COVID Rants and Raves

18,589 Views | 124 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Slocum on a mobile
Post removed:
by user
threecatcorner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Have you already seen this link? It's a state list of vaccination hubs: https://www.dshs.texas.gov/coronavirus/immunize/vaccine-hubs.aspx

The local one is St Jo: https://stjoseph.stlukeshealth.org/covidvaccine

That site has a form to fill out to get on a waiting list. It has a few conditions to select for it to figure out if you're in one of those early groups (1A, 1B) and asks which places you're willing to go (St Jo CS, Bryan, and 3 more of their locations in somewhat nearby areas; I think madisonville was one of them).

Also, just curious, it still said something like Brazos County Alternate Health Authority in that local presser. Is there a date at all for the non-alternate to come back?
Tumble Weed
Another rave.

I am sick so I call my doctor. Apparently he doesn't see sick people? Never heard of this before. They told me to go to the CHI place by Lowe's.

The staff was extremely professional. They had you wait in your car instead of the waiting room and then called you on your phone to come in.

Those nurses and doctors that see sick patients like me are badass.
dubi
AG
Tumble Weed said:

Another rave.

I am sick so I call my doctor. Apparently he doesn't see sick people? Never heard of this before. They told me to go to the CHI place by Lowe's.

The staff was extremely professional. They had you wait in your car instead of the waiting room and then called you on your phone to come in.

They are not seeing anyone with "covid like" symptoms in the regular office setting. Too big a risk to infect all the office staff hence the referral to a covid clinic with all the PPE supplies.
ontheedge
Sincere curiosity/question here. What is the point of the daily numbers thread at this point? I question accuracy of any of the numbers and have for quite some time.
KidDoc
AG
Tumble Weed said:

Another rave.

As Dubi said CHI currently has a policy that prohibits primary care from seeing potential COVID patients so we don't infect well patients or our staff since they are not giving us PPE and testing supplies at other sites.

It is very frustrating.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Tumble Weed
KidDoc said:

Tumble Weed said:

Another rave.

As Dubi said CHI currently has a policy that prohibits primary care from seeing potential COVID patients so we don't infect well patients or our staff since they are not giving us PPE and testing supplies at other sites.

It is very frustrating.

Honestly I was impressed with the procedures put in place from beginning to end. So much can be handled over the phone. I like waiting in my vehicle. It is much more sanitary.

The people that look in throats and swab noses, and did so for months without a vaccine, well that is true bravery. And then there is working in the hospital where the entire place is a Covid bomb.

I was tested for the flu and for Covid. The good news is that my flu test is negative!
EBrazosAg
AG
No one has the flu right now. At least almost no one. Which means even if you have a positive flu test it's more likely a false positive than a true positive.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Nosmo
AG
Welcome to socialized medicine and rationing.

It's free, but......
aggielawyer00
AG
Why is that? Does anyone else thing that's strange? Usually flu is so prevalent this time of year
threecatcorner
Maybe because people are wearing masks and washing their hands more than usual so flu germs aren't getting as much chance to be passed around as usual.
trouble
AG
And staying home if they are sick
Post removed:
by user
cavscout96
AG
Slocum on a mobile said:

BREAKING NEWS

Grimes, Washington., Austin, Burleson, Fayetteville counties have a plan to start vaccinations Jan 19.

https://www.kbtx.com/2021/01/15/regional-covid-19-vaccination-subhub-coming-to-brazos-valley-counties/

Crickets from the good ole boys in Braaazzuus County.

Awwww shucks. We're still trying to figure this out.

Edit to add:

A distribution operation is planned in the future at the Brazos Center in Bryan, but that plan is still in the works. A dry run is planned for Monday, January, 18- but this is not open to the public at this time. The county is also working on providing a phone number for residents to use if they have more questions, transportation to the Brazos Center, and a registration portal for residents to use to register online BUT those services are not in place at this time.

So, what you're saying is, smaller counties with far fewer resources have their $&! together, but we don't. Got it.

