COVID VACCINE

176,057 Views | 1108 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Nosmo
trouble
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
cavscout96 said:

Thanks

I ask for two reasons.

1. Why the more severe reaction generally associated with dose 2

2. Why postpone 2nd doses when vaccine was on hand for 1st doses? (Acknowledging that the timeline can extend to 43 days, or ironically, almost "two weeks" beyond the typical 30 day period between doses.

Is 2 a function of getting the process going in more individuals vs. completing the process in a smaller number?

The stronger immune response is because your body now recognizes the spike protein in the vaccine as "bad".

Yes, it's all to do with the way the state has the allocation process set up. If you give fewer first doses, you receive fewer in the future. You'll also receive fewer second doses because you obviously didn't need that many first doses.

Getting a greater number of people on the way to fully vaccinated is part of the goal though. The first dose is showing great numbers. 65% efficacy in eliminating severe illness and hospitalization.
theNetSmith
AG
Got my first dose this evening at the Brazos Center. I was concerned when I arrived because there was a line outside probably 500' long, but it moved pretty darn quickly, gotta say.

Arrival time: 5:31pm (for 5:30 appt)
Departure time: 6:31pm

So I was there for 1 hour. 10 minutes of that was spent filling out the paperwork in the car and getting prepared to go inside.. that plus the obvious 15 minute wait post-shot means that it took about 35 minutes to get through the line, processed in and vaccinated. Not too bad, and I was very pleasantly surprised by how organized and efficient the whole process was at the Brazos Center.

Interesting side note: While waiting in queue at one point, I spoke to the woman in front of me, and she mentioned that she was from Houston and commuting to teach at a local school. I asked why she was getting vaccinated here instead of in Houston, and she said that it was much easier to get a vaccination appointment here. I told her and one of the hub workers that I was hearing about people going to Washington County because everything was so disorganized here and the hub worker said something along the lines of, "really? I think we have been doing great here."

So there's that.
trouble
AG
I think the people running the actual vaccination part of the hub are probably doing a great job. It's the behind the scenes stuff that's a problem.

But yes, there are issues everywhere. A friend who teaches in Houston drove to Huntsville yesterday for his first dose because he couldn't find anything closer.

Another friend from Williamson county got hers at the Brazos center yesterday morning because she hasn't been able to get a call back from anyone in Wilco.
cavscout96
AG
trouble said:

I think the people running the actual vaccination part of the hub are probably doing a great job. It's the behind the scenes stuff that's a problem.

But yes, there are issues everywhere. A friend who teaches in Houston drove to Huntsville yesterday for his first dose because he couldn't find anything closer.

Another friend from Williamson county got hers at the Brazos center yesterday morning because she hasn't been able to get a call back from anyone in Wilco.
The people on the ground can put in heroic efforts, but it doesn't help when they are hamstringed by very poor planning, resourcing, and communication.

My issue has never been with the folks DOING the work. It's always been with the lack of leadership and communication on near-constant display from multiple agencies / offices.
cavscout96
AG
Thanks all for the answers to my ?'s
meteorag06
AG
nought said:

#winning:

https://www.kbtx.com/2021/02/24/washington-county-vaccine-hub-to-receive-more-doses-schedules-second-dose/

Keep in mind scheduled to receive and actually receiving the are two different things. I hope they do get all they were promised.
althormoon
I got my 1st dose the first week the hub was open and there were several people talking about how they were from Houston or other counties and came to the BV hub because the process was so much easier/convenient and better run than their own counties. Just like so many Brazos Valley people do nothing but insult our hub then are complimentary of Washington County...the people from Houston and other counties had nothing but nice things to say about ours. The grass is always greener on the other side.
cavscout96
AG
althormoon said:

I got my 1st dose the first week the hub was open and there were several people talking about how they were from Houston or other counties and came to the BV hub because the process was so much easier/convenient and better run than their own counties. Just like so many Brazos Valley people do nothing but insult our hub then are complimentary of Washington County...the people from Houston and other counties had nothing but nice things to say about ours. The grass is always greener on the other side.

Not sure I've seen a single insult of the hub or the folks that are operating it.

Plenty to complain about regarding the lack of foresight, leadership, and communication from BC offices.
BQ_90
AG
sock alert
doubledog
In and out today in 25mins, (15 mins in the post waiting area). They have it down to an art at the Brazos center.

