1860 Italia

23,411 Views | 99 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by UhOhNoAgTag
Vinewood_03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I have a fundamental issue with a high end restaurant being on an end cap in a strip center.
australopithecus robustus
Vinewood_03 said:

I have a fundamental issue with a high end restaurant being on an end cap in a strip center.

I've seen this said before and I find it silly. There are LOTS AND LOTS of nice restaurants in centers and retail clusters in big cities. This is small town thinking, all due respect.
EBrazosAg
AG
Agreed. Can't tell you how many great neighborhood joints are in similar places in Houston or Dallas. No reason for it to make a hill of beans difference. But the Olive Garden has a great pad location for those who are strip center snobs
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TexAg1987
EBrazosAg said:

Agreed. Can't tell you how many great neighborhood joints are in similar places in Houston or Dallas. No reason for it to make a hill of beans difference. But the Olive Garden has a great pad location for those who are strip center snobs
The Republic started in an essentially empty strip center.
EBrazosAg
AG
That spot was Jackie Sherrills steakhouse back in the 80s I think. I couldn't afford steak back then so I'm not certain.....
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Vinewood_03
All do respect, if I wanted to eat in high end restaurants in strip centers on a consistent basis then I would move. No different than me not wanting to sit in traffic for an hour to drive 4 miles. Call it small town thinking but it's probably that quality that endeared you to moving here.....
I was never endeared to move here. My parents moved me here when I was 9. I'm actually very pro commerce and growth for this town so I like more traffic if you can believe that.

I respect your opinion but disagree with it. Another component is the perception that 1860 is upscale. It's not really that upscale. Then again, I'm using a nationwide standard for that analysis.
EliteElectric
We went a few weeks ago, I wouldn't necessarily describe it as "upscale" I went in flip flops and hawaiian shorts, but then I've been to Spago in flips and shorts so don't use my examples lol.

I'm a little different/new school, I don't really take dinning super serious. I'll go just about anywhere totally casual.
AggieBaseball06
AG
Vinewood_03 said:

All do respect, if I wanted to eat in high end restaurants in strip centers on a consistent basis then I would move. No different than me not wanting to sit in traffic for an hour to drive 4 miles. Call it small town thinking but it's probably that quality that endeared you to moving here.....

Imagine being so pretentious that "Is the building freestanding or a part of a bigger building" is one of the major deciding factors in where someone eats.
halibut sinclair
Vinewood_03 said:

All do respect,

*due
johnnyblaze36
AG
I was at the Angry Elephant the other day and overheard the guy sitting two seats down telling the bartender about "It's the second best steak in town". Obviously my ears perked up wanting to know where he was talking about and he said 1860 Italia.

Can anybody attest to this sentiment?
TxSquarebody
Not sure where it ranks, but it is very good!
Aggie
AG
johnnyblaze36 said:

I was at the Angry Elephant the other day and overheard the guy sitting two seats down telling the bartender about "It's the second best steak in town". Obviously my ears perked up wanting to know where he was talking about and he said 1860 Italia.

Their bone in rib-eye is .. I'll admit.. pretty damn good.
It's upscale steakhouse quality
Tailgate88
AG
EliteElectric said:

We went a few weeks ago, I wouldn't necessarily describe it as "upscale" I went in flip flops and hawaiian shorts, but then I've been to Spago in flips and shorts so don't use my examples lol.

I'm a little different/new school, I don't really take dinning super serious. I'll go just about anywhere totally casual.

What are "Hawaiian shorts?"
legalbird
Like my food quality to be higher versus a high rent district
halibut sinclair
Tailgate88 said:

EliteElectric said:

What are "Hawaiian shorts?"
EliteElectric
Hahaha mine are a little more baggy like these but blue

TAMC11
AG
As of this past weekend, we've now been three times. I cannot say enough good things about the quality of the food. The appetizers, steak, and desserts are all fantastic.

I'm curious though if others have experienced slow bar service. Every time I've been, it has been painfully slow, whether we've sat at the bar or at a table. In fact, when we've sat at the bar, just waiting for the bartender to take our drink order has taken a while. If it's just me, I'll chalk it up to bad luck every time, but it has seriously detracted from an otherwise good experience.
kevmiller
Does this place have a bar area to eat at?

Wife and I always prefer the bar area...however when I Goto make a reservation on their website it does not offer any bar area seating.
FNG
EliteElectric said:

Hahaha mine are a little more baggy like these but blue

We called those Jams back in the day!
lockett93
AG
kevmiller said:

Does this place have a bar area to eat at?

Wife and I always prefer the bar area...however when I Goto make a reservation on their website it does not offer any bar area seating.

They have a bar and bar seating
TXAGBQ76
AG
So substance over quality, got it!
VAXMaster
AG
For me the noise level was the deal breaker. A place where you have to yell across the table isn't my preference.
Section327Ag said:

For me the noise level was the deal breaker. A place where you have to yell across the table isn't my preference.

For me it's the exact opposite. I love the boisterous, big city feel to the place. We go out to have fun and enjoy good times. It's an adult party in there which the town needs more of....
EBrazosAg
AG
Second visit.
Service - 2.5/5. Poorly paced and spread out entrees.
Food - 3/5 Lobster Carbonara really good. Appetizers pedestrian.
Atmosphere 3/5. You have to like loud for sure.
Not on my high list yet for sure.
CS78
Finally made it by. Food was really good. Price a touch high but worth it for the quality. Service was good. I remember telling my wife that I bet the waiters cussed the first time they saw the tiny water glasses.

The atmosphere is definitely big city hipster with a touch of smug. When we get away from the kids we like to actually be able to talk to each other. Its LOUD! Modern decoration with lots of square flat surfaces for noise to echo off of. It's no buca de ***ochini.
Wicked Good Ag
australopithecus robustus said:

Section327Ag said:

For me it's the exact opposite. I love the boisterous, big city feel to the place. We go out to have fun and enjoy good times. It's an adult party in there which the town needs more of....
Problem is it isnt a sports bar. It serves as an above to fine dining option in town. I dont want loud in that type of setting.
Aggie
AG
Aggie said:

johnnyblaze36 said:

Their bone in rib-eye is .. I'll admit.. pretty damn good.
It's upscale steakhouse quality

Gonna change my opinion on this for now.
2nd trip to 1860 and bone in ribeye did not repeat .. 2nd trip received not very good cut, served luke warm, pretty much tasted like it was cooked night before and reheated in microwave.
It was awful
retiredintx
AG
Went last night, early reservation... excellent veal, crab cake was enough to split for appetizer, and chopped salad was awesome.

Left at 640 and hostess was turning pp away with "2 hr wait" Reservations suggested

Definitely going back.
BANA89
AG
Ok experience, food that we ordered was just decent and though they had some unique options, this first time we wanted to try the basic Italian options (spaghetti and meatball, lasagna and such). They were merely OK, overpriced for what it was. And yes, both crowded seating and way louder than I prefer in a nice restaurant. We will likely try it again maybe trying to avoid a crowd time to see if you can hold a conversation. Not a great place for a family outing and not the ambiance due to crowded tables and the noice level for even an average date night with my wife. I think they missed what they were trying to go for to be honest.
BANA Class of '86/'89 - Living in Aggieland!
UhOhNoAgTag
Spaghetti and meatball (one big one) tastes like the ready to eat meal from HEB.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.