Anyone get a notice about water shut off?

7,901 Views | 85 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Drewmeister
BQwolf05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We have heard nothing and phone line is just busy to find out what the deal is. We have water prepared and I just added some snow to the tub to use in the toilets as needed.
waterchick
Wickson Creek Special Utility District (aka Wickson Water) serves eastern Brazos County and some parts of Bryan, and Grimes County as well.

Wellborn Special Utility District primarily serves south and west Brazos County but also Creek Meadows, Mission Ranch, and the Barracks inside College Station city limits.

It can be confusing right now keeping track of what is happening with which system. If your pipes froze earlier this week, your water should be turned off (by you) at the meter. That didn't happen in many locations, and now that we have thawed, leaks are popping up everywhere. Conserve please, and spread grace around like it's hand sanitizer.
90 bull
AG
Full name is Wickson Creek special utility district, so I assume a MUD started around Wickson Creek, which Apple Maps tells be runs from Wickson Valley to past Elmo Weedon

Edit: or what the much more knowledgeable waterchick answered.
AggiePhil
AG
Interesting. Looks like Wickson Creek does run out toward Wixon Valley. I bet someone changed the spelling of one or the other somewhere along the way and it stuck.
trouble
AG
https://www.facebook.com/100449321366/posts/10157978976381367/
Tailgate88
AG
Well, now my septic system is alarming. When it rains, it pours! Is it happy hour yet?
Broncos
Not worth it today. NM.
jaTmes
Would it be best to keep the power on to the water heaters or turn them off? No water feeding through, just what's left in the tanks. Their in the attic
halibut sinclair
AggiePhil said:

Interesting. Looks like Wickson Creek does run out toward Wixon Valley. I bet someone changed the spelling of one or the other somewhere along the way and it stuck.
SUD named for Wickson Creek. Been around since 1969.

In 1969, a small group of citizens of Northeast Brazos County created a water system to meet the needs of the rural area. Now, over 40 years later, the Wickson Creek Special Utility District (WCSUD) supplies water to an area of approximately 750 square miles in portions of Brazos, Grimes and Robertson Counties, serving over 7,500 customers. WCSUD currently has 13 wells, which can produce 6 million gallons of water per day from the Sparta, Simsboro and Yeagua Aquifers. Our main goal is to maintain "Quality On Tap" water and service to our customers. To ensure the highest water quality possible, water testing is regularly administered.

https://wicksoncreek.com/about-us
MSN
A Wickson Water representative informed me late this afternoon that the low pressure is due to a BTU power outage. I assume the power is needed for their pumps.
techno-ag
AG
Can confirm somebody on Wickson said they got an email explaining the water towers are empty and they can't refill them because BTU power is out in the area.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
gunan01
AG
This is the latest Wellborn SUD update. You can sign up for updates at the bottom of the linked page here.

https://wellbornsud.com/alerts
gunan01
AG
Related: what is Black Jack and Brushy?
CS78
gunan01 said:

This is the latest Wellborn SUD update. You can sign up for updates at the bottom of the linked page here.

https://wellbornsud.com/alerts

Thanks for posting. Unfortunately, that statement pretty much says nothing.

Always felt like Wellborn water does the minimum required. They've been closed ever since covid started.
curry97
AG
Problem is multiple things for all water districts:

Overuse by people (people running hose bibs full blast to the point it is many gallons/min)

Wells are on BTU grids, and blackouts and outages are limiting the system to catch back up.
Rearview
AG
Communities north of Bryan
gunan01
AG
Agree completely. Unfortunately we don't get a choice of water providers.

