City of Bryan Internet Survey

3,914 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by histag10
gibby03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If you haven't seen or done this go complete this survey about the City of Bryan providing internet services. Anything we can do to make Suddenlink get off their butts and be a legitimate company around here would help greatly.

Here's the link: http://www.bryantx.gov/broadband
EBrazosAg
AG
Not sure that getting the city to replace a city franchise holds a lot of promise. Maybe just make it easier for the Brazos WiFi and CEOs of the world to compete.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
boredatwork08
AG
Municipal broadband has been very successful where it's been started. Traditional ISPs have little incentive for improvement or providing good customer service when the vast majority of the market is captive. Just look at Suddenlink.

Chattanooga has their own which is highly rated by customers.
isitjustme
AG
City offered internet might indeed be better than suddenlink, but I'm not a big fan of public sector competing with or replacing private sector businesses. Plus, internet users are the biggest group of crybabies when service is interrupted. Why would any city want to subject themselves to that, because city-provided internet would go down at some point, it just happens.
Justin2010
AG
Give it another couple years and all the wireless providers will be offering home internet.
isitjustme
AG
Justin2010 said:

Give it another couple years and all the wireless providers will be offering home internet.
Some already offer unlimited data and the ability to use your phone as a hotspot. Maybe all. I guess people aren't ready for that. And wireless goes down sometimes also.
BrazosWifi
A city FTTH system makes sense 10 years ago.
Today, private players (5G, and others like ourselves) are going to make municipal broadband projects a giant money pit. It used to be like shooting fish in a barrel. Today, not so much.

When cable companies could only offer 25mbps, FTTH is a God-send. When the cable companies *CAN* offer 1gbps, then fiber networks are less worth their huge pricetag for the taxpayers.

Suddenlink's service (when working) isn't too bad. If they would fix their terrible customer service and quit playing games with pricing, there would be little incentive for a $100,000,000 (not exaggerating) project to overbuild them.

But, I guess, I will wait to see how this survey plays out. If the city doesn't do it, I will.
Fill out our survey so we can locate where to start first: http://www.ineedbetterinternet.com

Thanks
Jim
Sponsor Message: http://BrazosWiFi.com | Fast and reliable internet for the Brazos Valley | info@BrazosWiFi.com | 979-999-7000
gibby03
AG
Brazos Wifi, if you can get me service at my address I'll leave Suddenlink yesterday. But until then, any competition to Suddenlink, inside the city limits, is something I want, to force Suddenlink to change things. That's all.
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
I thought CEO was already laying fiber down in part(s) of Bryan?

Is that incorrect?
Same.
Please help us Obi-Wan. Your our only hope.
woodometer
AG
The broadband survey is flawed. They ask a bunch of preference questions comparing hypothetical speeds, companies and prices asking which one you would choose but never do any of the hypotheticals factor in data caps or the lack therof. This is a major factor.
EBrazosAg
AG
Of course the survey is flawed. Most are. They know the answer they want, so the survey ask the questions in a way - purposefully or not - to get the answers they desire.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
BrazosWifi
SPI-FlatsCatter 84 said:

I thought CEO was already laying fiber down in part(s) of Bryan?

Is that incorrect?

Edit: I need to look into this.
Sponsor Message: http://BrazosWiFi.com | Fast and reliable internet for the Brazos Valley | info@BrazosWiFi.com | 979-999-7000
BrazosWifi
gibby03 said:

Brazos Wifi, if you can get me service at my address I'll leave Suddenlink yesterday. But until then, any competition to Suddenlink inside the city limits is something I want to force Suddenlink to change things. That's all.

I hear this often but our survey has only gotten about 1700 responses from people in town. It doesn't *seem* like people really want it.
gibby03
AG
I understand what you're saying but I also believe that people are lazy and roll with the status quo a lot of times. If and when that day comes that you guys can offer a competitive service to directly compete with Suddenlink then you might see a difference. Not trying to call you out by any means, but I am sure there are tons of people who just pay their $30-$70 a month and as long as their internet works the majority of the time they don't care.
BrazosWifi
gibby03 said:

I am sure there are tons of people who just pay their $30-$70 a month and as long as their internet works the majority of the time they don't care.

This is reality.
People will stick with an inferior service to avoid a perceived (or real) hassle.
Generally consumer apathy is what keeps the incumbents in business.

We ran a Facebook campaign in November-December pushing our survey in front of eyeballs.

We had over 50,000 impressions and just 546 survey respondents. Quick math says 99% of the people that saw the ad and didn't care enough to submit the survey.

It is hard to build a business case for investing millions of dollars when you don't see evidence of demand.

I wish there WAS a good demand. I'd take out the $20M loan that is sitting on my desk and get to work. As it stands today, I'm not going into that kind of debt on a whim.
EliteElectric
Where can I find that survey? I'll gladly add a log to the pile.
BrazosWifi
http://www.ineedbetterinternet.com
ForteAg12
AG
I filled out the survey. I'd much rather go with BrazosWiFi than with Suddenlink.
Smeghead4761
I filled out the survey, but unless you're planning on laying fiber down FM 1179, it's pretty much moot.
nwspmp
BrazosWifi said:

gibby03 said:

I am sure there are tons of people who just pay their $30-$70 a month and as long as their internet works the majority of the time they don't care.

This is reality.
People will stick with an inferior service to avoid a perceived (or real) hassle.

We ran a Facebook campaign in November-December pushing our survey in front of eyeballs.

