1860 Italia

17,106 Views | 97 Replies | Last: 7 days ago by Aggie
2007fightintexasaggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We went on Saturday evening around 5:30pm. We were immediately informed they were reservation only but the high-top tables around the bar and seats at the bar itself were open to walk-ins. About 15-20 minutes later, all of those high-top tables were full.

They're definitely still ramping up but experience and food quality/portions were great. I don't really understand the price complaints since Olive Garden is generally about the same price and a quarter of the quality (can't speak to the brunch menu). We'll definitely be back - great addition to South CS!
halibut sinclair
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone have a menu for this place? We'd give it a try, but it's way down there in north Houston. Probably stick with Caffe Capri or Amico Nave. Not a fan of Paolo's.
jja79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It's what? 20 minutes from the north side of Bryan to the south side of CS?
halibut sinclair
How long do you want to ignore this user?
jja79 said:

It's what? 20 minutes from the north side of Bryan to the south side of CS?
Just a little good-natured ribbing for the south CS'ers who always say they'd like to try so-and-so place in Bryan but it's sooooooooooooo far away and they wish they'd move or open a second location on Fitch or somewhere out there.
theNetSmith
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
$26 for cabonara? is it served with a nice cabonet?
lost my dog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
halibut sinclair said:

jja79 said:

It's what? 20 minutes from the north side of Bryan to the south side of CS?
Just a little good-natured ribbing for the south CS'ers who always say they'd like to try so-and-so place in Bryan but it's sooooooooooooo far away and they wish they'd move or open a second location on Fitch or somewhere out there.
You're just lucky CS annexed this area before Welborn could build a wall to keep all of us Northerners out. Otherwise you'd never get in
trouble
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm just the messenger. I didn't even proofread it
Tumble Weed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We went last night. Best Italian in town, and it is priced high.

The veal was wonderful, but it is a huge portion. Took some home.

Will try the monster cake on the next go round.
australopithecus robustus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Went last night. Very, very good. Proves once again you get what you pay for. I have no issue with the pricing at all. After some discussion with mgmt, they are sourcing very high quality ingredients and it shows.
TXCityGirl
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ate here over the weekend - very good food.
But, do not go if you are concerned about sitting next to strangers. It was packed and there was no "distancing" happening between groups. I will go back on a week night instead or pick it up to go for now.
GiveEmHellBill
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TXCityGirl said:

Ate here over the weekend - very good food.
But, do not go if you are concerned about sitting next to strangers. It was packed and there was no "distancing" happening between groups. I will go back on a week night instead or pick it up to go for now.
75% capacity at restaurants means less distance between groups.
MiMi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Quote:


75% capacity at restaurants means less distance between groups.
Not necessarily. But compliance by many restaurants in this town is poor. From Open Texas Restaurant Checklist

Quote:

Groups maintain at least 6 feet of distance from other groups at all times, including while waiting to be seated in the restaurant. The 6 feet of distance between groups seated at different tables is not required if the restaurant provides engineering controls, such as a partition, between the tables.
A booth may be next to another booth as long as a partition is constructed between the booths, and that partition is at least 6 feet tall above ground level.
Tables should generally be at least 6 feet apart from any part of another table. However, a restaurant may have tables at least 4 feet apart from any part of another table, provided the restaurant uses a partition between the tables that is at least 6 feet tall and 6 feet wide.
scd88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Made a VD-eve reservation for 1860. I'm looking forward to the experience.
Txmoe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
scd88 said:

Made a VD-eve reservation for 1860. I'm looking forward to the experience.
Good luck with the VD; hope it doesn't ruin Valentine's for ya.
motherrunnersBCS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
VD is not what I would be concerned with catching - we went to pick up food and it was standing room only outside and in the doorway. People taking their masks off as soon as they entered and then just standing inside the entryway. We called and they brought food out to the car, no way was I willing to wade through that crowd to get a meal. The food is good and the portions are huge - two entrees and one dessert and one salad fed three of us. But I would not go in until B/CS has finished their usual wave of must try the new thing (guilty as well).
scd88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Txmoe said:

scd88 said:

Made a VD-eve reservation for 1860. I'm looking forward to the experience.
Good luck with the VD; hope it doesn't ruin Valentine's for ya.


May your relationships and Feb 14th be disease free.
chloelee
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Paulo's still has my business. Went to dinner last night - here is my take for what it is worth....

No table bread - $4 for a piece of pizza dough that has a drop of olive oil on it. Literally a slab of dough, not cut.

Water was scarce at the table.

No fresh grated cheese offered.

Food portion was good, standard Italian flavors.

Chocolate cake was good. Coffee was cold.
Monywolf
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Never had a good meal at Paolo's.
spike427
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I messaged them this week, also requesting a takeout menu, and they replied with a phone number. I hate talking on the phone, so their food will remain a mystery to me.
aggiepaintrain
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Had the Chicken Parm yesterday, it was ok.
The Chicken Parm at Napa Flats is far superior.
scd88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Had the pesto chicken pasta and my wife had some pasta with lobster. She liked hers and I really liked mine. Fun place - will be back.

I also like Luiggis and Amico Nave. I go to each for different reasons and dishes. This new place will be added to the rotation. I liked it a lot.
ag_03_aj
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We went as a bigger group a week ago and we all thought it was great! We had multiple orders of the bread as it was delicious and great with our meal and as an appetizer. Mozzarella sticks were great as well. Pizza was ordered by several and shared as they were huge and each loved what they ordered. My wife had the pepperoni pizza with spicy honey. She is a picky eater and said it was one of the best things she's had! I had the chicken parm and it was great as well. I am a bigger guy and only ate one of the two pieces. They had a busy night before we went and were out of most alcoholic beverages including beer which was disappointing but not a deal breaker for us. Staff was great as well. It was definitely a place we will visit again soon.
toolshed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We went to 1860 last night as well.

