Power outages.. report..

45,876 Views | 414 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Slocum on a mobile
Smeghead4761
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just came back on in Steep Hollow Circle off 1179.

Inside temp was 53.
Goose83
AG
Had it cut out a couple of times (once when I was asleep), but really didn't go out until sometime around 5:30 or 6:00, and didn't come back on until about 10:00.

Got down to about 60, and was getting worried as the faucet covers rely a great deal on ambient heat from the house to protect the pipes (so far, everything is alright, but of course, the big test comes tonight).

Pisses me off that this was in large part due to the failure of the rotary bird abattoirs (aka Windmill Farms) in West Texas/Panhandle. Absolute BS, as it's almost inconceivable that the largest Oil and Gas producing state in the continental United States would ever experience an energy shortage. We got enough natural gas to power the entire planet for decades, and yet, we're reduced to this?

Also, the local utilities need to pull out of ERCOT and tell them to get stuffed, as their allegiance lies with their customers, not some bureaucratic entity served by outside interests.
Goose83
AG
aggiepaintrain said:

AggieAces06 said:

aggiepaintrain said:

Heat is cranked to 80!!!

I hope you're kidding. This is what is straining the system and causing these outages.

I have gas there buddy
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Went out here at Barron & Victoria about 20 minutes ago. Hoping it's just a rolling blackout.

Well, it lasted about 40 minutes
MrsGDub04
AG
Is there way to check if your house will lose power via rolling blackouts?
jeffk
AG
Power finally came back on up here in N. Bryan. Been out since 3:30 or so. Trying to warm the house up a bit. Was down to about 50. All the kids running around in their winter coats in the bedrooms.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
I just don't understand how I've lost power about 10 times now and the neighborhood next to us and even a few streets in this neighborhood (CG2) haven't yet lost power.
Rapier108
MrsGDub04 said:

Is there way to check if your house will lose power via rolling blackouts?
Nope, although after it happens a few times, you can probably guess when the next one is coming.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
FlyRod
Power out at Burton Creek again.
Rapier108
Esteban du Plantier said:

I just don't understand how I've lost power about 10 times now and the neighborhood next to us and even a few streets in this neighborhood (CG2) haven't yet lost power.
Probably should check who lives in that area.

And for those without a sense of humor, I'm half joking.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
curry97
AG
I don't understand it either. I know people on both CSU and BTU that haven't lost power at all.
histag10
AG
Tabor area on BTU- havent lost power at all
Thisguy1
I haven't had power since 8:40. Had the blackouts before that. I'm in The Oaks off Barak. My buddy is in some apartments by St Joseph hospital and he hasn't lost power once.
agfan2013
AG
Austin's colony. Still out, hasn't come one once since about 4am
WestTexasAg04
AG
I was looking at the outage map for CS and it looks like my house is in an section of the grid that also includes the hospital and a nursing home. I'm sure they have back up generators but maybe my area isn't being included in the rolling blackouts because of them.
Aggie
AG
Our just came back on after nearly 7 hours
Out at 4:55am back on at 11:45am

House temp was about 52 upstairs and 53 downstairs.

Hoping it stays on long enough to reheat the house.
Tailgate88
AG
We live out near Wellborn on BTU, have not lost power yet. Thankful but also saying a prayer for everyone to stay warm! We turned out heat way down and started a roaring fire, trying to do our part.
Justin2010
AG
From a friend that works in the power industry.
TexAg1987
Some people may be in a unique area that can't be isolated for a blackout without taking out more downstream customers than necessary. Or they may not be served with up to date automatic switch gear.

Just spit balling.
m3prsive
Williams Creek - power went out at 2 a.m or so. Came back at 10. House got a little chilly. BTU.
Rapier108
Hospitals, fire and police will get the highest priority. Nursing homes probably are just below them on the list of what stays on. I could see grocery stores being pretty high so all of the food does not spoil.

Oh, and I like how the utilities said wait 15-30 minutes before turning on anything. What the heck is the point? By the time you turn it on, the power goes out again.
Independence H-D
Might be that they are on a grid with critical infrastructure. We haven't lost power and speculate it's because we are on grid with a hospital and fire station.
Belton Ag
AG
The Oaks. Power was out from about 5:30 to 7:30 or so, then again from about 8:45 or 9 and is still out.
TexAg1987
My heat pump would take about 10 mins to start back up, then run for about 10 before the next blackout. We were losing ground until the power went out completely.
bushytailed
AG
Southwood Valley here. Lost power 8-9 times so far. The longest was about 40 minutes but for the most part it's been 10-15.
Rapier108
TexAg1987 said:

My heat pump would take about 10 mins to start back up, then run for about 10 before the next blackout. We were losing ground until the power went out completely.
Heat pumps are really made to run when it is this cold. If your system has an auxiliary option, best to run that for the time being.
curry97
AG
We have power for about 30 to 45 minutes and then another blackout occurs.
dylan
Same here in College station. Out from 10:30 to 11:30. On for half hour and out now since noon
Ukraine Gas Expert
AG
Losing power every 35-40 minutes, then on for about 30. CG2, CSU
MB19
AG
No power loss yet, but like a lot of folks in Creek Meadows my water is an issue.
ag009
AG
5 hours off, one hour on, going on 3 hours off. Not looking good here in west bryan. Wish there was some what to know which places I'd have hope of being restored and what places don't.
Jinx
Have yet to lose power in Wheeler Ridge
histag10
AG
TexAg1987 said:

Some people may be in a unique area that can't be isolated for a blackout without taking out more downstream customers than necessary. Or they may not be served with up to date automatic switch gear.

Just spit balling.

Im wondering if we arent having rolling blackouts outside of town because they dont want to have to send someone out into the county if there are issues bringing it back up. Also, we are way less densely populated, so not sure how much a blackout this way would help. Just a guess
Smeghead4761
Looking at the BTU outage map, it looks like almost the entire city west of 6 and south of the Briarcrest-Villa Maria line is down.
ForteAg12
AG
I've been without power in North Oakwood since about 8am. We had some rolling blackouts during the night, but it went out for good this morning.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.