COVID VACCINE

175,955 Views | 1108 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Nosmo
trouble
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
cavscout96 said:

trouble said:

dubi said:

Old people Covid vaccine question:

86yo mom received her first vaccine last Monday. After she receives her 2nd dose, how long do we need to wait before going out to eat in a restaurant? She is eager!

2 weeks

Ugh.... Don't start THAT again.

Sorry but it's the actual answer.
theNetSmith
AG
good news! (for me, at least)

I'm sure many of you saw my back-and-forth on the "cases update" thread where I posted the link to the St. Joe's vaccination sign-up form and had to retract it b/c I didn't know at the time that it was only supposed to be seen by St. Joe's employees / families.

Well, in spite of (or as a result of) that fubar, my group 1B gf was put on a callback list and learned today (er, Wed) that she is now eligible to receive the vaccine from St. Joe's and should be getting it on Monday.

Still going to feel like we are in limbo afterwards.. I'm not a 1B, so I will have to wait until the vaccine is available to the general public (however many months away that may be).. so our collective attitude towards reintegration with the rest of the world won't/can't change.. not until we have sufficient evidence of the downstream efficacy of the vaccine.
cavscout96
AG
dubi said:

What is your answer?
I have no Idea. I read trouble's response as the ubiquitous.... "two more weeks from april/may/june, etc. offered tongue-in-cheek.... I gues it really IS the answer...
cavscout96
AG
theNetSmith said:

good news! (for me, at least)

I'm sure many of you saw my back-and-forth on the "cases update" thread where I posted the link to the St. Joe's vaccination sign-up form and had to retract it b/c I didn't know at the time that it was only supposed to be seen by St. Joe's employees / families.

Well, in spite of (or as a result of) that fubar, my group 1B gf was put on a callback list and learned today (er, Wed) that she is now eligible to receive the vaccine from St. Joe's and should be getting it on Monday.

Still going to feel like we are in limbo afterwards.. I'm not a 1B, so I will have to wait until the vaccine is available to the general public (however many months away that may be).. so our collective attitude towards reintegration with the rest of the world won't/can't change.. not until we have sufficient evidence of the downstream efficacy of the vaccine.
this is really good news. If the efficacy is really at 95%, then you should be able to rest much easier. Even if you happen to contract it, you have a much lesser chance of infecting her. All great news!

Bucketrunner
Is there anyplace in Brazos County to get on a 1B waiting list? We can't get any information from St. Joseph's or the pharmacies.
trouble
AG
I have not found anywhere
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
A schoolmate of mine who is confirmed 18 MONTHS with pulmonary fibrosis was denied in Dallas yesterday by his own PCP

Is there even any objective means of determination?
AG
SPI-FlatsCatter 84 said:

A schoolmate of mine who is confirmed 18 MONTHS with pulmonary fibrosis was denied in Dallas yesterday by his own PCP

He needs a new doctor asap!
KidDoc
AG
SPI-FlatsCatter 84 said:

Yup here is the list- although it does specify "such as, but not limited to".

https://www.dshs.texas.gov/coronavirus/immunize/vaccine/EVAP-Phase1B.pdf

I would get the vaccine ASAP for patients with pulmonary fibrosis.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
techno-ag
AG
dubi said:

Old people Covid vaccine question:

86yo mom received her first vaccine last Monday. After she receives her 2nd dose, how long do we need to wait before going out to eat in a restaurant? She is eager!
Everyone's ready for a return to something like normal. Get those vaccinations out.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
ChampsAg
Friend of mine's wife took the vaccine recently, works at S&W. She is pregnant and due in April and had to get permission from her OBGYN. They told her that they knew what happens if a pregnant woman gets Covid but there is no data on the vaccine being given to pregnant women. I was pretty surprised that they decided to do it.
Goose83
AG
Here's an article from The Eagle with more detail in regards to the County Commissioners' meeting a couple of days ago:

https://theeagle.com/news/local/commissioners-call-brazos-county-vaccination-progress-unacceptable-as-about-4-000-doses-remain-available/article_2635428a-4f9b-11eb-bc09-534bf4935922.html

Glad to see the Commissioners call out the "What Me Worry?" vibe given off by the Emergency Management people. And this whole "We'll get the vaccine to the general public by June or July" is beyond ridiculous, not only considering that the more virulent UK strain has now surfaced just a few miles down the road, but the fact that stimulus and unemployment benefits will have been exhausted long before then.

