How are roads in town today?

14,962 Views | 92 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BCStalk
kevmiller
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Specifically tower point area and HW6 south of town.

May have to make a trip in town.
TexAg1987
I will be making a short trek in a little while as well. If no one else responds before then I will.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Drove from Shenandoah down Longmire to Kroger. Longmire was still covered in snow but was no problem going 20mph. Took the access road back down to Barron and that road was pretty much snow-free and was just wet.

The Kroger parking lot was very treacherous, though. It felt like I was walking on the surface of Spirit Ice Arena and saw numerous vehicles sliding as they maneuvered down the aisles.
aggiepaintrain
AG
TP & Hwy 6 are fine, just went to H-E-B

they are out of all raw meat though
nthomas99
AG
I just came in from peach crossing down by the speedway to University Drive. Stopped at Exxon on Fitch by lowes to gas up and it was fine. Honestly was all that bad. University was the worst and even that's fine if you take your time and keep your distance from other cars. Granted, people's tolerances and comfort driving in this varies but definitely I have had much much worst on colorado trips.
Love Gun
Roads are still ass, all around town. The problem is a.) There are a lot more people that don't know how to drive in it out and about , and b.) All that slush that they're creating on the roads is just going to freeze again tonight - along with more precipitation.

Then it's really going to get fun tomorrow.
dallasiteinsa02
Love Gun said:

Roads are still ass, all around town. The problem is a.) There are a lot more people that don't know how to drive in it out and about , and b.) All that slush that they're creating on the roads is just going to freeze again tonight - along with more precipitation.

Then it's really going to get fun tomorrow.
I agree. The next two days are going to be a disaster.
legalbird
Stay inside. Road full of idiots that will either tailgate you or pass you. Tow truck drivers, tonight, I salute you.

Driving at 25mph is a breeze but the other drivers will crash you.
merc
AG
legalbird said:

Stay inside. Road full of idiots that will either tailgate you or pass you. Tow truck drivers, tonight, I salute you.

Driving at 25mph is a breeze but the other drivers will crash you.
This. I made a run at lunch and it was ok just putting along but I was passed multiple times by people going way to fast and saw many in the ditch. The stores were almost completely empty as well. I can't imagine what they have now.
91_Aggie
AG
I drove early this morning 7am from Shenandoah to apartment complex off of Harvey Mitchell near wellborn intersection. Hardly any traffic at that time (went down Victoria and welsh on the way there and then back on Wellborn to Rock Prairie (wanted to see if stores were open) then down access road back to Barron.

Drove on pack snow most of the trip and never slid once (was only going 20 to 25 though)... front wheel drive Rav 4.

Then at 10:30am tried to go to HEB on tower point but they couldn't registers to work so we headed to Kroger. roads were slushier and more slippery at that time, but never felt unsafe. However, leaving Kroger we wanted to hit Whataburger were leaving out the exit to Longmire near the CVS. Two rear-wheel drive fullsize trucks couldn't make it up that slight hill where you turn right out of there to Longmire... one kept trying but wheels were spinning and he drifted back and to the left and eventually just had to roll backwards down the hill behind specs.

2nd truck thought he had a better truck but he didn't make it either. at that point, I noped out of there and took a right thorugh CVS parking lot and got out on Rock Prairied and we head down Barron Access road.
Lots of snow had melted, but it was actually slushier now and less safe than early that morning.

I any partially melted snow will probably start turning to ice as the sun goes down and temps drop.

Gonna be interesting if that freezing rain sticks tonight.
CS78
I've been out a lot in the last few days. Its been worse in the last 30 minutes than it has yet. A lot of what was melting earlier has already frozen.
cz308
Drove down 2818, heading to the pasture today out near Dime Box. City streets were fine this morning as was hwy 21. Hwy 47 was mostly white, but most of 21 was clear in the right lane. On the way back around 2 pm, hwy 21 was great with speeds of 65 to 70. Hwy 47 was still white and getting sloppy so there were some reduced speeds.

Too many idiots on the city streets who can't drive. Can easily drive 35 down University, but some people are driving 10 and 15 mph. Probably some of the same people who are either out joy riding or have no business on it to begin with. Tomorrow is gonna be interesting so those of you creeping along like your great grand parents, you should probably stay home.
Smeghead4761
I've got a RWD pickup and I have to be at work tomorrow at 7 am. I loaded about 250 lbs of stuff in the back of the truck. I tried to put chains on but gave up.