We had over 50,000 impressions and just 546 survey respondents. Quick math says 99% of the people that saw the ad and didn't care enough to submit the survey.

It is hard to build a business case for investing millions of dollars when you don't see evidence of demand.

I wish there WAS a good demand. I'd take out the $20M loan that is sitting on my desk and get to work. As it stands today, I'm not going into that kind of debt on a whim.
I'm fairly certain I've filled it out for myself, in town, but I seem to recall in the past, on here at least, that you've stated you had no intention of overlapping any Suddenlink coverage areas and that you were focusing on the edge of town and areas outside of the Suddenlink coverage zones. I would see that as depressing any responses from inside the city areas as not even worth the time.

8-12 months ago, I agree that at that time Suddenlink was not great but at least usable. I've since upgraded to their Gigabit service in an attempt to get within 25% of the advertised speed which I was not when I was on the 400Mbit service, and it's been a ****show in terms of reliability. Brand new modem (recommended type DOCSIS 3.1, 32x8, capable of up to 2GBit service), new wireless (even though most of my systems are hardwired), capable Palo Alto firewall and Juniper router, and barely get 90-120Mbit on a good day. Same hardware on my business fiber connection is rock solid at full speed.

So, you'll definitely have a customer in me if you're in the area!
BrazosWifi
nwspmp said:

BrazosWifi said:

gibby03 said:

This is reality.

I'm fairly certain I've filled it out for myself, in town, but I seem to recall in the past, on here at least, that you've stated you had no intention of overlapping any Suddenlink coverage areas and that you were focusing on the edge of town and areas outside of the Suddenlink coverage zones. I would see that as depressing any responses from inside the city areas as not even worth the time.
We did have that position in the past but with Suddenlink making plans to overbuild our fiber areas, we are not holding ourselves back from competing in their footprint any longer.
BrazosWifi
Langenator said:

I filled out the survey, but unless you're planning on laying fiber down FM 1179, it's pretty much moot.
What part of 1179? We are working that direction.
TexAg1987
Now that you are in Greens Prairie Reserve, what are the chances that you will jump the road to Nantucket?
Smeghead4761
BrazosWifi said:

Langenator said:

Steep Hollow Circle, roughly a mile past the Wickson Valley water tower. Right now Frontier DSL is pretty much the only option, although I haven't checked on HughesNet.

My lot is in the "maybe, maybe not" fringe for wireless coverage, due to trees.
BrazosWifi
Langenator said:

BrazosWifi said:

Langenator said:

Steep Hollow Circle, roughly a mile past the Wickson Valley water tower. Right now Frontier DSL is pretty much the only option, although I haven't checked on HughesNet.

My lot is in the "maybe, maybe not" fringe for wireless coverage, due to trees.
We have fiber next door on Easterling. After we finish our tie-in to our cross-country fiber this month, we are going to resume in your area.
BrazosWifi
TexAg1987 said:

Now that you are in Greens Prairie Reserve, what are the chances that you will jump the road to Nantucket?
We plan to send out a mailer to gather interest. So far, only 12 people have filled out the survey in Nantucket.
TexAg1987
BrazosWifi said:

TexAg1987 said:

We plan to send out a mailer to gather interest. So far, only 12 people have filled out the survey in Nantucket.
I just posted your link on Nextdoor for the neighborhood. Maybe you will get some more hits.
Internet has been of and on for three days here.
Abbyag06
Exactly! The people outside the city limits have no access to decent internet. I have worked from home almost 12 years and internet is horrible. I would love for the city to lay fibre outside the limits so we have options.
BrazosWifi
Abbyag06 said:

Exactly! The people outside the city limits have no access to decent internet. I have worked from home almost 12 years and internet is horrible. I would love for the city to lay fibre outside the limits so we have options.
What parts? It depends on where you are, I might be able to point you in a direction to something decent.
gibby03
AG
Hey wanted to thank you real quick on the back and forth with the internet service. I truly despise Suddenlink at this point and am open to anything else out there that is legitimate for where I live in town. I hope you guys get to that point.

On another note, do you know anybody who, now or in the near future, has plans on moving into the Waller area? My in laws live there and their best option for internet is a Verizon hotspot because the Satellite internet (Wild Blue) they had years ago was awful. Just wondered if you knew anyone that way.

histag10
AG
Abbyag06 said:

I live outside city limits and my internet is WAY better than it was with suddenlink in town.
BrazosWifi
gibby03 said:

On another note, do you know anybody who, now or in the near future, has plans on moving into the Waller area? My in laws live there and their best option for internet is a Verizon hotspot because the Satellite internet (Wild Blue) they had years ago was awful. Just wondered if you knew anyone that way.
Rise Broadband may be worth looking at.
NextLink would be another.

Both are not "local" to the Waller area but that doesn't mean they can't have good service. Rise has finally gotten their network around here to a stable state and seem to be able to keep up with demand. NextLink is a new(ish) company that got some grant money and then used the grant as collateral for a huge expansion loan. I can't speak to the quality of their service but their marketing borders on lying.

If both say they can service that area, I would choose Rise.

Thanks for asking.
turfman80
AG
I'm surprised we havent had our COB pumper on here yet as to how this is great for the city of Bryan!
Yeah, well, sometimes nothing is a real cool hand
histag10
AG
We have Rise and have been happy with them. We have only lost internet for weather related issues, and that has only happened once or twice in the past year and a half and pretty much coincide with when yall went down for the same reasons.

Id still like to see yall this way though... if you get access to that new tower on 2776, let me know, we would be willing to switch over and could likely get line of sight to there.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.