At this point, I'm wondering if the "dry run" is everybody in the "plan's" family and friends. Or, is it like a restaurant soft open and we'll see a Yelp review from old "Greg D."
KidDoc
AG
Slocum on a mobile said:

BREAKING NEWS

Grimes, Washington., Austin, Burleson, Fayette, and Lee counties have a plan to start vaccinations Jan 19.

https://www.kbtx.com/2021/01/15/regional-covid-19-vaccination-subhub-coming-to-brazos-valley-counties/

Crickets from the good ole boys in Braaazzuus County.

Awwww shucks. We're still trying to figure this out.

Edit to add:

A distribution operation is planned in the future at the Brazos Center in Bryan, but that plan is still in the works. A dry run is planned for Monday, January, 18- but this is not open to the public at this time. The county is also working on providing a phone number for residents to use if they have more questions, transportation to the Brazos Center, and a registration portal for residents to use to register online BUT those services are not in place at this time.

So, what you're saying is, smaller counties with far fewer resources have their $&! together, but we don't. Got it.

At this point, I'm wondering if the "dry run" is everybody in the "plan's" family and friends. Or, is it like a restaurant soft open and we'll see a Yelp review from old "Greg D."
Ugh this is dumb. We knew at least three months ago that a vaccine was coming soon.
Post removed:
by user
Born&Raised
Slocum on a mobile said:

We continue to drag behind other metros.

Yes, it's dumb that the brain trust in Brazos County waited until the vaccine hit the ground, and sat on shelves before then deciding, "Oh, crap, we don't have a plan."

The citizens should be mad as hell that this has gone on this long.

Sadly - though, I think it is safe to say... no one cares in this Town.

The 'insiders' got it first during the 'chaos' and now all of us who - for one reason or another didn't get the magic link...(as anyone seen how or why that link got sent out and THEN deleted - of course no explanation from St Joe's)

Are gonna have to wait months before we even get a call - while those on the inside get to enjoy months of happiness and ease - all because of corruption.

But frankly - In this county, everyone is scared straight.

Tow the line or get left behind - and those that bow the lowest get first feeding. Sad but true.

Obey The oligarchs of Brazos County - get your shot faster.

Don't - then don't cry when you get left behind.

But no one cares anymore - they just want their McDonald's and Netflix.
Bucketrunner
It does appear that those living near or in Traditions and participating in Mature Well had their injections before anyone else in 1B even knew they were available.
backinbcs
Wrong.
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
Bucketrunner said:

It does appear that those living near or in Traditions and participating in Mature Well had their injections before anyone else in 1B even knew they were available.

Do you have a link or any backup for that?

I meet that geographical "standard " but was told to check back later

Who should I call?
Bucketrunner said:

We neither live anywhere around Traditions, nor participate in the St. Joe's Mature Wellness location...but were told of their vaccine offerings last Saturday, made appointments for two (>65 y/o) for Thursday, made appointments for elderly relatives (88 and 93 y/o), also for Thursday.

Extremely well run operation, quick review of paperwork, six (or eight?) injection locations. Done in under 10 minutes (not including their requested 15 minute "hang around for any adverse reaction" timeframe).
NRA Life
TSRA Life
Goose83
AG
GSS said:

Bucketrunner said:

We neither live anywhere around Traditions, nor participate in the St. Joe's Mature Wellness location...but were told of their vaccine offerings last Saturday, made appointments for two (>65 y/o) for Thursday, made appointments for elderly relatives (88 and 93 y/o), also for Thursday.

Extremely well run operation, quick review of paperwork, six (or eight?) injection locations. Done in under 10 minutes (not including their requested 15 minute "hang around for any adverse reaction" timeframe).
What a bunch of garbage. I signed up on the generic waiting list (not the "insider" one) sometime before that, and I haven't heard a peep out of anyone.

There should be one computer signup list for everyone who qualifies, and every clinic in town should be wired into it. This notion that each clinic just randomly selects people who just "happen" to hear about it is beyond BS.

