Power outages.. report..

45,882 Views | 414 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Slocum on a mobile
trouble
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We'll have to offer to take a kid then. There's no quiet over here.
jac4
AG
So how much longer are we projected to be in this situation? What are the best guesses of educated people?

We will have some time tomorrow and the next few days with temperatures above freezing. Will that help us locally any? It looks like the Dallas area won't see temps above freezing until Friday.
lost my dog
threecatcorner said:

75AG said:

You need to drive through west Texas. They spin just fine. Many are temporarily stopped because the electricity is not needed.

If West Texas actually has windmills that would work and they're off because power isn't needed out there, ERCOT needs to tell them to turn them back on and pay West Texas to send some energy to the grid that most of Texas is on. Even if there's not much interconnectivity with other states, ERCOT ought to be able to hook up with West Texas.
Right now wind turbines are not the issue.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-02-16/frozen-wind-farms-were-just-a-small-piece-of-texas-s-power-woes

"While ice has forced some turbines to shut down just as a brutal cold wave drives record electricity demand, that's been the least significant factor in the blackouts, according to Dan Woodfin, a senior director for the Electric Reliability Council of Texas, which operates the state's power grid.

The main factors: Frozen instruments at natural gas, coal and even nuclear facilities, as well as limited supplies of natural gas, he said. "Natural gas pressure" in particular is one reason power is coming back slower than expected Tuesday, added Woodfin."

ERCOT does connect with most of west Texas http://www.ercot.com/news/mediakit/maps. The parts of Texas it doesn't cover are closer to other states than the main metro areas of Texas (El Paso excepted).
Rapier108
Quote:

Following through with ERCOT's instructions could easily end in some deaths (probably already has).
That is pretty much what BTU is saying.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
techno-ag
AG
KBTX is saying Reed Arena will be opened as a warming center for residents.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
Rapier108
techno-ag said:

KBTX is saying Reed Arena will be opened as a warming center for residents.
Will be interesting to see how they do it; because you know they'll have to keep people apart, and of course, masks on the entire time no matter what.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
BluHorseShu
AG
Rapier108 said:

Quote:

Following through with ERCOT's instructions could easily end in some deaths (probably already has).
Does anyone know if CS utilities has to follow the same mandates as BTU from ERCOT? Seems the rolling blackouts are more consistent with CS residents than Bryan
Birddog
AG
BluHorseShu said:

Rapier108 said:

Quote:

Does anyone know if CS utilities has to follow the same mandates as BTU from ERCOT? Seems the rolling blackouts are more consistent with CS residents than Bryan

Agree, seems they are managing the blackouts completely different.
jwj
Also texas providers chose ot to spend to protect from extreme cold. That's why place like Iowa have power, at least one reason
jim james
Justin2010
AG
Birddog said:

BluHorseShu said:

Rapier108 said:

Quote:

Agree, seems they are managing the blackouts completely different.

My understanding is cs is covered by another city managing it's energy trading, so they have been in better shape.
Ukraine Gas Expert
AG
Well consistent for those having to endure the "blackouts", some haven't.
curry97
AG
I am curious how many BTU/CSU board of directors, other city directors, and B/CS city council members have actually lost power through this?
EliteElectric
The mayors have lost power idk about the other people.
CS78
What's the story on why they haven't been able to restore power to the people that have been down longterm? Not the rolling blackouts. The entire areas with no power for days! Why did it go out? Why can't it be fixed?
Rapier108
CS78 said:

What's the story on why they haven't been able to restore power to the people that have been down longterm? Not the rolling blackouts. The entire areas with no power for days! Why did it go out? Why can't it be fixed?
From what I've been able to gather by reading the outage maps (both seem to be updating today unlike yesterday where they were completely whack), if the outage icon shows a crew assigned, it means that is an outage due to an actual problem with the lines/transformer/etc.. Both BTU and CSU shows outages with crews assigned to them so there are clearly some outages which are not rolling blackouts.

On the CSU map, if the outage keeps appearing and disappearing; it is a rolling blackout. The BTU map seems to have the rolling blackouts never disappear, even when the power is on in that area.
Post removed:
by user
josecanuc
A person I know has a natural-gas powered generator with auto switch. With the cold temps and the constant on-and-off of the rotating blackout, the battery didn't have enough time to recharge and it is currently not usable without having to jump-start it. Something to be aware of. It was purchased with thunderstorm-related outages in mind.
dubi
AG
josecanuc said:

A person I know has a natural-gas powered generator with auto switch. With the cold temps and the constant on-and-off of the rotating blackout, the battery didn't have enough time to recharge and it is currently not usable without having to jump-start it. Something to be aware of. It was purchased with thunderstorm-related outages in mind.
Perhaps it might have been better to go 100% generator if the house was up/down so much?

