Tad's Restaurant

13,152 Views | 65 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by MiMi
Thisguy1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Tad's is a little more fancy than Walk-ons. We went 3 times. Every time looked like they weren't busy at all, open spots everywhere, at least a 30 min wait. The first two times we just went to Walk-ons instead. The 3rd we had already decided we'd just wait it out. Until stuff gets built around it, the parking lot is a pain in the ass. It's just a U shape right now so you can't turn around if cars are parked in the spots.

Cajun queso was average. Dinner had very large portions and we thought it was good. We'll probably try it again but we love Walk-ons and I've never had to wait there.
AgsWin2011
AG
Been to both. I enjoyed both. Can't remember what I got from Walk-ons cause it was before COVID. Recently got the crawfish bowl at Tad's and I thought it was delicious and huge portion.

I'd like to go to Walk-ons again soon. I do remember that I got Boudin balls for an appetizer and I thought they were great.
Boozer92
AG
Been to both. Food and portions were better at Tads. But I would rather go to Walk ons for drinks with friends that includes food. I liked walkons food just fine.
Wicked Good Ag
TxSquarebody said:

Wicked Good Ag said:

TxSquarebody said:

Food there is fantastic!
Pro Tip: The bowl of gumbo will feed 2-3 normal people.

Umm no it won't. I liked the one time we went and will go again but that isn't correct

The wife and I went and both ordered a bowl of gumbo. We packed up 64 ounces as leftovers. It's a very big, very good, bowl of gumbo!

Making a couple of dinner plans this week and looked at some threads for suggestions. You are saying two bowls of gumbo AFTER eating at the restaurant you had a half a gallon left over?? Really seems far fetched
deh40
AG
Wicked Good Ag said:

TxSquarebody said:

Wicked Good Ag said:

TxSquarebody said:

Food there is fantastic!

Umm no it won't. I liked the one time we went and will go again but that isn't correct

The wife and I went and both ordered a bowl of gumbo. We packed up 64 ounces as leftovers. It's a very big, very good, bowl of gumbo!

Making a couple of dinner plans this week and looked at some threads for suggestions. You are saying two bowls of gumbo AFTER eating at the restaurant you had a half a gallon left over?? Really seems far fetched
Very far fetched. I had the gumbo as a meal with no appetizers or sides. It was a good size bowl, but I had no leftovers.
A Net Full of Jello
AG
We had Tads last night. We started off with the crawfish queso which was very good. My daughter selected the fried alligator and the waitress (McKenna, who was very helpful, friendly, and efficient) suggested she get the appetizer and a side rather than the meal since the portion would be smaller. It was very good and she was barely able to eat a quarter of it. My husband had the seafood plate with fried shrimp, stuffed shrimp, oysters, and hush puppies. He wasn't even able to finish half and was very full. All of it was good, but the highlight was the stuffed shrimp. It was absolutely delicious. I was trying to decide between the etouffee and gumbo. Our waitress recommended the etouffee. It was fine. It's say it was better than Walk-Ons but not as good as Shipwreck Grill. Very thick and a lot of rice. Overall, we were happy with the food and service and intend to go back.
woodiewood1
deh40 said:

Wicked Good Ag said:

TxSquarebody said:

Wicked Good Ag said:

TxSquarebody said:

Food there is fantastic!

Very far fetched. I had the gumbo as a meal with no appetizers or sides. It was a good size bowl, but I had no leftovers.
I didn't care for the taste of the gumbo. It is probably good, but there is a flavor in it that I don't like.

We didn't have a half gallon left...in fact I bet each portion wasn't more than a pint of gumbo....nothing was left.
EBrazosAg
AG
I held off my usual time to let a restaurant do a shake down cruise. Went this week pm. My observations:
Loud - ok if you don't mind. Just know it
Pacing of food horrible - large dinner salad arrives. Entrees 30 seconds later. No sorry or excuse.
No silverware.... kid you not. Finally brought out the cheapest plastic utensils I've ever seen 3 min after entree arrived. No explanation other than out right now.

I'm pretty understanding of a lot of things I think - and waited tables back in the day. But I would think restaurant 101 has a formula for adequate silverware supply per table with a 99.9% confidence rate. If the dishwasher is broken then the restaurant is closed.... so it wasn't that. Never saw a manager.

Food was meh. It wasn't bad. But nothing special. Not authentic- at least to me it wasn't. I won't be back soon. Not in the new rotation for sure.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
harrierdoc
AG
EBrazosAg said:

I held off my usual time to let a restaurant do a shake down cruise. Went this week pm. My observations:
Loud - ok if you don't mind. Just know it
Pacing of food horrible - large dinner salad arrives. Entrees 30 seconds later. No sorry or excuse.
No silverware.... kid you not. Finally brought out the cheapest plastic utensils I've ever seen 3 min after entree arrived. No explanation other than out right now.

