Tad's Restaurant

13,151 Views | 65 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by MiMi
AgsWin2011
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone been yet and have initial reviews? Is it similar to Walkons?

Noticed it was open and the parking lot was full. Hope it turns out to be a good spot.
Ukraine Gas Expert
AG
Went shortly after it opened and it was a great. Food tasted good, service was solid, and it was busy that evening. Haven't been back yet, but will return.

I thought the food was better than walk-ons, but I've only been to each once, however I will return to both at some point.
susieq30
Have ordered there (Tad's) a couple of times. We have tried the shrimp, popcorn shrimp, catfish bites, gumbo and etoufee and have enjoyed them all. Will be eating there often after Covid is over.
Monywolf
Had the chicken and sausage gumbo, which was very good. Shrimp at Walkon's are bigger and better.
MiMi
S
I've been several times. Good food and service. I usually get the blackened shrimp alfredo but the gumbo is great too. My daughter ordered the ribeye steak and it looked amazing. I'm usually disappointed with restaurant steaks and tend to avoid them, but I may try it next time I go.

The weekend brunch menu looks good. I just need to get the energy to leave the house on a weekend morning.
aggiemom89
Ate at Tads once. Great service and huge menu. Everything we had was great except for the etoufee, it was mostly just a big huge plate of white rice with a little bit of sauce and a few crawfish thrown in. Otherwise it was awesome as is walk Ons.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
We hit happy hour once or so a week. Good appetizers, wings were really good. Haven't tried a full meal. Good drink specials.
TxSquarebody
Food there is fantastic!
Pro Tip: The bowl of gumbo will feed 2-3 normal people.
BANA89
AG
Mostly good, four of five trips very good food, three of those five trips good service, the other two were just slow. Really, it's been a great experience so far for a new restaurant on top of Covid craziness going on and opening in the middle of it.
BANA Class of '86/'89 - Living in Aggieland!
Broncos
Food is better than Walk-Ons.
Wicked Good Ag
TxSquarebody said:

Food there is fantastic!

Umm no it won't. I liked the one time we went and will go again but that isn't correct
Monywolf
Broncos said:

Food is better than Walk-Ons.
Generally speaking, it's not.
songstress
We've only been to Walk-ons once. It was fine, just not Into the sports bar vibe and it seems like there is always a line out of the door.

We go to Tad's at least once a week. Go early to avoid the crowds. Their breakfast (Sat and Sun) is tasty and offers something different in this town. On Wednesday, they halve half priced overstuffed pobioys and it was enough for me to get two meals out of. We have only been for lunch because they offer a two for $10.95 option M-F.

It does get quite crowded and we won't wait for a table longer than 10 minutes (too many other options) so timing is everything.
Aggie
AG
Been once

Not very big in the inside
It's Louisanna Cajun type food but I'd say that's about all the similarities between Tads and Walkons

Tads was good.. nothing great but we will certainty be back.
Portions were huge
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Eaten at Walk Ons twice. Yet to be impressed. In fact will only go if someone else wants to now. Haven't been to Tads yet
cavscout96
AG
Haven't been to the one in CS, but the one in Tomball is very good. If similar, you won't be disappointed.
TxSquarebody
Wicked Good Ag said:

TxSquarebody said:

Food there is fantastic!

Umm no it won't. I liked the one time we went and will go again but that isn't correct

The wife and I went and both ordered a bowl of gumbo. We packed up 64 ounces as leftovers. It's a very big, very good, bowl of gumbo!
unmade bed
When we went it was kind of spur of the moment and I wasn't really in the mood for seafood so I ordered chicken fried steak. Probably not the best thing to order from a Cajun/seafood restaurant and it was not that good (tasted like fried fish). My wife got shrimp something or other and really enjoyed it. Will definitely go back and I will order better next time. Service was great.
AgTrip
Oyster poboy is amazing!!
KidDoc
AG
We've been twice. Service is fine but I find the food uninspired and a bit bland.

Been to Walk-Ons 4 or 5 times. Last time we went was great food and leftovers with great service. During the COVID shut downs we had some bad bad food from them and errors on the orders twice. I emailed management but never heard back. It does seem like they fixed the issues though.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TAMC11
AG
Been there once but for drinks only. Waitress said they couldn't make an Old Fashioned. Not really sure what that means. I've heard the food was pretty good though.
Independence H-D
Been twice. Poor service. Orders wrong. Food, meh. Won't go back. Love walk-ons.
ChampsAg
Been once. Wife's fish was dry. Catfish not as good as Walk-Ons.

Service was good. Price was higher than expected. Don't know if we will go back.

Prefer Walk-Ons overall
Independence H-D
Also, tried to put in a to go order and was told they weren't doing them on that day....
BaitShack
AG
I went tonight and had the 1/2 and 1/2 (Etoufee and fried crawfish). Both were good. Service was good. Etoufee had good flavor but as mentioned above, was mostly rice. I can see how it might get loud with the cement floors. Lots of TVs.
NateDog
AG
Went today for lunch, Mondays are supposedly all day happy hour "Domestic Beer $2" & other specials.

Got a Michelob Ultra, charged full $3.50, "Oh, happy hour prices are only for draft beer."

Can't complain about the chicken & sausage gumbo, it was good. Wife loves cajun/seafood, so we'll probably go back.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
TAMC11 said:

couldn't make an Old Fashioned.

Last time I went, their beer glass was so cold, my beer was a slushy. I asked if they had any non-deep-frozen glasses. She said she believed they did not but would check.

The next beer came in a glass straight out of the dishwasher, boiling hot.
halibut sinclair
We went the first or second weekend they were open. Food was ok to meh, and the service was not good at all. We prefer Walk On's or even Razzoo's (which can be hit or miss). If you want some real good cajun seafood, drive an hour to Cypress and go to Floyd's.
UhOhNoAgTag
Crawfish bisque was excellent!
91_Aggie
AG
Went tonight for first time.
A huge bunch of Meh, flavorless food.

Walk-on's much better.. nothing at TaDs there to make me ever want to go again.

TheAlarmGuy
Love Tad's Welcome Addition to SoCo.. All 3 times Food was Great as well as the service. #GigEm and God Bless
Sponsor Message: Advanced Security Concepts | Reliable security by dependable people at an affordable price | david1@advancedsec.com | 979-690-8516 | State Lic B09523
MiMi
S
I went to Tad's for dinner tonight as well. Good food and service. I like Walk-Ons as well. I really can't compare the two, beyond their similar Cajun theme. Very different concepts and menu IMO.
Bunk Moreland
Both Tad's and Walk On's are good. Tad's hits higher notes on some of the similar dishes and lower on some others. Just gotta find what is best at each spot.
Gravy
AG
I've gone to Walkons and Tads several times. Tads has better food and portions. If you're going to eat, that's your place. Walkons has a more happy hour, after work, celebration vibe. If you're going to drink and maybe munch, that's your place.
91_Aggie
AG
It just feels like those defending Tad's have some agenda.
Maybe I went on a bad night, but man... it was so underwhelming.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.