Assisted Living Places - Bryan/College Station

5,178 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Old Ag 74
Cobra39
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I know a guy that is starting a search for an assisted living place for his parents there in town.

Does anybody have any positive recommendations.....or any advice for some places to stay away from?

Thanks in advance.

Cobra39
jeffk
AG
We have had a family member at Parc for 3+ years now and have been pleased with them. I'd be happy to answer questions about it or any of the other places we looked at in the area. My email address is in my profile.
75AG
AG
A few months back, I mistakenly asked for recommendations of assisted living facilities for my mom when I really wanted independent living. She decided on Arbor Oaks at Crestview, but having toured Parc, I was very impressed with their independent and assisted living facilities.
skeetboy3
AG
Grandmother just moved into Carriage Inn. So far, we are happy--too soon to give you more than initial impressions.
TXAGBQ76
AG
My mom has been at Bluebonnet Place for a year. It is older but well maintained. It is smaller, so lots of personal care. Good management and very caring staff.
Cobra39
Thanks for the info guys.

Cobra39
1%Realtor
Watercrest at Bryan is both independent and assisted living. Nice place.
Whachutalnbout Willys
AG
In-laws recently moved into independent living at the Langford and love it. Also looked at the Parc, which is just as nice, but proximity to us in Pebble Creek made the Langford an easy decision.

Main difference between the 2 is the Langford charges an entry fee, about the same amount as a mortgage, that is 90% refundable upon move out (or to the heirs upon death). The monthly fees between the 2 were comparable. I think the size of the units was just a little bit larger at the Langford than at the Parc.

The Parc requires a 12 month lease, but the person there who I spoke with said they will let you out of it with no penalty anytime with a 60 day notice.
75AG
AG
I think all the MRC facilities require the buy-in. The guaranteed 10% loss was almost a deal killer. But the assurance of mom being able to stay there even if she outlived her money was the benefit. She won't (hopefully), but that also decreases the cost of care as her needs increase.
jeffk
AG
The large amount, upfront down payment financing model was surprisingly commonplace when we did our research on facilities in the area back in 2017.
bloom
I could be mistaken, but I think for The Langford and others the initial buy in fee only applies to Independent Living. No buy in fee for Assisted Living
AggiePhil
AG
I looked into The Langford a year or so ago and I believe the buy-in fee alone was $300,000.
jeffk
AG
bloom said:

I could be mistaken, but I think for The Langford and others the initial buy in fee only applies to Independent Living. No buy in fee for Assisted Living

That's not what we were told by that facility in 2017, but that may have changed.
75AG
AG
Buy-in at Arbor Oaks at Crestview for a 1 BR, 1BA was $270,000. So the Langford at $300,000 sounds right. But that's for Independent Living.
JaneDoe02
AG
I've heard a lot of stories of people who, after their relative passed, when they tried to get the balance back from Crestview, found that it has been nickel and dimed down to nothing. Makes me very leery of using these types of care facilities. We went through this several years ago and looked at Parc, Carriage Inn, and ultimately chose Isle of Watercrest.

That said, my relative did not enjoy the Isle but that is mainly because she doesn't understand why she can't just live alone, drive, etc. She has Alzheimer's and is fairly healthy otherwise and it was offensive to her to be with "sick old people".

The Parc is a beautiful facility though. Langford hadn't been built when we were searching.
basketaggie
AG
We have a close family member at the Langford in assisted living. There was no buy in for AL, just independent.
jwj
How did they nickel and dime them? I thought the money was supposed to, in effect, be put in escrow?
jim james
JaneDoe02
AG
Lots and lots of hidden fees. Expected to get a check for $200k, got ~10k. This was a 10 yr resident though.

Just read the fine print and ask lots of questions.
Well, okay then
AG
TXAGBQ76 said:

My mom has been at Bluebonnet Place for a year. It is older but well maintained. It is smaller, so lots of personal care. Good management and very caring staff.
My MIL has been there several years now. I agree with all these points. Recommended.
src94
AG
skeetboy3 said:

Grandmother just moved into Carriage Inn. So far, we are happy--too soon to give you more than initial impressions.
Any new thoughts? I'm looking at having to do this for my mom, so any further comments about this facility and others are greatly appreciated.
src94
TX AG 88
AG
Have looked into this as well. Mom is still living on her own at home. Liked the Langford best out of the ones she visited, but the $300k buy-in was daunting. She can afford it, but on top of any "nickel and dime" depletion of the fund, there is the prospect (however remote) that the place goes bankrupt and you are just a creditor at that point, standing in line for cents on your dollars. This HAS happened to retirement facilities in Texas in the last few years (I'm told by someone in the business of knowing), so it's not completely far-fetched.
oklaunion
JaneDoe02 said:

Lots and lots of hidden fees. Expected to get a check for $200k, got ~10k. This was a 10 yr resident though.

200k isn't nickel and dime. Were you the one handling the refund or dependent upon another relative. That just doesn't sound right. Arbor Oaks if pretty up front on what they charge.
JaneDoe02
AG
It wasn't me personally. But I've talked to a lot of people about almost every facility in BCS over the last several years. Good luck with your search. COVID has certainly made senior care more interesting.
EBrazosAg
AG
If you are doing a buy in your likely getting duped. Look at the average # of years in assisted or nursing home till death. The properties know the numbers and prey off the optimism of residents.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
75AG
AG
Actually MRC spells out exactly what you're paying for and what you will receive when your loved one leaves the facility. That said, MRC is very adept at reviewing your loved one's financial resources before approving someone to move into their facility (buy-in + monthly rent). If the financial means aren't there, they likely won't give approval. As I said earlier, it's at minimum a guaranteed 10% loss; however, the knowledge that if they need a higher level of care, the price only increases a moderate amount and they cannot outlive their financial resources. That peace of mind is worth 10%.
EBrazosAg
AG
At the end of the day, their actuarial and salesperson know the numbers better than the purchasing folks....
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
75AG
AG
EBrazosAg said:

At the end of the day, their actuarial and salesperson know the numbers better than the purchasing folks....
That's what I said. Don't have the $$, you don't get in.
Old Ag 74
AG
JaneDoe02 said:

Better call Saul...
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.