisbest said:

Technically that is the system, not Texas A&M University.

And if we want to get technical, GV campus is part of ma ih n campus, as is Qatar, HSC, Nursing school, dental school, pharmacy school, and law school.
bcstx06
histag10 said:

TexasAggie_02 said:

Bryanisbest said:

Technically that is the system, not Texas A&M University.

And if we want to get technical, GV campus is part of ma ih n campus, as is Qatar, HSC, Nursing school, dental school, pharmacy school, and law school.

The Health Science Center, which is in Bryan used to be a separate TAMU System school but now it is apart of the main campus.

Now I'm replying to the post above suggesting that the two cities merge. In someways they do act as one city. Have you ever been to the Atlas/Biocorrior? That area is like a merger of both cities. The taxes brought in from that area are split between both cities regardless of which city the business is located in.
histag10
AG
Oops! Meant med school with the Temple facilities
Bryanisbest
AG
bcschamp365 said:

How about we merge the 2 cities, eliminate massive redundancies, and lower taxes for everyone?

Merging makes sense but will never happen due to the principle of white flight which made the City of CS and will continue to set it apart from Bryan for a while longer. Bryan was by far the dominant city until integration began in about 1970. Bryan would probably agree to unification but CS will not do it. For decades realtors have advised newcomers, "You probably would rather live in College Station because of the schools." This will not continue forever as the percentage of minority population of CS is growing. The other factor is that raw land available for future development in and around CS is running out. Bryan has plenty of room for future growth. The population of the two cities will probably equal out about 25 years from now.
BCSWguru
Bryanisbest said:

bcschamp365 said:

Merging makes sense but will never happen due to the principle of white flight which made the City of CS and will continue to set it apart from Bryan for a while longer. Bryan was by far the dominant city until integration began in about 1970. Bryan would probably agree to unification but CS will not do it. For decades realtors have advised newcomers, "You probably would rather live in College Station because of the schools." This will not continue forever as the percentage of minority population of CS is growing. The other factor is that raw land available for future development in CS is running out. Bryan has plenty of room for future growth. The population of the two cities will probably equal out about 25 years from now.

Bryan would not agree to unification.
Bryanisbest
AG
LSCSN said:

Bryanisbest said:

bcschamp365 said:

Merging makes sense but will never happen due to the principle of white flight which made the City of CS and will continue to set it apart from Bryan for a while longer. Bryan was by far the dominant city until integration began in about 1970. Bryan would probably agree to unification but CS will not do it. For decades realtors have advised newcomers, "You probably would rather live in College Station because of the schools." This will not continue forever as the percentage of minority population of CS is growing. The other factor is that raw land available for future development in CS is running out. Bryan has plenty of room for future growth. The population of the two cities will probably equal out about 25 years from now.

Bryan would not agree to unification.

Why not?
Bryanisbest
AG
TexasAggie_02 said:

Bryanisbest said:

I doubt those counties put a city name in the listed name of the particular extension service in that county.
AggiePhil
AG
In 1967, after TAMC was renamed TAMU and the I&GN train station had been demolished, College Station Mayor Andy Anderson proposed a name change for the city. "We are no longer a 'college' community, nor a 'station,'" he said. The Battalion then launched a search for a new name. Among those submitted were University City, A&M, Universe City, Aggieland, Tamuville, Prosperity, University Gardens, Action City, Lyndonville and Rudder, Amuty, and Maan.
isitjustme
AG
bcschamp365 said:

No effing way. It's nice to have choices in the type of city we choose to live in. The cities have different qualities, which is why people choose to live in one or the other.

Otherwise, we could have no cities or counties and just have everything controlled by the governor.

Besides, I don't think combining cities would create any tax savings. Probably increase the level of revenues needed to sustain increasing govt largesse.
AggieBaseball06
AG
AggiePhil said:

In 1967, after TAMC was renamed TAMU and the I&GN train station had been demolished, College Station Mayor Andy Anderson proposed a name change for the city. "We are no longer a 'college' community, nor a 'station,'" he said. The Battalion then launched a search for a new name. Among those submitted were University City, A&M, Universe City, Aggieland, Tamuville, Prosperity, University Gardens, Action City, Lyndonville and Rudder, Amuty, and Maan.

I could be living in Action City right now?!
techno-ag
AG
Bryanisbest said:

The population of the two cities will probably equal out about 25 years from now.
IIRC, Bryan was ahead in population until a change in Census a while back that started to count students. Take away the rentals in CS and Bryan has more residents. Even so, housing permits are up. Bryan may regain the numbers sooner than that. We shall see.

- Joe Biden

- Kamala Harris
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.