Anyone get a notice about water shut off?

7,900 Views | 85 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Drewmeister
AgTrip
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Please tell me they're not. I can shut my own water off if I need to thank you.
Broncos
Who sent that?
Born&Raised
Can we get your coordinates? Which part of town? CS - Bryan?
AgTrip
Broncos said:

Who sent that?

Friend sent me this text:

From my leasing agent-We just received notice that both the City of Bryan and College Station will start to cut off water. With this being said, please fill your bathtubs with water or any extra bucks you may have laying around. We don't know when and how long they will cut the water off. Please try to conserve as much water as possible in your home.

I was just hoping to confirm if anyone else got this or is it BS.

I also don't want to spread misinformation which is why I'm asking.
threecatcorner
I heard that city of Bryan is telling people to turn off their own water for now due to low water pressure because of a bunch of leaks. Once they get some fixed, they will make another announcement. They say you should be ok with pipes but not freezing during the day because it is above freezing now. There is a press release at https://www.bryantx.gov/
Broncos
I haven't heard any talk about water being cut off. Both cities asked to stop dripping faucets while the cities are above freezing to help with water pressure.

Although, my house shows freezing temps again. Hit above freezing for an hour or so and I'm back at 32. It looks like anything melted is trying to solidify again.
threecatcorner
I think that if they are working on a leak, they sometimes have to cut off the water main that leads to wherever the leak is. Maybe the warning was just about the possibility of that happening since there are so many leaks.
DeckMe80
BTU? Communicating with me about anything other than my monthly bill and trying to sell me sewer line warranties? Not likely.
Chase
AG
AgTrip said:

Broncos said:

Who sent that?

Friend sent me this text:

From my leasing agent-We just received notice that both the City of Bryan and College Station will start to cut off water. With this being said, please fill your bathtubs with water or any extra bucks you may have laying around. We don't know when and how long they will cut the water off. Please try to conserve as much water as possible in your home.

I was just hoping to confirm if anyone else got this or is it BS.

I also don't want to spread misinformation which is why I'm asking.
This could be something at specific properties if it's a leasing agent saying this.

Bryan is having pressure issues because of so many leaks and has asked that people turn off their drips so it can get the pressure back to normal but I haven't heard anything about turning off water to the city.
AgTrip
I agree Chase which is why I was asking if anyone got this notice. If it's an apartment complex, why Bryan and CS? Have seen anything on their web sites.
Belton Ag
AG
LOL.

The Cities of Bryan and CS: "Guys, water pressure is critically low right now. Please try and conserve as much as possible for the time being."

Us: "OMG, fill every bathtub in the city full of water now!"
scd88
AG
Those of us on Wellborn water are experiencing very low pressure. If it stops, I'm turning mine off to avoid the crappy water and the potential water hammer of when it restarts.
Rockdoc
AG
I'm on Wellborn water and mine is completely out.
Chase
AG
AgTrip said:

I agree Chase which is why I was asking if anyone got this notice. If it's an apartment complex, why Bryan and CS? Have seen anything on their web sites.
HOPEFUL MEANING
Leasing agent with properties in both cities?

REALISTIC MEANING
Leasing agent told that by one city and just applied it to both out of an abundance of caution/worry.

CYNICAL THOUGHT
Leasing agent trying to fib a bit to prevent breaks in their pipes?
gunan01
AG
Wellborn water is off. Tried calling and get busy signal. This article from last night about a water main break at RP specifically states CS water should not be affected. Well something changed I guess.

https://www.kbtx.com/2021/02/17/wellborn-sud-working-on-water-line-break-at-rock-prairie-road/
waterchick
Hey - CS waterchick here. The water utilities are not shutting off water. What is happening here, and at water utilities across the state, is that as we've thawed *just a bit* all those pipes, water heaters, sprinkler systems, pool equipment, etc., that froze are now leaking, and demand is very high. So if people can cut off their own water immediately upon noticing a leak, that helps. If they were flowing faucets and can stop (preferably) or go to a very slow drip (if you feel like you have to), that helps. As we thaw out, more leaks will surface.