No updates regarding timeline is frustrating.
gunan01
AG
Can someone shed some light on this from Wellborn SUD:
" boil their water prior to consumption (e.g., washing hands/face, brushing teeth, drinking, etc). Children, seniors, and persons with weakened immune systems are particularly vulnerable to harmful bacteria, and all customers should follow these directions). To ensure destruction of all harmful bacteria and other microbes, water for drinking, cooking, and ice making should be boiled and cooled prior to use for drinking water or human consumption purposes. The water should be brought to a vigorous rolling boil and then boiled for two minutes. In lieu of boiling, individuals may purchase bottled water or obtain water from some other suitable source for drinking water or human consumption purposes."

Do we really need to be boiling our water?? I don't know anyone in Wellborn SUD area doing this.
momtaxi
We have water to boil it first. Some of us hasn't had water from wellborn all day.
CS78
It's my understanding that state law requires that notice be sent out any time water pressure drops below 20psi. There isn't enough pressure to guarantee that contaminated water hasn't back flowed in to the system. As to what the chance of it being an actual problem, no clue.
Rockdoc
AG
I'm on Wellborn water and not boiling. Of course when I open the tap absolutely nothing comes out, so....
CS78
To anyone that still has NO water when it's time to go to sleep. Leave all of your faucets open. This will help relieve pressure in your lines when they freeze. Forecast for morning is showing 24*-25*.
scd88
AG
CS78 said:

To anyone that still has NO water when it's time to go to sleep. Leave all of your faucets open. This will help relieve pressure in your lines when they freeze. Forecast for morning is showing 24*-25*.

Good advice.
scd88
AG
Any reports of people getting water back?
OldAg68
AG
We're on the Wellborn system - our pressure/volume is pretty low but we still have water. It's been that way since Wednesday morning.
gunan01
AG
We have low water pressure but we are getting water. Pressure has been low since yesterday.

No updates from Welborn water since yesterday. Assuming boil water advisory is still in effect.
gunan01
AG
There is no explicit mention in the boil water advisory regarding washing hands, brushing teeth, and showering with the Welborn water.

Do you all think it is safe to wash hands, brush teeth, and shower with the Wellborn water?
Rockdoc
AG
Nothing more than a pencil lead stream for me. Come on Wellborn water!
scd88
AG
Thanks. I have turned my water off as I was getting no pressure yesterday afternoon. It may be low pressure at this point. Who knows. I'll check later this morning.
histag10
AG
jaTmes said:

Anyone on Wickson Water having low pressure problems? Water pressure dropped in the last hour.

Yall have pressure? We are on Wickson and our area has been completely out for almost 48 hours now
histag10
AG
CS78 said:

This is partially good advice. Many people out here who have no water have had drain lines to septic freeze. So if water starts running, it will flood the house.
CS78
Maybe Wellborn water should have spent the money from the fancy new building thats not even being used on infrastructure or more employees instead. No excuse for a water main break to still be out two days later.
Rockdoc
AG
CS78 said:

Maybe Wellborn water should have spent the money from the fancy new building thats not even being used on infrastructure or more employees instead. No excuse for a water main break to still be out two days later.

Agreed. Do we know for sure this is the problem? Getting kind of tired of sparse information from them.
waterchick
From TCEQ: "DO NOT DRINK THE WATER WITHOUT BOILING IT FIRST. Bring all water to a boil, let it boil for one minute and let it cool before using, or use bottled water. Boiled or bottled water should be used for drinking, making ice, brushing teeth, washing dishes, and food preparation until further notice. Boiling kills bacteria and other organisms in the water." This is from the template provided by TCEQ. Basically if you're going to consume the water, it should be boiled.

Also discard ice cubes that were made prior to the boil order.
Tailgate88
AG
Waterchick, thanks for posting here. Do you know the status of the line break that was supplying Wellborn Water? There are a bunch of us with no water still this AM.

Edit: Just got this alert:

Alert from Wellborn Special Utility District: RESTORING WATER

Date: Feb 18, 2021

Wellborn Special Utility District has partially restored water production and we are currently attempting to fill our tanks.

We are requesting all customers immediately discontinue all water usuage to allow the tanks to build pressure.

We will continue to keep you updated.

Thank you.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.