Any Good Two-Steppin' Places in Brazos Valley?

4,019 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by australopithecus robustus
Three Twenties and A Ten
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
No idea if there are any good places left in the BV to two-step (Hurricane Harry's doesn't count). Surely nothing as good as the TXHOF was back in the day, but have been itchin' to get drink a few Shiners and shuffle across the dance floor with my better half!

Recs appreciated!!

australopithecus robustus
There's no dancing right now due to covid.
Prune Tracy
GSS
Prune Tracy said:

Western Club in Navasota
Great place, booking bands is currently on hold.

Plus the owner (Glenn Fuqua) passed away on Sunday, complications with Covid. Future of club unknown.
NRA Life
TSRA Life
halibut sinclair
Southerns?
Tumble Weed
GSS said:

Prune Tracy said:

Western Club in Navasota

Plus the owner (Glenn Fuqua) passed away on Sunday, complications with Covid. Future of club unknown.

I like the Western Club. I cannot imagine how difficult it is to stay in business in this crazy world.
Three Twenties and A Ten
AG
halibut sinclair said:

Southerns?

Haven't heard of this one. Where is it located?
Three Twenties and A Ten
AG
GSS said:

Prune Tracy said:

Western Club in Navasota

Sad to hear this. Saw they were building out RV space, which seemed like smart business decision. Hopeful they manage to stay open!
Three Twenties and A Ten
AG
Tumble Weed said:

GSS said:

Prune Tracy said:

Western Club in Navasota

I like the Western Club. I cannot imagine how difficult it is to stay in business in this crazy world.

Agreed!
halibut sinclair
Three Twenties and A Ten said:

halibut sinclair said:

Southerns?

Haven't heard of this one. Where is it located?
Post Oak Mall
cavscout96
AG

GSS said:

Prune Tracy said:

Western Club in Navasota

Sad to hear this. Saw they were building out RV space, which seemed like smart business decision. Hopeful they manage to stay open!
Man that sucks.

I'll have to through some business their way next time I'm down that way.
GSS
halibut sinclair said:

Southerns?
Southerns is a mini-Harry's, with a restaurant thrown in. Geared towards the "stand in front of the stage" concert crowd.
NRA Life
TSRA Life
halibut sinclair
[We have warned you that if you post in a manner that we don't allow on this forum that you were going to bet banned. -Staff]
cavscout96
AG
GSS said:

halibut sinclair said:

Southerns?
Southerns is a mini-Harry's, with a restaurant thrown in. Geared towards the "stand in front of the stage" concert crowd.
Carny89
We hit up southerns once a month. Nice place. They book comedy acts too.
I was serious when I said there's no dancing right now. If the TABC catches the bar doing it they could have their license pulled for 30 days.
cavscout96
AG
How does TABC have jurisdiction over dancing? They enforce laws related to alcohol.....
cavscout96 said:

How does TABC have jurisdiction over dancing? They enforce laws related to alcohol.....

BINGO!

If people aren't socially distanced or seated as in a restaurant then their permit can be suspended: this counts for dancing
FamousAgg
Texas Hall of Fame!
Post removed:
by user
SW AG80
AG
KorbinDallas said:

Texas Hall of Fame!
My wife and I had our first date there.
cavscout96
AG
Has this actually happened?

Is it in any sort of published guidance?
ratfacemcdougal
Sorry to hear about Glenn. He was a good and NICE guy. I did some work for him in the past.
milner79
KorbinDallas said:

Texas Hall of Fame!
Lakeview!
cavscout96 said:

Been this way quite a while and locally they run undercover stings with body cams.

https://open.texas.gov/uploads/files/organization/opentexas/OpenTexas-Checklist-Bars.pdf
theNetSmith
AG
australopithecus robustus said:

cavscout96 said:

Been this way quite a while and locally they run undercover stings with body cams.

https://open.texas.gov/uploads/files/organization/opentexas/OpenTexas-Checklist-Bars.pdf
from the link:

Quote:

As recommended by the bar and nightclub industry, keep dance floors closed. Activities that enable close human contact are discouraged.

theNetSmith said:

cavscout96 said:

from the link:

Quote:

As recommended by the bar and nightclub industry, keep dance floors closed. Activities that enable close human contact are discouraged.

Yes that's representative of their desperation to get back open in any way they could given the devastation they experienced. They're taking whatever they could get....
GSS
cavscout96 said:

GSS said:

Prune Tracy said:

Western Club in Navasota

Man that sucks.

I'll have to through some business their way next time I'm down that way.

The good news is the Western Club will be operated (after Covid), as before Glenn's passing, the RV park to be completed, the restaurant will reopen next Monday.
NRA Life
TSRA Life
555-PINF
Good news. I noticed a sign posted on the window when I passed by earlier, but was going too fast to catch the gist of it.
cavscout96
AG
theNetSmith said:

cavscout96 said:

from the link:

Quote:

my question is, how is this a TABC enforcement issue. just because its a bar does not mean TABC enforces fire code, or food sanitation. How is it that they have any sort of purview on social distancing.

Could they be fined? I'm sure, by the municipality, or county. Can TABC yank their license? Unlikely.
GSS
Part of the "we make arbitrary rules" was no service at the bar (walking up and ordering), which I suppose TABC could cite as an infraction, if observed. Not normally a TABC concern.
So dancin' is not much of a stretch, for a bureaucrat.
NRA Life
TSRA Life
cavscout96 said:

theNetSmith said:

cavscout96 said:

from the link:

Quote:

my question is, how is this a TABC enforcement issue. just because its a bar does not mean TABC enforces fire code, or food sanitation. How is it that they have any sort of purview on social distancing.

Could they be fined? I'm sure, by the municipality, or county. Can TABC yank their license? Unlikely.

With all due respect, the TABC can ABSOLUTELY yank Mixed Beverage permits for 30 days for infractions against that guidance. It's under Governor executive emergency order. There are many statewide cases of the TABC doing this.

Alternatively, TABC has a catch all infraction called "place and manner" which is tailored to give them teeth to write administrative cases on permittes basically up to the agents judgement. Under place and manner, they can't rip the permit off the wall, but they can ask for suspension or cancellation.

The general population seemingly is not privy to the scope of the alcoholic beverage code and the power TABC can wield, and why would they be? As someone associated with the industry, it's part of my job to know it and have awareness to TABC posture. Although they are less draconian than they were in the 80's-90's, they still have absolute control over the industry. What it boils down to is that a Mixed Beverage Permit is a privilege, not a right. So, one shouldn't apply the thinking that normal civil rights and due process are used for TABC violations. Like civil law, the alcoholic beverage code operates on a preponderance of the evidence rather than innocent until proven guilty.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.