Power outages.. report..

45,896 Views | 414 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Slocum on a mobile
91_Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ours came back about 2-3 hours and hasn't rolled off again... so far we are stable.
Internet still solid since it came back (Suddenlink)
75AG
AG
Got this from Space City Weather. It's about Houston and CenterPoint; however, good info about ERCOT:

https://spacecityweather.com/the-power-situation-is-disastrous-and-it-likely-wont-be-fixed-tonight/
UmustBKidding
The three on off cycling is typically of primary line reclosers
Linemen typically work from source to termination point of a trouble line. They may clear a trouble on the source end and energize the line and still have additional trouble further down the line. Lines have reclosers in them when they detect a fault the open and try to reclose a few seconds later hoping the fault was transient like a limb fell and caused fault and may have just hit and fell off. They have a small delay and typically try 3 times before giving up. This keeps power flowing for short faults but keeps hard fault lines from having live wires on the ground.
So when the three energize on off is likey crew jas to move further down line and find the next fault.
I have seen cars clip pole and swing wire enough to arc but when pole quits swinging and just hanging from the wire the reclosers energize line and all customer noticed is quick power cycles but they report to maintenance they tripped and crew will be dispatched to try to see what caused trip
Mathguy64
AG
Copperfield was out from 1:20 until 3:30. Our 4th outage.
Rapier108
Don't trust the BTU or CSU outage maps. They are completely FUBAR. Areas showing out are not, and areas showing online are out.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
milner79
6:25. Out again for maybe the 19th or 12th time since 2 this morning.
curry97
AG
Out again. Got all of the candles lit and our battery operated lights going. Plus fireplace going for heat
jeffk
AG
Ours was on for about two hours from 4-6 pm but it's been out since. Trying to decide if we want to hang in here or drive to a friends in CS.
milner79
6:37. Power back. Shortest outage so far.
milner79
Is there an explanation for why some neighborhoods seem not to be impacted by the outages?
The Brazos Kid
I can only guess proximity to essential services. We are close to BSW and St. Joseph on Rock Prairie and have thankfully been online all day. That could definitely change though...
Corn Pop
We're headed to a friends. This is ridiculous.
lawless89
milner79 said:

Is there an explanation for why some neighborhoods seem not to be impacted by the outages?

I'm curious as well. We live just outside of city limits off 30 in the neighborhood behind C&J's BBQ and have not lost power once. Pretty sure we don't have any essential services in our rural neighborhood. We are on BTU. Counting our blessings over here!
tb9665
Might be proximity to services. Think of sewage plants etc.
Ukraine Gas Expert
AG
Neighborhood, hell streets. People behind us haven't had issues. In Castlegate 2.

Beyond ridiculous at this stage.
Rapier108
If you have a hospital, police station, fire station, water/wastewater plant, or other essential facility nearby and are on the same part of the grid, you won't lose power as those facilities have to stay online.

Also, you might be on part of the grid which cannot be taken down because it will also take down another section where one of those essential faculties is located.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
FlyRod
Left for friends in north Bryan after house temps dropped into low 40s. Burton Creek, still without power after 8 hours.
curry97
AG
Out again. Note to self: next time I buy a house in the city, make sure it is near something essential. Thank God I don't have to worry about that cause in 6 years hopefully we are moving out of here.
trouble
AG
We had 2 long outages today in central Bryan near Carter Creek and Villa Maria.

We finally made the decision to pack up and head to my MIL's house in CS because she's had power all day. If it goes out overnight, at least her house is at a warmer point right now.
trouble
AG
No clue. My neighbor's in-laws live literally across Carter Creek from us and they have not had a single outage.
HometownAg22
AG
Still have no power at the Cottages off Holleman and Harvey Mitchell. Haven't had it since 6 am. Apartment down to 45 degrees. No internet anywhere to be found even when the power was on. Weird though that some neighbors have power and some do not.
aggiepaintrain
AG
Why are some sections of the same neighborhood NOT effected!!!!

I can tel you this, I'm going to find out tomorrow!!
FJB
BCSMom
We live in the back of Raintree and are on a different grid than the front of Raintree. Neighborhoods are not all on the same grid.
aggiepaintrain
AG
Maybe they should alternate which grids lose power
FJB
CS78
I'm not the worrying type but I'm concerned for some of the elderly. There's areas that have been out for a long time now. Single digit temps tonight. If they don't have a gas heat source, things could get bad.
EBrazosAg
AG
What needs to happen is we all need to hold our elected officials accountable for choosing some green energy expediency or cost efficiency in exchange for not applying Six Sigma principles to the power grid. If I lived in CA I would expect it. In Tx, not so much. But it's obvious the wind grid is not as robust as needed and the backup, rapid start capacity (NG turbine) isn't ready or sufficient for the moment. Add maintenance issues (Tx peak demand in summer so maintenance deferred to winter ) and here we are. There is a perfectly good power plant mothballed across the Navasota in Carlos ..... but we got to go to wind and solar.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Eliminatus
AG
Jinx said:

Have yet to lose power in Wheeler Ridge

I too live in Wheeler Ridge and I swear if you username comes into play I am going to yell a bunch of nasty things at you that you will never hear nor know about.
The Brazos Kid
#WindWatts
curry97
AG
This 30 minutes on, 30 minutes off is BS. And they ask you to wait 15 minutes before you turn anything back on? By the time I turn it back on, they pull the plug again.
Post removed:
by user
Justin2010
AG
curry97 said:

This 30 minutes on, 30 minutes off is BS. And they ask you to wait 15 minutes before you turn anything back on? By the time I turn it back on, they pull the plug again.

At least you're getting 30 minutes. Another 3 hour stretch here, 4 hour stretch this morning.
aviationag
AG
I'm as tolerant as they come; try to understand the challenges of the situation....BUT, my neighborhood (Grand Oaks off of University and Lincoln) has had 15 minutes on; 45 off each hour, all day. I'm grateful we've had some power to enable me to charge my phone versus those who've had none but this has become absurd. At least two of my neighbors use CPAPs and need consistency; Relative called me from North Carolina and said Rick Perry was on FoxNews laying out the failure of green energy and the impact of this on Texas. I'm alone so it is realy hard to keep my enthusiasm up and positive!!
BCStalk
I have friends who have been out all day. One who finally went and hung out in his car just to get some heat and a phone charged.
91_Aggie
AG
Just lost power again in Shenandoah subdivison
AggiePhil
AG
Rapier108 said:

If you have a hospital, police station, fire station, water/wastewater plant, or other essential facility nearby and are on the same part of the grid, you won't lose power as those facilities have to stay online.

IDK about that. Power at CSPD was off and on all throughout the night/morning.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.