Just curious.
AC Hopper
S
curry97 said:

I am curious how many BTU/CSU board of directors, other city directors, and B/CS city council members have actually lost power through this?
uh huh
chickencoupe16
AG
josecanuc said:

I know nothing about standby generators, but I would assume there is a way to manually run the generator to power the house. He could commit to running the generator the next time the power goes out and run it even the next time the power comes on. Should charge the battery and give the grid a tiny break.
mosesrab90
AG
We put in a 25kw gas generator at our former home down in Spring as we had power problems even on normal weather days. Used it more the first few years but never lost power during Harvey. Current homeowners are loving it this week.
aviationag
AG
I have a 4 bedroom/3 bath home in Grand Oaks Circle (by the ALOFT hotel off of University). I'm here alone this trip and have power 15 minutes each hour. If you need a place to stay, I'm happy to help.

By the way.....I'm a grandmother and can even sing the Paw Patrol theme.
jeffk
AG
That's incredibly kind of you to offer and I know all five of us would be super thrilled to hear the PP performance, but I really think we're going to be okay.
dubi
AG
jeffk said:

That's incredibly kind of you to offer and I know all five of us would be super thrilled to hear the PP performance, but I really think we're going to be okay.

At some point you need to fib and tell us
1) power on, or
2) you have accepted one of many generous offers.

We are all worried about you and you are being stubborn!
trouble
AG
If I get worried enough about him, I'll message his wife
histag10
AG
Still havent lost power, but lost water around noon. Wickson says there was a leak or break on their end, but it still isnt restored yet...
10thYrSr
aviationag said:

I have a 4 bedroom/3 bath home in Grand Oaks Circle (by the ALOFT hotel off of University). I'm here alone this trip and have power 15 minutes each hour. If you need a place to stay, I'm happy to help.

By the way.....I'm a grandmother and can even sing the Paw Patrol theme.

Can you sing the part where Everest is ready to go, ice or snow? Nevermind, sounds like a Tinder thing.
jagouar1
AG
KidDoc said:

This is the most recent powerwall report from my app in Pebble Creek. It has been a real lifesaver during this mess. And now with the sun out I'm getting some solar on top.

Internet is pretty much shot aside from cell which is also very slow. But we have had power the whole time due to the Powerwall so I'm thankful I bought it about a year ago mostly for solar power storage since CSU doesn't do net metering.

I was already looking at a solar roof/powerwall system for the house we are going to build but all the mess recently with this has me really thinking it needs to be a requirement and not just an "nice to have". I would be curious on your thoughts with the system overall in Texas (most of the reviews I have been able to find are in California which is of limited value with our weather conditions).
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Just lost power in Shenandoah for first time since before noon yesterday. Not good as I know it's not a rolling blackout. Not good at all.
CS78
Power just dropped in Creek meadows for the first time. Larger problems?

It tried to restart but couldn't. Does that mean a grounded line somewhere?

Ukraine Gas Expert
AG
I Swear we had a couple hours last night with power, this morning looks like day three of 30 on and 30 off for us. Kids are trying to keep active.
birdman
I have some limbs down in my yard. I imagine we are going to have downed power lines.
KidDoc
AG
clinte234 said:

What all are you able to run off of that Powerall?
The entire house and pool pump. Despite being off grid rougly half the the time it hasn't dropped below 50% as it recharges when the grid connects.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
KidDoc
AG
jagouar1 said:

KidDoc said:

This is the most recent powerwall report from my app in Pebble Creek. It has been a real lifesaver during this mess. And now with the sun out I'm getting some solar on top.

Internet is pretty much shot aside from cell which is also very slow. But we have had power the whole time due to the Powerwall so I'm thankful I bought it about a year ago mostly for solar power storage since CSU doesn't do net metering.

I was already looking at a solar roof/powerwall system for the house we are going to build but all the mess recently with this has me really thinking it needs to be a requirement and not just an "nice to have". I would be curious on your thoughts with the system overall in Texas (most of the reviews I have been able to find are in California which is of limited value with our weather conditions).
I love having it but it will not zero out your electric bill. CSU also does not like solar and does nothing to encourage it. IMO you almost half to have batteries to make it worth the hassle because they buy your excess production at market value not "net metering".

It is a long ROI if electric costs are static-- likely 12ish years. But I expected electric cost to rise over the next decade prior to Biden and this disaster, now I am certain it is going to go up so that ROI may drop to 10 or 8 years.

I used sunpro feel free to PM if you want contact info and more details. We can also split the referral bonus which I think is $500 or $250 or something.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
JP76
GiveEmHellBill said:

Just lost power in Shenandoah for first time since before noon yesterday. Not good as I know it's not a rolling blackout. Not good at all.

I'm in that area and the pattern looks like it is

Off 6:45
On 7:17

Off 7:51
On 8:25

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.