COVID VACCINE

176,022 Views | 1108 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Nosmo
AggiePhil
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Had fatigue and aches for 48 hours after the first shot and 24 hours after the second. No big deal really.
trouble
AG
After the first moderna shot, I was just tired and had an incredibly sore arm.

I get my second next week and I'm not planning on trying to do anything the day after.
gunan01
AG
Hearing more great things about the vaccine clinic at the Brazos Center. So far it has been amazing!
bushytailed
AG
My mom received her first dose at the Brazos Center earlier and had a lot of good things to say about the volunteers.
techno-ag
AG
gunan01 said:

Hearing more great things about the vaccine clinic at the Brazos Center. So far it has been amazing!
Glad to hear this is working out.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
Counterpoint
AG
jeffk said:

Got second Pfizer shot yesterday and I feel pretty wiped out today. Chills, soreness, and lethargic. Very glad to have gotten it, but I wouldn't recommend having big plans for the day after shot #2.

How was the first one for you?
jeffk
AG
Just some soreness at the injection point. I'm feeling a lot better this afternoon, but I had a 101* fever this morning about 8 am.
Counterpoint
AG
jeffk said:

Just some soreness at the injection point. I'm feeling a lot better this afternoon, but I had a 101* fever this morning about 8 am.

Thanks! Glad you're feeling better. Was trying to guess how my wife's second one will go. Her first was just like you described. How many hours was it from the injection until major symptoms onset?
jeffk
AG
I got it around 3 pm yesterday and woke up with a fever about 6 am, but I could have had it longer as I didn't sleep very well. I got the Pfizer vaccine, which is supposed to be causing less side effects than Moderna, but maybe I'm just a wuss? Still sort of achy but I think my fever is gone for the most part.
Nosmo
AG
Texas Covid19 Dashboard

The state's communication seems to be evolving as the weeks progress. "Dashboard" historical data is being updated to account for data lag and I assume, accuracy.

They have also updated some of the definitions and added new spreadsheets. It's important to understand exactly what the "numbers" mean, especially on a county basis.

Allocation:

The state allocates doses over the weekend and post them on their "dashboard" charts Monday.
The county allocations are posted for the week on Mondays on their "dashboard" charts.

Shipped:

The state post shipments daily, but doesn't show a chart, so there is no history on the "dashboard".
There is no county shipped on the "dashboard".

Vaccinations:

IMO, this information is misleading, unless you understand the state's definitions.

"Doses Administered", is not dosed administered by the county. It is doses that have been administered to residents of Brazos county. If a person from Brazos county gets a shot in Brenham, or Houston, or Austin, Brazos county gets the count or "credit".

On the other hand, if a person from outside of Brazos county gets a shot in Brazos county, their county is credited with a vaccination.

The same thing goes for "People Vaccinated".

I haven't found a way to determine how many shots, and when they have actually been put into someone's arm by Brazos county, or any county.

Ultimately Brazos county will use it's "allocation", but there's no way to actually identify when. Also, being a large "hub" for surrounding counties will just amplify the gap.

This, along with data lag, has caused a lot of anger and confusion. The website says Brazos county has been allocated 16K doses, and only show 8K shots administered. People are calling around and everybody says they are "out of vaccine". How can that be, even considering distribution and data lag? The answer seems to be it's a combination of data lag, distribution timing, and no data on actual shots the county performed.

And if you look on the state website, Washington county data has the same problem. Through 7 weeks they were allocated 6,200 doses but only 2175 doses were credited to Washington county residents. They are averaging less than 500 shots a week, and last week (hub was open) was no different.

There are many counties in the state that have a lot more administered. Ft. Bend had 50K allocated and 70K administered through 7 weeks. Brazoria and Randall are similar.

Since this is rationing, supply will never meet demand. Ultimately, shots in the arms that need it most is the goal, but lack of communication is making a bad situation worse, and some of the blame is misguided.

Why do we have records for how many doses a county receives, but no data on shots performed? It makes sense to show how many residents of a county are vaccinated, but why not how may doses are used by a county? (rhetorical)

If someone knows how to do that, I would appreciate any insight. The state is posting new spreadsheets over time, so maybe one will show that information eventually.

PS: The total allocated, distributed (shipped), and shots performed are available on a state level. There is also data on vaccine doses distributed and shots in arms for the entire USA.
dubi
AG
The metrics are insane.

For the same shot the can gather the county for the person giving the shot and the county of the recipient of the shot.

They must be the same folks who designed the Brazos County Health Department dashboard.
Goose83
AG
jeffk said:

I got it around 3 pm yesterday and woke up with a fever about 6 am, but I could have had it longer as I didn't sleep very well. I got the Pfizer vaccine, which is supposed to be causing less side effects than Moderna, but maybe I'm just a wuss? Still sort of achy but I think my fever is gone for the most part.
Did you get it at the Brazos Center? My understanding was that they were only using the Moderna shot.

jeffk
AG
No, I didn't - I got mine at the ltcf where a family member resides.
kctemplin85
AG
Got my shot this morning. The operation at the Brazos Center was very efficient. I was told to go in early since there was no wait. Everyone is friendly and helpful. The planners and operators for the Brazos Center vaccine hub are to be commended.
75AG
AG
Just a reminder: once you get your initial vaccine, be sure and sign-up for the "v-safe" after vaccine health tracker. There is a QR code to scan on the documents you're provided.

