Is Bryan DPS doing walk ins at all?

4,203 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Smeghead4761
Smeghead4761
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Does anyone know if the Bryan DPS office is doing walk ins at all right now?

My son passed his test at Austin Driving School, now has to go back to DPS to do the paperwork to actually turn his learner license into an actual license. The earliest available appointments they show (that I wouldn't have to pull him out of school part of the day for) are in March. And it's not much better for Brenham, Madisonville, etc.

Hearne has a slightly shorter timeline (Feb 24th), but one part of the DPS site says Hearne only does CDLs. So I'm confused.

Edit to add: I've seen people in line on Saturday mornings when I took him up there to practice parallel parking, and the website doesn't even say they're open on Saturdays. Which is what got me wondering.
MiMi
S
Yes. I got my daughter's learner's permit there recently. When I tried to book an appointment, the earliest was March. The Safeway instructor said to do a walk-in but get there during the end of the DPS lunch break (before 1pm). Only had to wait about 15 minutes.
02skiag
AG
You may want to keep checking for appointments. I did this and several openings eventually showed up for the next day through the following week.
Rexter
Hearne doesn't do class b/c/m driving tests do they show as CDL only. We went there for my kid's permit.
bloom
Try Giddings.
TXAGBQ76
AG
My brother works there. It is best to get an appointment. You can do a walk up, but they fill in when someone misses their appointment. You could wait 30 minutes or hours for a slot to,open.
Tailgate88
AG
02skiag said:

You may want to keep checking for appointments. I did this and several openings eventually showed up for the next day through the following week.

This. Keep checking.
Smeghead4761
Rexter said:

Hearne doesn't do class b/c/m driving tests do they show as CDL only. We went there for my kid's permit.
He already took and passed the road test at Austin driving school. This is just turning in the test results and other paperwork to get the license so he can drive on his own.

The other part of my question is, are they doing walk ins on Saturdays? As I said, we've gone up there on Saturday mornings to practice parallel parking and seen people waiting in line, but they don't offer appointments on Saturdays online.
AgSportsFan2007
AG
I was able to get a Saturday appt in December. Maybe they are just booked up on Saturday. Surely they haven't stopped taking Saturday appts, that would be incredibly inefficient.
double b
AG
AgSportsFan2007 said:

I was able to get a Saturday appt in December. Maybe they are just booked up on Saturday. Surely they haven't stopped taking Saturday appts, that would be incredibly inefficient.

The Saturday appointments were eliminated due to the large number of no-shows they were experiencing.
AgSportsFan2007
AG
Wow! That stinks for everyone involved.
TXAGBQ76
AG
Yep, that was all overtime work. Only ~25% or less showed for their appointments.
Gone Camping
AG
Try the Caldwell office. Super small office. Customer service was off the charts good when we took my oldest son for his license last year. Never had folks at the driver's license office be as helpful as Caldwell!
Second son is going there Friday for his permit. We did schedule this appt.
Smeghead4761
TXAGBQ76 said:

Yep, that was all overtime work. Only ~25% or less showed for their appointments.

Dang. Wish they were still doing it. I'd just show up at 8 am or 15-20 before whatever time they opened.

Even Caldwell doesn't have any appointments earlier than Feb 24th. At least I'm off work that day, and Wednesday's are short days at school.
Rex Racer
AG
Try Bellville. It's only 17 miles south of Brenham on Texas 36.
Smeghead4761
I just took an appointment in Caldwell.

Just taking this as lessons learned for Thing #2, who just turned 15.
FlyRod
Went today in the morning. There were 3 ahead of me in the appointment line, and maybe 10 in the walk in line. I was in and out in about 20 minutes.
jja79
AG
In Bryan?
FlyRod
Yes. I should add that I made an appt. online and was able to get a next day time slot. There were a lot available.

Also, perhaps shockingly, the staff were friendly and pleasant.

FWIW I hear M, W, and F are their "busy" days.
techno-ag
AG
FlyRod said:

Went today in the morning. There were 3 ahead of me in the appointment line, and maybe 10 in the walk in line. I was in and out in about 20 minutes.
Probably depends somewhat on what the appointment was for. OP's new license may be a different ball of wax than a renewal.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
Smeghead4761
Flyrod, that may well be true. We're unfortunately somewhat limited on what days we can go, unless I want to pull him out of school or wait for spring break or summer vacation. So Wednesday afternoon (BISD short day) is about it, unless they're open Saturday.

And of course, all 4 of my kids birthdays fall between January and March, so they'll all hit 16 during the school year.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.