Slow driving it is.
91_Aggie
AG
wife just tried to drive back to my daughter's apartment... roads really icy now as some snow melted but is now freezing with sun going down.... she noped out and came back home
CS78
I expect a lot of wrecks tomorrow from people that have gotten comfortable in the last couple days.
Azeew
Black ice forming now that the sun has gone down. I was driving home at sunset and it was already getting slick in spots that looked fine. I kept my left tires just on the snow in the turning lane and had no trouble after that
kevmiller
cz308 said:

Too many idiots on the city streets who can't drive. Can easily drive 35 down University, but some people are driving 10 and 15 mph. Probably some of the same people who are either out joy riding or have no business on it to begin with. Tomorrow is gonna be interesting so those of you creeping along like your great grand parents, you should probably stay home.

Seriously would not blame someone for driving too slow in these conditions.
I'm sure most of the accidents or cars that ended up in ditch were a result of people driving too fast and not from driving too slow.
CS Iron 25
Roads are getting really bad now. What was melted is all ice, and more freezing rain coming tonight

Tomorrow morning will be miserable.
toolshed
AG
Was out delivering some wood this evening. 6 is pretty good and dry from OSR to university. Exit ramps can be sketchy.

Feeder at southbound exit to university is sketchy. University is an ice rink. I was worried of someone braking and sliding into me. And me siding into someone, even with slowing way before the light and only light pressure on brakes. S College especially around N street to Villa Maria is all ice.

All wet areas will be ice in the morning. Especially if we get the precip they are calling for overnight. Supposed to help with more wood tomorrow but we will see what the morning presents. Not really wanting to wreck my truck.

I feel terrible for those without power. One had a bedridden elderly mom in a hospital bed in the back room under several blankets trying to stay warm. Another had sent his mom away to warm up. Said their house got down to 41 last night.
birdman
Don't plan on driving today but it looks nasty. I have a winter slurry at my house.
Harbor Bay
Just drove from Navasota to WD Fitch. Over passes have ice. The road is passable. When I drove 40 mph, my windshield started to ice up. Dropped it down to 30 and it melted.

From hwy 6 to hwy 30, it was pretty bad. Lots of slush and ice. Be careful out there and take out slow. Btw, I'm in a car, not a truck or SUV.
ratfacemcdougal
fair news and worse news....the rain is helping melt and wash some of the stuff away, the worse news, the trees and power lines are now collecting ice big time. More uncontrolled power outages on the way.
BCStalk
Not really. Today is the first time I turned around and couldn't make it to work. I spun 3 times and drove 2 blocks. Please stay home if possible.
Harbor Bay
It's much worse today.

On the plus side, there's no traffic.
BCStalk
Probably because people are still trying to figure out how to get out of their neighborhood. Give it time. People have to get to the store to fill their tanks up to go no where. That or to buy beer.
threecatcorner
On KBTX this morning, it said:

TRAVEL: DON'T
CS78
I'm not finding any slick ice. Just deep slush. Drainage appears to be the biggest issue right now. The slushy isn't draining. The usual high water spots are worse than normal.
cz308
BCStalk said:

Probably because people are still trying to figure out how to get out of their neighborhood. Give it time. People have to get to the store to fill their tanks up to go no where. That or to buy beer.
Thanks for reminding me, I need gas.
BCStalk
Don't forget the 5 gallon Home Depot buckets...seriously though, someone yesterday was filling some up in their trunk.
cz308
Wow it's about all I can say to that.
cavscout96
AG
Ah... An actual recon report. Makes my heart warm.....
cavscout96
AG
Thanks

How bad were the overpasses? I have to go to and through Navasota today.
BCStalk
Finally made it to work. As stated, everything is turning to slush and not terrible. Problem I had was people have gotten too comfortable and were blowing by me as I was doing the speed limit. There are definitely still ice patches on high spots and closer to the curb.
Broncos
Other problem will be getting home. Temps are set to start falling again.
lawless89
Roads are wet and slushy, but very little ice that I saw. Headed home after driving all over town delivering firewood. BUT with the temps dropping shortly, travel will impossible with every road potentially icing over.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.