Are we really "competing cities" in BCS?

13,545 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by EliteElectric
Bryanisbest
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
techno-ag said:

Bryanisbest said:

The population of the two cities will probably equal out about 25 years from now.
IIRC, Bryan was ahead in population until a change in Census a while back that started to count students. Take away the rentals in CS and Bryan has more residents. Even so, housing permits are up. Bryan may regain the numbers sooner than that. We shall see.

Yes, Hope so, thanks
Bryanisbest
AG
techno-ag said:

Bryanisbest said:

The population of the two cities will probably equal out about 25 years from now.
IIRC, Bryan was ahead in population until a change in Census a while back that started to count students. Take away the rentals in CS and Bryan has more residents. Even so, housing permits are up. Bryan may regain the numbers sooner than that. We shall see.

Techno, would you support unification of the cities? Not trying to trap you. I always respect your posts on Texags.
techno-ag
AG
Bryanisbest said:

techno-ag said:

Bryanisbest said:

Techno, would you support unification of the cities? Not trying to trap you. I always respect your posts on Texags.
Maybe. But the details would be too onerous imo with school administration and equitable school rezoning alone. Then you'd have the multiple layers of departmental administration in fire, police, utilities, etc. Finally you'd have to figure out the combined city council with single member districts, presumably. I don't think it'll ever happen.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
Bryanisbest
AG
techno-ag said:

Bryanisbest said:

techno-ag said:

Bryanisbest said:

Maybe. But the details would be too onerous imo with school administration and equitable school rezoning alone. Then you'd have the multiple layers of departmental administration in fire, police, utilities, etc. Finally you'd have to figure out the combined city council with single member districts, presumably. I don't think it'll ever happen.

I agree.
Picadillo
Thanks to the growth of A&M, Bryan now has campus elements, but is not and was never the home to Texas A&M. Maloney is correct to point this out.
isitjustme
AG
Picadillo said:

Thanks to the growth of A&M, Bryan now has campus elements, but is not and was never the home to Texas A&M. Maloney is correct to point this out.
Maloney is not correct, BoR changed it.
George Costanza
In Texas, school districts are entities completely separate and apart from the cities and counties. Merging the cities would have no more effect on CSISD and BISD than merging the school districts would have on the cities if the hypothetical was reversed.
isitjustme
AG
George Costanza said:

In Texas, school districts are entities completely separate and apart from the cities and counties. Merging the cities would have no more effect on CSISD and BISD than merging the school districts would have on the cities if the hypothetical was reversed.
Correct. But we shouldn't merge cities or school districts. I don't understand the desire for larger government entities which will have more power over more people and become even more bureaucratic. Competition is good for consumers, and the cities competing against each other is good for residents and businesses.
TommyBrady
AG
The only reason Bryan has parts of TAMU is because they rushed to annex all the land they could before College Station had any real power. Now that the ETJ for College Station is larger than Bryan's I'm hoping the annexation ability will be decreased.
EliteElectric
As someone who has lived in, owned property, owned businesses and volunteered in both cities I cannot fathom why people would want anything but symbiotic relationships between the two cities. Blows my mind that people think one city superior to the other. The cities should be in lock step unison on as many items and issues as possible. That is what's best for all of us that live here in my honest opinion.

It would be great if the cities could ever manage to merge but I don't think all of the egos could handle that.

My 2c

Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.