FlyRod
Just got 2nd dose cancellation email (originally for March 4). Sigh.
meteorag06
AG
FlyRod said:

When was your first dose? More than likely it's because they haven't given any 2nd doses yet and people got their first dose before you. So if they start 2nd doses next week they will go to the people before you. As long as your within the 43 days you're good. If the 2nd week in March is out of the 43 days then I'd find a phone number and call immediately.
75AG
AG
FlyRod said:

March 1st cancellation for my second dose.
BMo
March 3 cancellation. Will be out of town the next week.
MeKnowNot
75AG said:

FlyRod said:

March 1st cancellation for my second dose.
Ditto!
Goose83
AG
I think the cancellations are due to them having to push everyone back a week.

Therefore, anyone who was supposed to get their second shot this week, will now get it next week, and those supposed to be getting their second shot next week will move to the week after (and so on, and so on).
scd88
AG
How do you sign up for these vaccines? Every time I go to CVS or H-E-B for something like that the schedule says it's full.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
https://www.st-joseph.org/covidvaccine

I signed up a while back. Got my first shot this morning at the Brazos Center
FlyRod
March 4 2nd dose rescheduled for March 5. I think I literally got the very last slot available.
75AG
AG
March 1st to March 3rd
Counterpoint
AG
Those aren't terrible reschedules.
tb9665
Try Sams Club.
scd88
AG
Sweet Kitten Feet said:

https://www.st-joseph.org/covidvaccine

I signed up a while back. Got my first shot this morning at the Brazos Center

I signed up on February 22, so I know it's still early to get a notification. I wonder how long it will take, though.
threecatcorner
On the rescheduled times where it says you're confirmed for whatever, is it correct that it should say 0 slots left and you only contact them if the time and date they give you don't work?
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
I signed up on Januray 29. Got my invite to pick an appt on 2/24.
BMo
March 3 to March 5, 2nd dose.
Retusaf94
I signed my wife up on February 5th. We got notification to schedule for 1st dose today. She is scheduled for Monday March 1.
AgProgrammer
AG
Signed up the wife and I on Tuesday afternoon at the Washington hub. Got a text message at 2:45AM last night with a link to schedule our appointment. We're getting our first shot on Tuesday. We've never heard anything back from our sign-up weeks ago to the Brazos Center hub.
scd88
AG
What's the Washington hub?
curry97
AG
My parents who live here in BCS got their second shot in Marlin this past Saturday. They got tired of waiting here locally.
basketaggie
AG
Signed up on St Jo's on Jan 4th for myself and the 17th of Jan for my husband. He got his invite on Wed, but he had signed up at the Washington County hub on Sunday, and had an appointment Wednesday morning. I was able to get mine elsewhere, but disappointed to have been one of the very first to sign up and still waiting.
AgProgrammer
AG
scd88 said:

Washington County Fairgrounds in Brenham. It's a major hub coordinated by the Texas Division of Emergency Management. They are doing something like 5,000 vaccines/day. https://localevent.info/
meteorag06
AG
AgProgrammer said:

scd88 said:

Washington County Fairgrounds in Brenham. It's a major hub coordinated by the Texas Division of Emergency Management. They are doing something like 5,000 vaccines/day. https://localevent.info/

Washington County is right at 3000/day, but they only operate 1/day a week because they only get 3000 doses per week. But that's not their max per day.

Either place has the ability got push much more per day but the doses aren't available is those quantities yet.

Brazos hub pushed over 7,000 this week.

Simply put the limiting factor at this point is the availability of doses, not how the hubs are run.
scd88
AG
Good information. Thanks, everyone.
cavscout96
AG
meteorag06 said:

AgProgrammer said:

scd88 said:

Washington County is right at 3000/day, but they only operate 1/day a week because they only get 3000 doses per week. But that's not their max per day.

Either place has the ability got push much more per day but the doses aren't available is those quantities yet.

Brazos hub pushed over 7,000 this week.

Simply put the limiting factor at this point is the availability of doses, not how the hubs are run.

None of what you just stated matters when folks who signed up 60 days ago in BC can't get an appointment.

The hub may work great, but getting a slot to get there is far from straightforwatd.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.