COVID VACCINE

176,095 Views | 1108 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Nosmo
motherrunnersBCS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
wouldnt it make more sense to have the drive through for the first dose?
BQ_90
AG
motherrunnersBCS said:

thought they had you wait around to make sure you don't have any bad reactions to the first dose?
trouble
AG
BQ_90 said:

motherrunnersBCS said:

thought they had you wait around to make sure you don't have any bad reactions to the first dose?
Yes, it's recommended that you wait 15 minutes after your first dose because life threatening reactions usually happen within that time frame.
meteorag06
AG
Quote:

Not past 43 days. Got the shot the day they opened the Brazos Center hub -- Feb. 1. Paperwork they provided says second dose must be given within a certain range. They put March 3 as the end of that range and re-scheduled the second dose past that after originally scheduling it for this week.

So you got your shot Feb 1st, is your reschedule is after March 16th? If you're not scheduled past 43 days I don't get the gripe. What am I missing? They haven't received any 2nd doses. How do you expect them to give you one?

nought
AG
BQ_90 said:

motherrunnersBCS said:

They do. Washington County's hub is a drive-through hub. It is run very efficiently. You do pull off and wait for the recommended time.
nought
AG
meteorag06 said:

So you got your shot Feb 1st, is your reschedule is after March 16th? If you're not scheduled past 43 days I don't get the gripe. What am I missing? They haven't received any 2nd doses. How do you expect them to give you one?

Thank you. That is reassuring. It is contrary to the guidelines they printed in the paperwork they gave me, which made it sound very important that the second dose be in-arm by the 3rd.

Most places are using the doses they have in-hand as second doses to keep from having to re-schedule people. I think that must be too complicated for the locals, as they apparently don't even have a plan in place yet for what to do with second doses when they do receive them.

It is frustrating to hear of open appointment slots for those 7000 doses though when I got pushed a week.
meteorag06
AG
I thought I had heard that the State sends does and labels them "1st doses" vs "2nd doses". They aren't just giving places vaccines and saying do what you want with them. If that is true, then I can see how they are a little hamstringed.

I'll look for the interview where I think they explained it that way. Also I remember them saying if they are given 3000 doses on Feb 1st, then they will get another 3000 doses for the second dose 3-5 weeks later. So even if they get 4000 on your week you were supposed to get your 2nd dose those are allotted for 1st round. Hope I remember correctly.
theNetSmith
AG
I got a surprise phone call this evening from someone at the vaccination call center, asking me if I would like to schedule an appointment for my first dose. Well, hell yes, I would like to schedule an appointment. Going at 5:30 tomorrow at the Brazos Center. Woohoo!
localag242
Washington Counties hub is awesome. Our useless hub register five weeks ago with confirmation and then 5 weeks later get email have to register again. Washington County register Saturday, get confirmation, get to schedule vaccine on Saturday and got vaccinated today.
TommyBrady
AG
Some people refuse to acknowledge that our local and county government officials suck and for the most part steal money from us for doing such a ****ty job.
OceanStateAg
AG
Received my email this evening to schedule my first does at the Brazos Center and set up an appointment for later this week.
Post removed:
by user
jrhmc
AG
labmansid said:

Well crap. Just got a text and voicemail from the Washington County hub regarding my second dose that was scheduled for next week. I was wondering if this was going to happen. I was also wondering if they would send a reminder or notice of some sort. The text included a link of which I captured a screenshot. Hopefully it won't be delayed too much.

Have you heard from the Subhub yet? We're scheduled for our second doses next week and I'm concerned about how long they will be behind.
trouble
AG
Currently standing in line at MatureWell.
labmansid
jrhmc said:

Have you heard from the Subhub yet? We're scheduled for our second doses next week and I'm concerned about how long they will be behind.
I have not heard back from them yet myself, but I saw where they should be rescheduling for next week. There was an update just posted on their Facebook page a few minutes ago, so it looks like it is a go for my second dose next week.

https://www.facebook.com/WashingtonCountyOEM

ETA: Since I posted this update, I did get a text and voicemail confirming my rescheduled second dose for Monday of next week. I will be glad to get this over and done!
trouble
AG
A lot busier today but still well run.
happyinBCS
I received my first shot and my second shot is scheduled for the 4th but I will be in fredericksburg could I get the second one early here or just try over there Any thoughts
Counterpoint
AG
happyinBCS said:

I received my first shot and my second shot is scheduled for the 4th but I will be in fredericksburg could I get the second one early here or just try over there Any thoughts

Don't do it early. A little late is much better than early in this case!
happyinBCS
ok thanks
cavscout96
AG
Jrhmc

Follow Washington County Emergency Management on Facebook.

