COVID Rants and Raves

18,598 Views | 124 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Slocum on a mobile
Post removed:
by user
AggieBarstool
How long do you want to ignore this user?
How about we don't, and instead, focus our efforts in how we may be of use to the community to get this this vaccine in people's arms?
cavscout96
AG
AggieBarstool said:

How about we don't, and instead, focus our efforts in how we may be of use to the community to this this vaccine in people's arms?
what "efforts" do you propose we focus on?

sitting around and waiting for the folks in to get their collective heads out?
Tumble Weed
So here is a rave.

A local bar in Bryan charged me $8 for the garnish and $2 for the alcohol. That is the way you stay a restaurant during this crazy phase, even when you don't sell food. Not naming the bar because Karen might be reading.
FlyRod
"We're still trying to figure out who is supposed to get the vaccine" is the phrase that stuck in my mind reading the latest story about the 4000 unused vaccines.
cavscout96
AG
Tumble Weed said:

So here is a rave.

A local bar in Bryan charged me $8 for the garnish and $2 for the alcohol. That is the way you stay a restaurant during this crazy phase, even when you don't sell food. Not naming the bar because Karen might be reading.
you mean a local "restaurant" in Bryan..... right?
cavscout96
AG
FlyRod said:

"We're still trying to figure out who is supposed to get the vaccine" is the phrase that stuck in my mind reading the latest story about the 4000 unused vaccines.
trust us... we're from the gov't....we're here to "help."
BQ_90
AG
AggieBarstool said:

How about we don't, and instead, focus our efforts in how we may be of use to the community to this this vaccine in people's arms?
I've already said turn it over to chick-fil-a; they'd have a drive thru set up and everyone vaccinated in an afternoon.

what do you propose to help?
cavscout96
AG
BQ_90 said:

AggieBarstool said:

I've already said turn it over to chick-fil-a; they'd have a drive thru set up and everyone vaccinated in an afternoon.

c'mon man. you can't have private industry using creative ideas to solve problems.... we have to run it through a bloated bureaucracy for a 75% less effective solution!

I mean we are paying all of these government employees to DO SOMETHING!

Save us, o great gov't, from the evil virus!
trouble
AG
Just checking in.

If y'all have questions like the ICU one earlier, just post them here and I'll see them.
cavscout96
AG
trouble said:

Just checking in.

If y'all have questions like the ICU one earlier, just post them here and I'll see them.

You rock BTW. Thanks for providing useful insight during this mess.

#COVIDRave
BQ_90
AG
cavscout96 said:

BQ_90 said:

AggieBarstool said:

c'mon man. you can't have private industry using creative ideas to solve problems.... we have to run it through a bloated bureaucracy for a 75% less effective solution!

Maybe the government can rent out cheap all the business they ran out of business and set up vaccination clinics in them
cavscout96
AG
BQ_90 said:

cavscout96 said:

BQ_90 said:

AggieBarstool said:

Maybe the government can rent out cheap all the business they ran out of business and set up vaccination clinics in them
Ouch, would be more funny if not true
TexAg1987
Tumble Weed said:

So here is a rave.

Time to order a double.
trouble
AG
I want everyone to be safe and informed. The chicken little routine turns people off and makes them downplay stuff when it gets worse.
ToxicAG
I am witnessing first hand the pressure that area hospitals are under due to COVID. My Mom was admitted late last week for a stroke at St Joe's. Overall care has been great but the nurses and doctors continually apologize for how long it has taken for tests get done etc. However, over the last two days we have noticed that more and more rooms in the stroke ward have been COVID patients and just received a call from my Dad that all stroke patients including my Mom are being moved to pre-Op rooms. Both of my parents are in their late 70s with underlying conditions and still can't get vaccinated despite being surrounded by COVID.
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
dubi
AG
Tumble Weed said:

So here is a rave.

Every bar in Houston does this.
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
FWIW

My parents in San Antonio went in to the urgent care place by Six Flags only because my mom cut her leg on a rock in her garden. They are in 70's. Classed 1B

After getting bandaged up, staff offered and administered the first of 2 doses of the Moderna vaccine. Made appt for Feb to get 2nd shot.

They were told to send their (elderly) friends
AG
Tumble Weed said:

So here is a rave.

Almost everybody in town is doing something similar. Or they'll have some pretzels or crackers that they charge you for but only give it to you if you ask for them.
EliteElectric
Slocum on a mobile said:

If only there were thousands of unused doses of Covid vaccine in local hospital's coolers waiting for first responders... I read an article about a healthcare provider in Houston where 20% of the staff refused the vaccine.
Saw the surgeon general on TV yesterday where he claimed vaccine apathy is bad in the healthcare industry. Paraphrase "as much as 30% in some regions are refusing the vaccine" and "let's face it, the average citizen is 150 times more likely to know someone who has tested positive and it's really been nothing than to know someone who got gravely ill or perished and that is feeding into the reluctance"

KidDoc
AG
DSHS sent this last night:

COVID-19 Vaccine Providers,

DSHS directs all COVID-19 vaccine providers to immediately administer all vaccine you have received no vaccine should be kept in reserve for second doses.
More vaccine will be shipped to you to cover second dose series.
Please vaccinate your healthcare workers, Texans aged 65+ and people with chronic medical conditions that place them at greater risk.

Thank you,
Texas Department of State Health Services
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
cavscout96
AG
KidDoc said:

DSHS directs all COVID-19 vaccine providers to immediately administer all vaccine you have received no vaccine should be kept in reserve for second doses.
Please vaccinate your healthcare workers, Texans aged 65+ and people with chronic medical conditions that place them at greater risk.