Bread was really good. At $4, I can see some complaining. We didn't balk at it, "free" stuff isn't free. They pass the costs along somewhere. We held ours to wait for the meal. Waitress asked if the bread was ok, and we told her yes, we were just saving it for the entrees. She offered to bring us new fresh bread with the entrees at no additional cost. That's a vote for them in my book!

We had the pepperoni arancini/ cheese ball dish as an appetizer. I probably wouldn't order it again. It was ok but not great.

I had the baked Ziti with chicken added. It was good. Wife had the lobster carbonara. It was very good! Both of us brought home half of the entree, enough for a second meal.

We also got the blueberry cheesecake. It was good, but I like Napa Flats cheesecake better.

Had water and mixed drinks. No issues with water refills, my wife had an empty glass once I think, but nothing we had to flag help for or wait too long for a refill.

It was a good meal, we will be back.



CharlieBrown17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
theNetSmith said:

$26 for cabonara? is it served with a nice cabonet?


Lobster " carbonara "
JR Ewing
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Have been twice...brunch on a Sunday, was not a good experience. It almost made me cancel my VD reservations with 3 other couples. Experience was bad due to what I'd chalk up to what I have to think was a waitress in training. She mixed our order with the table next to us. Mimosas with the Mrs. were not worth the cost, fresh squeezed or not. A male waiter came around later and worked hard to fix things, so that was a good development. For the cost of brunch, it wasn't worth it at all.

Second trip was VD with other couples. It was a much better experience in the evening. Drinks were very good, food was excellent, but I'm not sure I'll be back. For the prices being charged, you should get more than a side of potato wedges with a steak. How hard is it to add a potatoes au gratin or cheesy mac to a filet mignon? Sides are $8 when you're paying $41 for a steak? Add a side for the customer...

I would probably save my next VD experience for The Republic or Porter's again, like previous years.

While it is nice to have an Italian place in town, especially on the South Side, but not much better than Paolo's or Cafe Capri and much more expensive for dinner. And, I would rather eat at an Another Broken Egg or Hullabaloos for brunch for 1/3rd of the price and much better service.
Captn_Ag05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You're taking your VD elsewhere?
txxwildcard
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Best Italian restaurant in town hands down, prices were right on point with quality of food and the customer service was outstanding. We met Chef and co-owner Johnny Poche who began his career with Maggiano's Little Italy in 1998 and is now part of 1860 Italia. Try the smoked old fashioned next time and you won't be disappointed!!!
Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
txxwildcard said:

Best Italian restaurant in town hands down, prices were right on point with quality of food and the customer service was outstanding. We met Chef and co-owner Johnny Poche who began his career with Maggiano's Little Italy in 1998 and is now part of 1860 Italia. Try the smoked old fashioned next time and you won't be disappointed!!!


So as you're eating the co owner stops by your table and visits with you long enough for you to get his job title, first and last name , spelling of last name, previous work experience and what year he started as well

Yeah you don't sound like a friend or relative of his at all lol
Zone416
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Aggie said:

txxwildcard said:

Best Italian restaurant in town hands down, prices were right on point with quality of food and the customer service was outstanding. We met Chef and co-owner Johnny Poche who began his career with Maggiano's Little Italy in 1998 and is now part of 1860 Italia. Try the smoked old fashioned next time and you won't be disappointed!!!


So as you're eating the co owner stops by your table and visits with you long enough for you to get his job title, first and last name , spelling of last name, previous work experience and what year he started as well

Yeah you don't sound like a friend or relative of his at all lol
he is the face of the restaurant, and Johnny's background is known and publicized.
https://1860italia.com/our-restaurant-team

Had the brunch again yesterday, crab cakes benedict and lemon pancakes were fantastic
txxwildcard
How long do you want to ignore this user?
LMAOOOOO had never met him in my life, but now that we are here I'll tell you that we also met the other owner John H Slocum who is coach Slocum's son and he was also a true class act. You should try the restaurant, we love that it's also in SoCo! For the record, we've been there at least 6 times and have seen them make the rounds and visit with patrons.
johnnyblaze36
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ate there last week. The fried calimari and lobster carbonara were delicious. Place was packed at 6 pm on a Tuesday night. The only negative part of our experience is that we were seated at the table right next to the hostess stand and that was with a reservation. Thus every single time the door was opened cold wind would blow right on us and as someone else mentioned you can be seated literally a foot and a half from someone else you don't know.

Will definitely go back.
kevmiller
How long do you want to ignore this user?
txxwildcard said:

LMAOOOOO had never met him in my life, but now that we are here I'll tell you that we also met the other owner John H Slocum who is coach Slocum's son and he was also a true class act. You should try the restaurant, we love that it's also in SoCo! For the record, we've been there at least 6 times and have seen them make the rounds and visit with patrons.


Wait .. people actually call that part of CS... "SoCo???

Oh God!!
dr_boogs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I mean is "C Stat" any better?
trouble
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
dr_boogs said:

I mean is "C Stat" any better?


That also needs to go away
txxwildcard
How long do you want to ignore this user?
With a reality show already being filmed, The Real Housewives of SoCo!
Page 2 of 3
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.