KidDoc
AG
Goose61 said:

Here's an article from The Eagle with more detail in regards to the County Commissioners' meeting a couple of days ago:

https://theeagle.com/news/local/commissioners-call-brazos-county-vaccination-progress-unacceptable-as-about-4-000-doses-remain-available/article_2635428a-4f9b-11eb-bc09-534bf4935922.html

Glad to see the Commissioners call out the "What Me Worry?" vibe given off by the Emergency Management people. And this whole "We'll get the vaccine to the general public by June or July" is beyond ridiculous, not only considering that the more virulent UK strain has now surfaced just a few miles down the road, but the fact that stimulus and unemployment benefits will have been exhausted long before then.

More contagious strain, less virulent.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
cavscout96
AG
KidDoc said:

Goose61 said:

KD...

this is typical of viral mutations, yes?

more contagious -> less severe (virulent).

AggiePhil
AG
Are they giving out the COVID vaccine stickers here? Everyone knows how important the stickers are.
nought
AG
At barely over 100 vaccinations per day, how many years is it going to take to vaccinate the over-16 population in this county?

Local officials should be raising you-know-what to get the providers moving along faster. A single location should be able to handle 100+ vaccinations a day, let alone multiple providers.
FlyRod
Quote:

Where did you read that it is less virulent (vs. no more virulent)?
theNetSmith
AG
did you see my PM, bucket?
Goose83
AG
KidDoc said:

Goose61 said:

Thanks for the correction.

That said, it's still concerning to those at high risk that an even more contagious strain (even if less virulent) is circulating out there in the community (especially at a time when some people are letting their guard down due to "Covid-fatigue").
Cancelled
AG
I've heard that it was less virulent. Rest assured that if it was more dangerous, you'd already know. The coronabros trade in fear.
KidDoc
AG
FlyRod said:

Quote:

Where did you read that it is less virulent (vs. no more virulent)?
All over the place.

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/coronavirus/a-new-strain-of-coronavirus-what-you-should-know

And yes this is very typical for viral mutations. The way natural selection works the more virulent a virus is the more likely it will burn itself out of existence.

Maximum contagiousness with minimal death are the most successful viruses (CMV, EBV, rhinovirus, etc)
backinbcs
I just looked at the Dallas Morning News site, and right now for Dallas, Tarrant, and Collin Counties at least, you can sign up for the vaccine ONLINE. 1A and 1B. They are planning a mass vaccine site in the near future.

Is that just too tough for Brazos County?
Bucketrunner
I just did! I do so appreciate the information.
cavscout96
AG
backinbcs said:

I just looked at the Dallas Morning News site, and right now for Dallas, Tarrant, and Collin Counties at least, you can sign up for the vaccine ONLINE. 1A and 1B. They are planning a mass vaccine site in the near future.

Is that just too tough for Brazos County?
apparently so...
ToxicAG
My brother works at Emory in Atlanta and just received his first dose of the Pfizer vaccine. He told me that Emory is using an old Sears auto care center for drive-through vaccinations. They have cars line up in the parking lot and drive in 3 deep at a time in multiple bays, open your door and get your shot. They then give you a piece of paper with the time, then you are directed to drive out to the parking lot and wait 15 minutes. He said that they are moving very quick.
BQ_90
AG
ToxicAG said:

My brother works at Emory in Atlanta and just received his first dose of the Pfizer vaccine. He told me that Emory is using an old Sears auto care center for drive-through vaccinations. They have cars line up in the parking lot and drive in 3 deep at a time in multiple bays, open your door and get your shot. They then give you a piece of paper with the time, then you are directed to drive out to the parking lot and wait 15 minutes. He said that they are moving very quick.
let the dump handle it. They can handle thousands of people dumping hazardous waste in efficient manner, they can handle this.

theNetSmith
AG
ToxicAG said:

Emory is using an old Sears auto care center for drive-through vaccinations... then you are directed to drive out to the parking lot and wait 15 minutes.
wait 15 minutes for what?
dubi
AG
theNetSmith said:

ToxicAG said:

Emory is using an old Sears auto care center for drive-through vaccinations... then you are directed to drive out to the parking lot and wait 15 minutes.
wait 15 minutes for what?
Must wait to see if you develop any side effects.
theNetSmith
AG
ahh.. that was the only thing that made sense to me.. should have known.

thanks!
backinbcs
ToxicAG said:

I think we have one of those here with plenty of parking all around it.
greentab81
AG
I have a lot of family in the Amarillo area who have been vaccinated. Amarillo used the closed civic center as their vaccine clinic and have vaccinated 12,000 people since Dec. 30th. They are out now and waiting for the next shipment. By using the empty center, they can again be up and running as soon as a new supply arrives. I sure wish someone would look into something like that here.
backinbcs
Makes too much sense.
trouble
AG
Just getting regular vaccines at our health department is enough of a pain.
coconuthead
Former Brazos County Chief Deputy to spearhead local COVID-19 vaccination administration plan

Retired Army Colonel Jim Stewart will lead the plan
Post removed:
by user

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.