You will get a daily text message to respond about any side effects and their severity - daily for the first week, weekly through 6 weeks, then monthly at 3, 6, and 12 months. Issues around missing work, unable to do normal activities, or needing medical assistance. A VAERS (vaccine adverse event reporting system) customer service person will conduct follow-up telephone interviews on clinically important events.
FlyRod
^Thanks for that advice. Getting my first jab tomorrow.
Vulcan
Just curious if anyone out there is getting a notice to schedule your appointment even though you aren't Phase 1a or 1b? There was a news report that there were vacant time slots, so I'm curious if they are casting a wider net and allowing non phase 1 people to come???
MiMi
S
Quote:

Just curious if anyone out there is getting a notice to schedule your appointment even though you aren't Phase 1a or 1b?
From the KBTX story:
"County vaccination partners say they have been resourceful in filling these openings. Officials stress vaccines aren't being wasted or given to people outside of eligible groups. Instead, the Red Cross vaccine team is reaching out to under-served communities and community leaders to get the vacancies filled with 1A and 1B residents."
TommyBrady
AG
I just got my email and so far I haven't had to prove that I have any of the 1B conditions I have. That might be a way people are getting it without actually being 1A or 1B
birdman
TommyBrady said:

I just got my email and so far I haven't had to prove that I have any of the 1B conditions I have. That might be a way people are getting it without actually being 1A or 1B
Same here. I have an appointment for next week. The confirmation email said you needed to bring work id or something similar for 1A folks.

I'm 1B category. It asked why you were 1B - age, illness, etc. I guess you could have fabricated a condition and got an appointment. I assume you'll need a doctor's note or something to verify, but they didn't mention it.
Born&Raised
birdman said:

TommyBrady said:

Same here. I have an appointment for next week. The confirmation email said you needed to bring work id or something similar for 1A folks.

I'm 1B category. It asked why you were 1B - age, illness, etc. I guess you could have fabricated a condition and got an appointment. I assume you'll need a doctor's note or something to verify, but they didn't mention it.

At first this kinda stuff threw but KBTX was reporting today how appointment slots were going unfilled and doses were ether give away randomly or thrown in trash.

At this point - just open the doors... clearly a lot of people ...25%?... do not want it or care, so why not just let people in.

The goal is to get shots in arms... just stick whoever wants it - frankly - at this point.
etj77845
I received the county (TAMU) bulk email to sign up for 1st vaccine. Only one slight problem, I was already enrolled in the St. Joe's system and scheduled for my 2nd shot. I did not see an option to opt out of the TAMU process. So I suppose I'm one of those 'no response' people listed by media.

Tells me there is no coordination/ cross checking of lists... HIPPA???

agnerd
AG
Got the email to sign up, but there are no times or dates available to sign up for in the drop down menu after selecting the Brazos Center. Did I do something wrong or is their website broken?
dubi
AG
agnerd said:

Got the email to sign up, but there are no times or dates available to sign up for in the drop down menu after selecting the Brazos Center. Did I do something wrong or is their website broken?
I think they need to add new dates and times into their system.

I have a work friend who had exactly same problem.
theNetSmith
AG
agnerd said:

I was just coming to post the same thing. Tried in both Chrome and Edge -- neither worked.
BMo
Returned a little while ago and it was crowded but the line moved pretty good. They may be booked until the next allocation. I registered in Firefox.
agnerd
AG
Got the following response about the website error:
Quote:

Unfortunately, it appears that there are no available appointments at this time. We recommend you check the registration site regularly for any new potential available appointments to appear in the appointment drop down list. Vaccination appointment times are limited due to the availability of the vaccines we have been provided by the state. We appreciate your patience.
TommyBrady
AG
They are sending out more emails than actual vaccinations because last week they were not fully booked due to no shows and no responses so it sounds like they are trying to figure out the right amount to send out.
Post removed:
by user
trouble
AG
Hell, they still don't know how to do #3. The Red Cross is the one actually running the Brazos center vaccination clinic.
FlyRod
Got jab at 1 pm. Very mildly tired most of day. Arm pain kicked in at night and still sucks this morning. No fever, chills, sweats. Flu shot was worse (arm sore for 4 days). Weird how like Covid, vaccine affects people so wildly different.

Also big shoutout to everyone working the hub!
KidDoc
AG
Was that dose #1?

I suspect it was. Dose #2 is a whole different reaction-- which is intended and natural.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
dubi
AG
trouble said:

Hell, they still don't know how to do #3. The Red Cross is the one actually running the Brazos center vaccination clinic.
I bet it isn't too late to ask the local Chic-fil-a manager to oversee the venue!
FlyRod
Quote:

Was that dose #1?

I suspect it was. Dose #2 is a whole different reaction-- which is intended and natural.

Yep. Fully aware of the misery of dose #2.
BQ_90
AG
trouble said:

Honestly that makes me feel a whole lot better. I don't want Sheriff Santa Fe or any of his posse handling this at all.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.