Possible slab leak (BCS)

1,860 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by maddiedou
Thisguy1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Noticed some soft ground on a corner of my house next to the slab. Guessing I've got a leak somewhere. Any suggestions on what to do/who to call?

I dug up around there but that didn't really help anything.
aggiepaintrain
AG
american leak detection

then a plumber if they find anything
FJB
Thisguy1
Would the cost be more going with two separate companies? I only ask because my first google search had Action plumbing for leak detection so I just assumed have them do it all. American Leak looks a little more specialized though so not saying that's a bad idea, just curious.

I did their meter test and nothing changed on the meter, which according to them means it isn't in the pressurized system.
rc_cat
Is your leak anywhere near where the water line comes into the house? We've had issues with the pipe breaking just before it came into the house and the ground around/under the slab was saturated.
Thisguy1
No. Actually completely diagonal from the water main.
Nosmo
AG
https://www.toolexperts.com/trace-a-leak-septic-dye-test-tablets-for-water-flow.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiA3Y-ABhCnARIsAKYDH7tZjsYu4vc8k_WySg1MA7ep74P1uhTgS5OAtD80hA62YS0di1r7U9oaAkXeEALw_wcB

If you now think the leak is waste water side, you might try some type of "dye" down a sink drain or toilet. I have no experience with the link posted above to some tablets, but I have used other type of powder dyes to locate low pressure leaks, such as drain type piping.

We had a fluorescent system but that's more expensive.

Sometimes the cheap stuff works and sometimes it doesn't.
EliteElectric
Could it be a sprinkler head?
Thisguy1
No irrigation system
AnchorFoundation
Thisguy1 said:

No irrigation system

Not supply side and no irrigation.

Is there anything related to surface drainage? (i.e 4.5" of snow melting off)

If not, most likely it's in the drain lines. Is this area close to clean out, bathrooms, laundry or kitchen?

Recommendations for plumbers included in article below:

https://anchorfoundationrepair.net/blog/best-bryan-college-station-plumbers-under-slab-plumbing/
Thisguy1
It's in the same corner of the kitchen, and we were thinking that's where the culprit was. I dug the soft spot up to the bottom of the foundation and once that area somewhat dried up we ran some water for a while and didn't notice anything, but not sure we would.

I don't think it's related to the snow. I actually noticed it the day we had all the snow on the ground because of how soft it was (it's right by our gate so I stepped on it). That side is the south side of the house so there wasn't even snow on the ground there up next to the house.
legalbird
The ground is still super soft due to the big rain and snow. Wait a few more days to see if it dries up. Do your neighbors have irrigation? If so, do they run it each day. They could have a sprinkler head issue. Is you yard lower than neighbors? Is your wet area a low spot? Your fresh water line that goes to your house, is it near the wet area?
Don't have to answer, but think about all these cases.
Thisguy1
Pretty much no to all of those questions. This is an area that was maybe 2'x2' coming off the foundation and the ground around it was hard. I work in turf, so I'm somewhat familiar with detecting a leak. Felt like a firm waterbed. The foundation even got a white line above the grass just in this area.
legalbird
One more idea. Go to your water meter and make sure no water is flowing. Needle should be at zero and stay there. If at zero, that eliminates fresh water supply.
Thisguy1
Yeah I did that. Checked it about 40 minutes apart and it hadn't moved.
AnchorFoundation
Thisguy1 said:

It's in the same corner of the kitchen, and we were thinking that's where the culprit was. I dug the soft spot up to the bottom of the foundation and once that area somewhat dried up we ran some water for a while and didn't notice anything, but not sure we would.
You're on the right track.

A lot of times the issue doesn't reveal itself in flowing water, standing water, sewer order or some other overt sign.

If the kitchen drain is losing some percent of water each time you do dishes and run the sink it will keep the ground soggy and saturated. Then we have a rain (or in this case snow!) event and the ground is super saturated like a sponge and it can't absorb any more... Now you finally become aware of it, but can't replicate the findings to detect it on your own.

You can either test the system under pressure on your own to confirm/deny the presence of a leak or hire it out to locate and then put together steps to get it remedied.

If you determine there is a leak under the slab, I'll point you in the right direction to tunnel underneath so that the plumbers can repair.

maddiedou
AG
American leak. Has a two month wait from what I have heard

Holman plumbing can find leak and fix and I think alot cheaper than american leak

If you ever do have to call somebody
maddiedou
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.