Shutting down bars... again

12,570 Views | 81 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Capt. America
meinkee
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Windmill tilters: Peters does not respond to emails, calls or letters. I have personal experience.
TAMU1990
AG
deh40 said:

So they ship patients to Brazos County hospitals from South Texas, then tell the County you have exceeded the hospitalization rates and must close down bars and reduce restaurant capacity.

Did this happen?
Rapier108
TAMU1990 said:

deh40 said:

So they ship patients to Brazos County hospitals from South Texas, then tell the County you have exceeded the hospitalization rates and must close down bars and reduce restaurant capacity.

Did this happen?
They were shipping people from El Paso to B/CS for certain.

That was even in the news.
Tumble Weed
deh40 said:

I thought the same thing.
Stupe
S
EliteElectric said:

I don't expect my complaining to do anything of note, except to maybe raise the overall decibel level that politicos are hearing. If enough of us are groaning publicly it will give those with less courage to do so some safety in numbers.
For the first time in my life I think that if seen in public, these officials should be questioned by citizens. It needs to be polite and not screaming, but they need to be questioned face to face.

These knee jerk reactions and shut downs are devastating families.
Brian Alg
Justin2010 said:

I got this response from Peters.

"When I signed the order opening the bars, one of the conditions was that I agreed to rescind the request if the county went over 15% hospitalization for COVID for seven days which we have. Whether I rescind or not doesn't change the Governor's order for bars to be closed. It is for information only to bars. TABC has been informed by TSHC that Brazos County bars whose alcohol revenue is 51% must be closed per the Governor. I am not closing anything. When asked by the reporters I tried to make that clear knowing I would probably be blamed for something I have no control of."

I sent him this article and asked him to comment on it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.houstonpublicmedia.org/articles/news/health-science/coronavirus/2020/12/22/388378/galveston-county-refuses-to-enforce-stiffened-covid-restrictions/amp/
Does anyone know if Peters would face any official repercussions if he just dragged his feet to rescind for a week or year? I know he would catch hell from the Gov and TABC both in public and behind the scenes, but wondering if his hands are legally tied.
Brian Alg

Brazos Coalition for Responsible Government
Capt. America
AG
Is it a law? If not, I don't know what sort of legal repercussions he would have to face.
Ag_B_10
AG
Rapier108 said:

TAMU1990 said:

deh40 said:

Did this happen?

Anyone have a link?
AggieBarstool
Gotta start somewhere. Good choice with the low-hanging fruit.
deh40
AG
Ag_B_10 said:

Rapier108 said:

TAMU1990 said:

deh40 said:

Did this happen?

Anyone have a link?
https://www.kbtx.com/2020/11/23/local-hospitals-treating-covid-19-patients-from-el-paso-other-areas-of-texas/
Ukraine Gas Expert
AG
Shutting down bars or dragging corrupt lying officials safe from any sort of consequences from their office?

Carny89
Aren't all bars now "restaurants " after paying the fees to become one? So shouldn't hurt many. If at all.
Rapier108
Carny89 said:

Aren't all bars now "restaurants " after paying the fees to become one? So shouldn't hurt many. If at all.
WTAW said 30 or so in Brazos County would be shut down.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Rapier108 said:

Carny89 said:

...likely for good now.
momlaw
AG
Abbott is not a political dolt.
He is keenly aware of opinions of Texans across the spectrum.
I imagine if Brazos County slow walked he'd look askance.

The lower one is on the feeding chain the more consequential, and potentially devastating, the actions.
That does not negate the higher on the chain being aware and sensitive to the price they might pay.
momlaw
EliteElectric
Carny89 said:

yes apparently after giving the government $850 you magically become safer and less of a danger to the public at large.
Rapier108
GiveEmHellBill said:

Rapier108 said:

Carny89 said:

...likely for good now.
And the sad part is there are a huge number of people who will see this as a good thing.
Capt. America
AG
This frustrates me to no end. Is there any real evidence out there that shows that bars are some kind of superspreader location? When I go out, I see that people are distancing and wearing masks for the most part, at least equal to what you're seeing to grocery stores and restaurants. Selective enforcement is about to murder businesses. As a musician, this hurts my revenue stream as well. I'm just done with it.
doubledog
Rapier108 said:

GiveEmHellBill said:

Rapier108 said:

Carny89 said:

...likely for good now.
And the sad part is there are a huge number of people who will see this as a good thing.
I feel for the owners of these bars in Brazos County. What is not fair is that the big retailers (Wal-Mart) can open their doors and block the isles with merchandise (thus limiting the distance restrictions).

