How are roads in town today?

15,042 Views | 92 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BCStalk
Love Gun
How long do you want to ignore this user?
CSISD has already CANX classes for tomorrow and maybe even Friday
chickencoupe16
AG
I'll echo what everyone else has said. Roads are better than yesterday but extremely wet. Tonight and tomorrow morning will be bad.
nthomas99
AG
Just drove into my office on university drive. Better than yesterday. Question: Is "better today, but tomorrow it'll be really bad" the new "just wait two weeks?". I kid, kid
Smeghead4761
I drive in from 1179 to campus. Took just under an hour from 5:30-6:20. I drove 20 mph the whole way. It was dumping rain.
1179 was pretty bad, Even with the rain, there was thick ice in places.
Briarcrest/ VM was slushy but drivable.
South College was nasty.
I actually saw plows (road graders) on Stotzer just east of 2818.
cavscout96
AG
In this case it's probably actually accurate
cavscout96
AG
Did a quick recon before heading to Navasota

Hwy 6. Very good
Ramps. fair. Use caution
Feeder roads. Nixed bag. Use extreme caution

Parking lots. Hit or miss. Use caution.

Low lying areas are inundated with melt. Slow down to avoid hydroplaning.

Tomorrow likely VERY SLOW or NO GO as it doesn't look to get above freezing until late.
BQ_90
AG
cavscout96 said:

Did a quick recon before heading to Navasota

Hwy 6. Very good
Ramps. fair. Use caution
Feeder roads. Nixed bag. Use extreme caution

Parking lots. Hit or miss. Use caution.

Low lying areas are inundated with melt. Slow down to avoid hydroplaning.

Tomorrow likely VERY SLOW or NO GO as it doesn't look to get above freezing until late.
username checks out
jac4
AG
nthomas99 said:

Just drove into my office on university drive. Better than yesterday. Question: Is "better today, but tomorrow it'll be really bad" the new "just wait two weeks?". I kid, kid

This is literally what I was thinking while driving in this morning.
localag88
How's 47 and 21?
BCSWguru
Roads are good mostly, on the main thoroughfares. The bread and chip aisles at the stores however.....
RDH80
AG
How is wellborn from Duck Haven into town ?
cavscout96
AG
Haven't been over there, but since it is a main road, likely to be decent to good.

Temps right at 32* so no freezing, yet...
JB
AG
21 from Wixon Valley into Bryan is in pretty good shape.
localag88
Thanks
Tailgate88
AG
I live off GP road near Royder Ridge, drove to TP HEB earlier. Roads were slushy in the subdivision, but GP road I was driving on concrete - wet, not icy. Parking lot at HEB was a little iffy, so I parked at the bottom and walked up. LOTS of people there. No meat or dairy, very little bread but the bakery was baking up some fresh stuff. Produce was pretty good. Plenty of adult beverages.

If you're going to go, you better go now, because when it gets cold tonight this whole mess is going to freeze and then it's going to be a skating rink.
Aggie
AG
Tailgate88 said:

If you're going to go, you better go now, because when it gets cold tonight this whole mess is going to freeze and then it's going to be a skating rink.

Curious how many consecutive days this will be posted... going on what .. 3 now
halibut sinclair
Aggie said:

Tailgate88 said:

2 more weeks.
Tailgate88
AG
halibut sinclair said:

Aggie said:

Tailgate88 said:

2 more weeks.
Shaddup!
cz308
Went to the pasture again today without issues. 2818 wasn't bad no was FM 60/University. Hwy 47 had a couple of slick spots this morning on the way out, but average speed was about 45 mph or so. Hwy 21 was clear and wet, speeds safe in the right lane up to 60 mph. FM 60 was slick as snot in most places until I turned off.

On the way back this evening, FM 60 was better, speeds avg 45 mph. Hwy 21 was clear and wet in the right lane with safe speeds up to 75 mph were easily possible. Hwy 47 improved on the way back home and avg speeds were 55. University Dr. and Texas Ave were just wet, but no ice. I really didn't even notice any ice on any bridges today. I will say I was in 4HI most of the time, except on Hwy 21.

I was kind of disappointed. I expected it to be a lot worse today, but given we were at 32-34 degrees, I'm not surprised. Lows tonight of 25 will likely refreeze everything, so tomorrow morning could be interesting.
Love Gun
I think if any nonessential, M-F type businesses are looking at reopening on Friday, they might want to reconsider. I understand the sooner they reopen, the better, but it's just not worth having people out on the roads - at least until it warms up and melts this weekend.
BCStalk
Unfortunately I would agree with you if so many employees did not rely on every paycheck to pay their bills. I have to go to work to check on equipment and plumbing everyday. It's not as easy as just shutting completely down.
selk
AG
Haven't been bad
scd88
AG
halibut sinclair said:

2 more weeks.

Holy ****, what thread did I click on?
toolshed
AG
Aggie said:

Tailgate88 said:

Until it quits freezing overnight, making ice on the roads? I mean, they aren't wrong? I realize it's probably sarcasm.

Driving around late today delivering wood, roads were better. But almost slid though the intersection at Boonville and 1179. Light changed as I was approaching the light from 6 on Boonville and the bridge before the light is nasty. I could feel the antilock brakes vibrating to keep them from locking up. Stopped past the white bar at the intersection. Combination of driving too fast, slush and ice there as the trees shade the road there so it didn't melt and the bridge just before.

Copperfield is still pretty bad on the streets.

Parts of the Oaks were still covered in snow/ slush and ice on the streets.

Seems a lot of the higher traveled areas are thawing/ dry due to the higher traffic volume.
ChampsAg
Went from Hwy 30 near Power Sports to over by Target in Bryan. Then to Kroger on Booneville and back. No issues at all

This was around 4:00-5:00 PM
MiMi
S
Quote:

Then to Kroger on Booneville and back.
Any food left on the shelves?
Smeghead4761
Major roads coming in this morning were mostly dry. Patches of ice in places, especially on the feeder where melt runoff runs onto the road.

Side roads tend to be crusty and crunchy.
jac4
AG
Langenator said:

Major roads coming in this morning were mostly dry. Patches of ice in places, especially on the feeder where melt runoff runs onto the road.

Side roads tend to be crusty and crunchy.

Thanks for the update. We planned on starting a bit later today at work, but I doubt we'll have above freezing temperatures by 10:00 at this point.
doubledog
According to KBTX we should expect "glaze" for an other few hours

CS78
Lots of patchy super slick refreeze this morning. Deceiving because the roads look a lot better.
cavscout96
AG
CS78..... Is this on the highway, or feeder/side roads?

Both?

Need to make a run, probably waiting till after noon or so to let the temps get up a little more.
BCStalk
Feeder road was good mostly. It's still iced between less driven areas. People driving on the highway at a decent speed so I'm assuming it's good. Neighborhood roads pretty icees still. Bridges of course are iced and I recommend not using the turnarounds at bridges. Use the lights.
doubledog
Texas Ave from Highway 6 to the University is ok, except at a few intersections. Slow down when turning on the side roads, do not speed.

Best advice for driving on ice. Treat the control pedals (brake, gas, clutch) on your car/truck like they are half filled water balloons, that you do not want to break.

joho
doubledog said:

Best advice for driving on ice. Treat the control pedals (brake, gas, clutch) on your car/truck like they are half filled water balloons, that you do not want to break.

Thx for that! I'd add that "riding the brakes" occasionally helps keep them dry, someone recently reminded me.
techno-ag
AG
You can take a look at highway cameras here:

https://its.txdot.gov/ITS_WEB_LEGACY/FrontEnd/default.html?r=BRY&p=Bryan&t=cctv
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.