I'm pretty understanding of a lot of things I think - and waited tables back in the day. But I would think restaurant 101 has a formula for adequate silverware supply per table with a 99.9% confidence rate. If the dishwasher is broken then the restaurant is closed.... so it wasn't that. Never saw a manager.

Food was meh. It wasn't bad. But nothing special. Not authentic- at least to me it wasn't. I won't be back soon. Not in the new rotation for sure.

This was exactly our experience. Meh. Probably will never go back.
halibut sinclair
Same for us.
Tailgate88
AG
And us. And I really wanted it to be good.
Aggie
AG
Underwhelming experience each time have gone

And the tables are too close together.
Very very small dining room.. can you literally be sitting right next to someone who is at another table.
trouble
AG
Damn, I was hoping it was getting better.
taxpreparer
AG
Been twice. Am planning to go back.

***It's your money, not theIRS! (At least for a little while longer.)
AgTrip
I love it! Breakfast is amazing! Less on the wait list...works for me!
aggiegal99
We went last week. Seated at 11:30. It was well over an hour later when we got our food. Ordering took forever, then a really long wait for our food.

I liked my grilled seafood salad, but not enough to wait an hour for it again.
MsDoubleD81
AG
Done take out twice. Both times told me 30 minutes. OK fine, except both times I waited additional 15+ minutes when I arrived. Last time got home and order was wrong. Parking is horrible and too cramped inside. People were waiting for tables to eat and there were quite a few open tables in the eating area. Bar area was packed tho.

Prefer Walk-Ons. Better atmosphere, service and food.

kevmiller
As mentioned dining room is very small.
But they only had 4 servers last time we went.

Now I don't know if that's because they are short staffed , I realize a lot of places are due to government handouts ... or it's their choice... but 4 waitresses for the entire dining room although small is not enough.

Our drinks were empty more than they were filled.
Had to flag down another waitress to ask for a condiment
EBrazosAg
AG
Glad to know I'm not the only underwhelmed consumer. This town has enough options now that you have to deliver pretty consistently. Glad we have gotten there in the last 3 decades. But Tad's better step it up.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
The Brazos Kid
Yeah, hoping Tads gets it figured out. I must be an outlier... As a creature of habit, I've only gotten their gumbo and only to-go. Never had an issue and the 32oz cup full of gumbo has yet to disappoint.

I will agree on parking and loudness. Can be an issue.
tbone94
AG
We went twice abs both times it was not very good. Server was nice but recipes were not.
MsDoubleD81
AG
How much of the gumbo is rice?
MiMi
S
Quote:

The rice is served separately, along side the cup or bowl of gumbo.
The Brazos Kid
MsDoubleD81 said:

Yes, 32 FULL ounces of gumbo with a pint of rice.
MyNameIsJeff
AG
We went tonight. No complaints. Service was fine, food was good. No issues, but I wouldn't say it is anything special.
bushytailed
AG
I've never had a bad experience at Tad's and I've been there at least five times.
EBrazosAg
AG
So guess we could all agree on the statement that there is a broad spectrum of experiences at Tad's.
AgProgrammer
AG
Every time I drive by or want to eat there, cars are wrapped around the building. I'm glad to see they are doing well.
COSCAG00
AG
Went there for lunch today what a horrible experience. We were seated at 11:45 finally had our drink/food order taken at 12:20 and we still did not have our food at 1:05 when we finally left. The group that walked in before us left about 10 minuets before we did as well. Everyone in the restaurant was waiting for food and the waitresses looked disheveled and kept saying the kitchen was backed up. I hope they can make the experience better as they have good food, but I can say I will be going back anytime soon.

Whataburger for the win luckily!
EBrazosAg
AG
EBrazosAg said:

So guess we could all agree on the statement that there is a broad spectrum of experiences at Tad's.

So my addendum would be that any restaurant with such a high number of clearly disparate experiences will not succeed long term without a move to the desirable side on a consistent basis ....
Bullpen Chias
AG
Tad's
Four trips. Two dine in and two take out.
First take out they gave me an insane amount of gumbo.
Second take out ordered the same thing and it was what I would call smaller than average. Weird. Catfish is usually solid.

The two dine in experiences were memorable only because of the really poor service. Po boy was very good. Ton of fries but they were cold.

My four trips have been all over the map. It's just very unreliable outside of the catfish which seems to be good each time and a large portion.
MiMi
S
I've been about 6 times since they have opened. Generally, the service is OK - really dependent on the person you get. The gumbo is good and the serving is large. My teenaged-daughter loves the Tad's Bowl. I have recently discovered that their ribeye steak is very good. I was surprised that their steak, IMO, out-performed the 'mainstream' steakhouses I've been to in BCS (Roadhouse, Outback, Saltgrass, to name a few).

I'll probably visit monthly or so, but hope they improve on their consistency of service.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.