Dear Politicians, please enforce your restrictions equally.
Rapier108
Capt. America said:

Is there any real evidence out there that shows that bars are some kind of superspreader location?
The evidence shows the exact opposite. Very few cases have been traced specifically to bars.

See the links I posted on page 1, 4th reply.
trouble
AG
No, esp in Brazos county. Our increased hospitalizations (which is really the only thing we need to be "worried" about) are coming from clusters at long term care facilities.
Muzzleblast
C'mon man.....

He has no time for the little people.

He has to manage your life since you are too ignorant to make decisions about your own health.

Peters is living the Lord Abbott dream.
Tumble Weed
trouble said:

No, esp in Brazos county. Our increased hospitalizations (which is really the only thing we need to be "worried" about) are coming from clusters at long term care facilities.

Nobody cares about facts, trouble. LTCs are loaded with people who frequent establishments that serve spirits.
trouble
AG
Tumble Weed said:

trouble said:

Nobody cares about facts, trouble. LTCs are loaded with people who frequent establishments that serve spirits.
Clearly, they all going out and getting lit.
johnnyblaze36
AG
Rapier108 said:

TAMU1990 said:

deh40 said:

Did this happen?

I didn't even know about this either. That seems like a rather long commute. What the hell?
johnnyblaze36
AG
Rapier108 said:

Carny89 said:

Did they give a list? I went to Mo's Irish Pub before the A&M/lsu game and it was packed and people carrying on like normal (although they may be technically considered a restaurant...I'm not sure).

Went to the Angry Elephant in Bryan last week and walked in with no mask and it was a totally normal bar scene. And I went to Rough Draught on Northgate after the Vandy game which is just a whiskey bar and the owner told me they had been able to open up finally the day before after paying TABC a $700 fee and agreeing to serve pretzels.

This whole thing is absolutely ridiculous.
EliteElectric
Got a response from judge Peters, and I'll sum up and paraphrase-

"I am in agreement with you and am working with State Rep on a solution"
2007fightintexasaggie
AG
I just received pretty much the same response plus him essentially washing his hands of the situation and saying county judges don't have the authority that the Galveston County judge thinks he has. Better response than I expected, though, and their goal is to bypass shutting down bars which was a plus.
Justin2010
AG
I've been having an email conversation and it seems like he's heard his constituents. He said he's working with Kyle Kacal to get in touch with the Governor's office about enforcement by TABC.

I'm encouraged!
Rapier108
They didn't so I can't vouch for how accurate the number is. It was just on the morning show yesterday.
Muzzleblast
Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.

Remember, this is tone deaf Abbott. Posting pictures of him with Joe Rogan drinking bourbon while the mansion is closed to normal Texans. Same with Elon Musk.
techno-ag
AG
EliteElectric said:

Got a response from judge Peters, and I'll sum up and paraphrase-

"I am in agreement with you and am working with State Rep on a solution"
Kudos to Peters.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
Justin2010
AG
Muzzleblast said:

Remember, this is tone deaf Abbott. Posting pictures of him with Joe Rogan drinking bourbon while the mansion is closed to normal Texans. Same with Elon Musk.

I'll be voting for whoever is viable and primaries abbott.
momlaw
AG
Too bad Rick Perry blocked Susan Combs for too many years.
She would have been a stellar Texas Governor.
momlaw
Rapier108
Justin2010 said:

Muzzleblast said:

I'll be voting for whoever is viable and primaries abbott.
The problem will be if it ends up being Abbott vs. Beta.

No way in heck would I vote for Beta. Abbott sucks, but Beta would be like electing Cuomo or Newsom and we know how much they love going full lock down. I'd hold my nose and vote for Abbott simply to keep Beta out.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.