Thank you,
Seems like this should have come out a month ago.... Better late than never though.
KidDoc
AG
cavscout96 said:

KidDoc said:

Thank you,
Seems like this should have come out a month ago.... Better late than never though.
My understanding is that there were concerns about getting the supplies for the 2nd dose so they were essentially reserving you a dose once you got dose #1(i.e. sitting on a shelf). Due to the public outcry and optimism about the supply chain they changed their stance yesterday to try and get as many people a dose as fast as possible.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
cavscout96
AG
KidDoc said:

cavscout96 said:

KidDoc said:

Thank you,
My understanding is that there were concerns about getting the supplies for the 2nd dose so they were essentially reserving you a dose once you got dose #1(i.e. sitting on a shelf). Due to the public outcry and optimism about the supply chain they changed their stance yesterday to try and get as many people a dose as fast as possible.

I can, kinda, buy that.

I don't think it's too far-fetched to think that they just didn't have a well organized or communicated plan to begin with.

I am running out of "benefit of the doubt," when it comes to our government(s).

I dealt with bureaucracy for too long to not be skeptical with respect to their motivations / intentions / work -ethic, and I HATE it; I don't want to be a cynic, but... well, the patterns are evident and repetitious.
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
Born&Raised
Slocum on a mobile said:

I didn't get to listen to the presser earlier...

Will post my thoughts here in a bit.

So, it appears that the plan is to start vaccinating folks at the Brazos Center starting Monday.

5000 doses sent. 2500 administered.

Keep hearing "we'll get things ironed out". Sorry, but I for one have very little hope in this statement having seen this play out for a year...

I disagree that 5000 is "no" supply. 2500 doses seems like quite a bit that's currently being "sat on". Guy from St. Joe's admits confusion, they thought they were only supposed to do 1A.

Interesting comment by someone on the FB stream. Smith County (Tyler) has 5.05% of their 16+ population vaccinated. Brazos County is at 1.39%, and dead last in counties with 100k+ population. Way to go!

"If you're in 1A and haven't gotten it, be persistent."
Persistent where exactly, Dr. Sullivan?
"Be patient"... 211 system will be able to answer, but not yet...

So, my impression is, if you got the link off TexAgs and signed up, you are indeed lucky.

Dr. Rayburn seems to be thoroughly put out.

I have been sitting back and just watching these conversations for months and just have something to say...

At what point are we or anyone going to hold people accountable for what is obvious at this point.

People are skipping ahead in line and until everyone's friends and family are done - none of us are gonna sniff vaccine.

This has been corrupted so the powerful and rich in Brazos County - regardless pre-existing conditions - are getting it.

There is no other plausible explanation.

They have had 8 months to get this ready and sign people up to help with the vaccination process - and now they are like ... give us a break - someone else made this in record time.

This 'mess up' is clearly intentional to provide a cover story to allow people to slip in.

And now they think is the time to have a 'leader' coordinate it.

Please... it was all done on purpose - the Brazos County way. One of the most corrupt in the State.

trouble
AG
The biggest problem has been a lack of leadership at the health dept. From the way decisions were made, to how information was handled, and now the apparent lack of a plan with the vaccine rollout.

Best I can tell, the health dept didn't plan to vaccinate anyone themselves (not shocking given what a pain it is to get regular vaccines there) and didn't have any kind of guidance in place for systems that were requesting the vaccine.

The state has been saying to move to 1b but allowing local health depts (and rightly so) to wait if there have been issues getting their 1a vaccinated. Our local systems who had the vaccine aren't getting any guidance. They are giving it to 1b eligible people if they randomly happen to be available when a dose needs to be used so it isn't wasted but they don't seem to have had any plan to create a waiting list to capture those people.

Throughout this entire pandemic, I've thought the health dept was more incompetent than corrupt.
trouble
AG
Are people really skipping in line or slipping in though? Yes, a lot of people signed up when the link was posted here but are even a large fraction of those people ineligible to get it in phase 1b?
songstress
It's been very frustrating to see pictures posted on social media of young people who are not in the medical field getting vaccinated while I've been calling multiple places and trying to chase down a vaccine for my elderly parent who has many health conditions. I want to ask them how they got vaccinated just to give myself peace of mind that they are in the 1B group. I know it's none of my business, but still. My hope is that people are not jumping the line and truly have a condition which qualifies them to be vaccinated at this stage.

I will get vaccinated when it's my turn. I'd rather people more at risk than me be vaccinated first.
cavscout96
AG
Interesting perspective.

One of the local media elite was on the radio the other day laughing about how he and wife just happened to run into all their friends and neighbors last week while getting their shots.

cavscout96
AG
This is exactly where I am.

I want my 1B family member to get it. Then I'll get it when I get a chance simply because I am out into the public every day and it will reduce the rest of my gang's risk.

The low risk folks in my house can wait. Others need it more.
Born&Raised
It's the truth.

Other people got the gold pass and all the people with influence got their shots first and everyone else and their spouse will have to wait months.

This whole Brazos center crap is bread crumbs.

100 an hr? Yea right... for what a couple months... ?

And it'll be a free for all. And all the while people who didn't deserve it or need it ... got it back in January and got to enjoy life without a care while the rest of us just sit and take...
You'll hear of your friend getting it - or your cousin and you'll be like WTF how did you get it and they will just shrug and say... I dunno.

They have had 6 months to prep for this moment and then said... nope - I'm good.
That is bordering on criminal Negligence

And their ain't a damn thing anyone is gonna do about it.

I'm just saying the quiet part out loud.

How else can you explain all this mess...

I mean what would happen if someone got caught slipping is the hospital would just say - we do not want vaccine to go to waste

End of story. Ever since Mike Wright left KBTX & and Kelly Brown left the eagle - the press have become lapdogs around here.

Welcome to Moscow - Brazos County style

Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.