I could say more, but I'm not ready for the permanent banhammer (at least not yet).

Post removed:
by user
dubi
AG
Everyone who participates in Mature Wellness received the email and it specifically said only those who were in the 1b category could sign up. It was not restricted to rich folks who live in "Traditions" which you seen to believe.
Goose83
AG
dubi said:

Everyone who participates in Mature Wellness received the email and it specifically said only those who were in the 1b category could sign up. It was not restricted to rich folks who live in "Traditions" which you seen to believe.
That's not what I said at all - Look again. Another poster brought up the "rich people" angle

I was mad that I was one of many who signed up on the Covid vaccination waiting list, only to hear people (reportedly) jumping the line at the MatureWellness Center. Once they started the signup list, all vaccines given by all clinics from that point forward should have followed the order in which people signed up on the list. It's unfair to ask people to sign up and tell them to patiently wait their turn, only to hear reports of individual clinics issuing vaccines on their own with no regards as to who signed up and when.

And if that isn't the case, then some sort of clarification needs to be made (after all, we know this is a trying time for all involved). Just that those who signed up on the vaccination waiting list should have been given information as to their place on they list, and expected vaccination date. Otherwise, this reeks of the old "Some animals are more equal that others" bit (although in reality, it's probably much closer to "The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing").
cavscout96
AG
I think it's likely, mostly, your parenthetical, with a TINY bit of Animal Farm mixed in.
dubi
AG
Apologies for misunderstanding your rant.

Perhaps the serenity prayer would would be helpful in this situation.
jeffk
AG
Do what exactly happened at MatureWell? They sent out a link to their patients for vaccination registration and then other people showed up to "line-jump?"

Jason86
AG
jeffk said:

Do what exactly happened at MatureWell? They sent out a link to their patients for vaccination registration and then other people showed up to "line-jump?"
They sent out a link for patients, people signed up and have received vaccination. Goose61 is bringing the point up that individuals who did so got to receive vaccines right away while people who signed up for the St. Joseph's link are still waiting to be contacted, thus the "line jump".

The problem is that every vaccine site is administering vaccines based on their own "line" or "form" or randomly stopping people. No one means to "line jump" but we do not have the organization as a county to be able to make a singular line that each site can pull people from. At the end of the day, as many people need to get vaccinated as quickly as possible. The problem isn't "line jumpers" but a failing health system that can't seem to obtain vaccines or setup a functioning mass clinic.
jeffk
AG
Thanks for the explanation.

Yeah, the decentralized approach to rollout and administration *could* have been a great way to speed up the process and disperse vaccinations widely ... unfortunately we're getting the cluster**** aspect of decentralization in our county.

As an example, CVS has administered the vaccines at some of the care facilities... but they're understaffed and that's slowed down the scheduling and administration considerably.
Goose83
AG
dubi said:

Apologies for misunderstanding your rant.

Perhaps the serenity prayer would would be helpful in this situation.
No problem, and my apologies for being snappy in return.

Also, your advice as to the Serenity Prayer is a good one, as there just seems to be an overwhelming flood of things lately that none of have seem to have much control over. Thanks.
localag242
Sorry for the firestorm with question but how is state determining the distribution by county? A dartboard? From looking at map of vaccine availability what did Brazos county do or not do to get such lacking numbers of vaccine?
dubi
AG
Between Covid and Politics, I do not even turn on the news.
dubi
AG
Quote:

The problem isn't "line jumpers" but a failing health system that can't seem to obtain vaccines or setup a functioning mass clinic.
Bingo

The Health Department should have had signup that way there were not multiple different lines. Honestly i have recommended to my friends to signup on all the providers which is absolute insanity.
cavscout96
AG
Decentralized execution requires some semblance of centralized PLANNING.

This was my stock-in-trade for two decades.

The BCHD, and everyone else associated with the county coordination, has been one giant clister

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.