They posted as detailed update on each 2nd dose situation earlier today.

My read was that only last week and this week were affected, but you might want to review it yourself

Everyone that is affected SHOULD be notified.

If you weren't notified, then you are likely not affwcted.
TwoTimeAg
AG
jrhmc said:

labmansid said:

Well crap. Just got a text and voicemail from the Washington County hub regarding my second dose that was scheduled for next week. I was wondering if this was going to happen. I was also wondering if they would send a reminder or notice of some sort. The text included a link of which I captured a screenshot. Hopefully it won't be delayed too much.

. I think your second shot is now going to be Monday, March 1st at the same time your first shot was scheduled.
labmansid
Yes, I edited my earlier post saying I did get a confirmation text and voicemail in the meantime. Thanks.
MaroonBloodedAg2010
I got my first shot at the Brazos Center on 1/28, with the 2nd shot supposed to be between 2/21 and 2/26. Had it scheduled for 2/25. With the freeze last week, they told me I would have to reschedule it for next week so they could get more 1st dose people in. They auto re-scheduled my 2nd shot for 3/4 at a time I couldn't be there, saying to email them if that time didn't work. I emailed them and got a response saying too bad, everything else all week was full, try again the next week.

At what point is getting the 2nd dose no longer as effective due to waiting too long in between? The Brazos County Hub is obviously not too concerned about making sure people get the 2nd dose in the recommended timeframe, and only trying to get as many first doses out as possible.
trouble
AG
CDC recs are within 43 days
FlyRod
Moderna announced its tweaking its boosters to address the new variant. Curious what that means for people scheduled to get dose 2 soon...
MiMi
S
Quote:

Moderna announced its tweaking its boosters to address the new variant. Curious what that means for people scheduled to get dose 2 soon...
Probably won't affect anyone getting their 2nd Moderna dose anytime soon. The new variant-specific booster is only about to be used in clinical trials at the NIH. It may be a few months or longer before the public sees a change. However, it could mean that fully vaccinated individuals that received the Moderna vaccine might be offered a 3rd dose if it is proven more effective against the variants?

Moderna to test booster shot that targets South African coronavirus variant
meteorag06
AG
Quote:

At what point is getting the 2nd dose no longer as effective due to waiting too long in between? The Brazos County Hub is obviously not too concerned about making sure people get the 2nd dose in the recommended timeframe, and only trying to get as many first doses out as possible.

43 days as trouble stated.

And I'm pretty sure if they had received 2nd doses from the state they would be giving those out this week. But they didn't so no second doses were given. Pretty simple. Saying these public servants don't care is a tad short sighted. But I don't think they could do right in a couple of posters eyes no matter what they did.
TommyBrady
AG
[This is not the board for that type of posting and you are banned for a week. -Staff]
cavscout96
AG
Dumb question

Is the second dose just another dose, identical to the first, or is it different ("stronger")?

trouble
AG
Exactly the same.

The state is sending them as "first dose" and "second dose". How much you get as second doses is dependent on how many first doses you give in the weeks prior.
nought
AG
#winning:

https://www.kbtx.com/2021/02/24/washington-county-vaccine-hub-to-receive-more-doses-schedules-second-dose/
75AG
AG
cavscout96 said:

Dumb question

Is the second dose just another dose, identical to the first, or is it different ("stronger")?

Same. Identical.
cavscout96
AG
Thanks

I ask for two reasons.

1. Why the more severe reaction generally associated with dose 2

2. Why postpone 2nd doses when vaccine was on hand for 1st doses? (Acknowledging that the timeline can extend to 43 days, or ironically, almost "two weeks" beyond the typical 30 day period between doses.

Is 2 a function of getting the process going in more individuals vs. completing the process in a smaller number?
Counterpoint
AG
cavscout96 said:

Thanks

I ask for two reasons.

1. Why the more severe reaction generally associated with dose 2

2. Why postpone 2nd doses when vaccine was on hand for 1st doses? (Acknowledging that the timeline can extend to 43 days, or ironically, almost "two weeks" beyond the typical 30 day period between doses.

Is 2 a function of getting the process going in more individuals vs. completing the process in a smaller number?

The answer to #1 is because your body is ready to respond quickly and powerfully when it sees the "invader" the second time, thus the (usually) much stronger reaction. After the first shot, it takes time to build a defense against it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.