Like others said, IF there is a water line break, standard operating procedure is to shut off water to that line and isolate it to make the repair. That is when the water utility would shut water off. But we always do that.

I hope this is helpful. This conservation call isn't like the summer when we ask people to stop irrigating. Here we need people to not *flow* faucets, stop dripping unless absolutely necessary, and be very diligent in finding and reporting leaks. Dispatch number (for College Station) is 855-528-4278.

Latest info here: https://cstx.gov/news/what_s_new/winter_power_outage_information
Rapier108
Got a similar message, except nothing about shutting off the water by the city; just that maintenance might have to turn it off in the event of a break in my building.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
Rockdoc
AG
Yeah just a little more notification Would have been nice. Nobody is blaming the utility. Just keep us informed.
trouble
AG
These kinds of "messages" are popping up all over the state. Some people need something to do other than spread rumors.
Expert Analysis
AG
gunan01 said:

Wellborn water is off. Tried calling and get busy signal. This article from last night about a water main break at RP specifically states CS water should not be affected. Well something changed I guess.

https://www.kbtx.com/2021/02/17/wellborn-sud-working-on-water-line-break-at-rock-prairie-road/
Do you have wellborn water or CS water? CS water is a different system from wellborn water which is why the article said that incident should not affect CS water.
My wellborn water is on but lower pressure.
CS78
I'll turn off my running water just as soon as BTU turns the power back on that's been out for three days.
Born&Raised
waterchick said:

Hey - CS waterchick here. The water utilities are not shutting off water. What is happening here, and at water utilities across the state, is that as we've thawed *just a bit* all those pipes, water heaters, sprinkler systems, pool equipment, etc., that froze are now leaking, and demand is very high. So if people can cut off their own water immediately upon noticing a leak, that helps. If they were flowing faucets and can stop (preferably) or go to a very slow drip (if you feel like you have to), that helps. As we thaw out, more leaks will surface.

Like others said, IF there is a water line break, standard operating procedure is to shut off water to that line and isolate it to make the repair. That is when the water utility would shut water off. But we always do that.

I hope this is helpful. This conservation call isn't like the summer when we ask people to stop irrigating. Here we need people to not *flow* faucets, stop dripping unless absolutely necessary, and be very diligent in finding and reporting leaks. Dispatch number (for College Station) is 855-528-4278.

Latest info here: https://cstx.gov/news/what_s_new/winter_power_outage_information

Can I get your thoughts on how much all these repairs will cost?
jaTmes
Anyone on Wickson Water having low pressure problems? Water pressure dropped in the last hour.
waterchick
My mom is on Wickson. She texted that she noticed the pressure dropped.
fcag
AG
jaTmes said:

Anyone on Wickson Water having low pressure problems? Water pressure dropped in the last hour.
We are on Wickson also and the pressure has been dropping for the last hour and half. It's down to a trickle now.
fcag
AG
We just got a notice from Wickson Water that we are now under a boil water notice.
KaneIsAble
AG
Yep.
MiMi
S
Code Maroon just now: Campus water supplies nearing a critically low level. Avoid unnecessary use of water until further notice.
Rockdoc
AG
Here's to hoping we all get progress reports. Will be nice to be able to make plans and have some idea of resumption of services.
scd88
AG
Wellborn water is zero at my house.
Tailgate88
AG
We're on Wellborn and have almost zero water. Did they fix the leak at Rock Prairie that was supplying our water tower? Anyone have any updates on that?

In case anyone hasn't heard - Wellborn & Wickson are both on a boil water advisory.

https://www.wellbornsud.com/news-detail?item_id=18361

AggiePhil
AG
What/where is Wickson Water? I've heard of Wixon Valley but not Wickson.
theNetSmith
AG
We are Wellborn Water customers.. down Koppe Bridge Rd.

Our water is still running, tho we have noticed decreased water pressure since yesterday.
90 bull
AG
Wickson supplies a lot of water in different areas around Bryan. We are in Greenbrier across form Miramont, and we are on Wickson.
AggiePhil
AG
Interesting. Any idea as to the origin of the name?
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.