Did anybody else have their Suddenlink bill randomly go up $20?!?!?

13,316 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by aggiemom89
BrandoC
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
How is this **** even legal at this point.
Old Ag 74
AG
Yep, mine went up the same amount.
BrandoC
AG
$171 for basic cable/internet is outragous
skeetboy3
AG
I canceled due to a move and they said "is this in regards to your bill increasing $20."
cavscout96
BrandoC
AG
It says I had a promotion. Hell I havnt agreed to any promotion in 6 years. Straight trying to steal money, bull*****!!
bobinator
AG
Has anyone else tried signing up for the price for life with their spouse's info? If that works I might also do that.
TexasAggie_02
AG
Probably has to due with the new law taking effect that makes it illegal to charge you for using your own router. Since that scam is ending, they probably just jacked up the base charge.
TAMC11
AG
I did about a year ago. Easiest thing in the world.
Thisguy1
bobinator said:

Has anyone else tried signing up for the price for life with their spouse's info? If that works I might also do that.

How does that work? When you cancel do they come and uninstall everything and then when you sign back up they come back and reinstall it? Last time they installed 1 Altice box, a TiVo and two minis they tried to charge me $360 for a "super install." Are they going to do that again?
bobinator
AG
Did your bill really go down? We have the 1 gig internet, and that's all, and our bill this month is I think like $120.
Thisguy1
All they do is change the "promotional credit" towards the bottom. Last time I called they told me my service should be over $300 but they're being gracious enough to give me a discount. Earlier this year I was paying $160 with more channels. Last month it was $189 and they added a couple movie channels that I didn't sign up for. So I got them to take them off and I look at my bill this month and it's $20 more without those channels.
Slagathor
AG
My bill jumped up almost $20 for just internet. $52 to $71. The "promotional credit" decreased. The last time it jumped up about a year ago, I used a bill negotiation service (Truebill) and they got it back down from $70 to almost where it was. I think I paid $49 before the last jump.

Does anyone have any recs for a better bill negotiation service? If not, I'm just going to sign up for the "price for life" with my spouse's info and lock in the $30/month for a year and take it from there.
iisanaggie
AG
Do you have to wait a certain amount of time before you reconnect? I would do it if there is minimal downtime.
02skiag
AG
Mine went up $20 as well. I had no promotions going on and have internet only.

Edit: apparently they adjusted my bill in January and changed it from a $30 "Savings" over retail to a $46 "promotion". Then on this bill they decreased that promotion to $26. What a scam!
legalbird
Ditch the tv services. Go with sling/roku/apple or youtube tv. Alot of people like youtube tv.

For internet , you probably don't have a choice.
texasaggie04
AG
iisanaggie said:

Do you have to wait a certain amount of time before you reconnect? I would do it if there is minimal downtime.

I think it's something like 6 months? Don't quote me on that, but I know it's something long enough that it's deterred me from doing the same. I can't wait until the day we have another game in town. I will watch the exodus from Suddenlink with glee. #schadenfreude
Thisguy1
My internet would be $120 with Suddenlink because I'm a longtime loyal customer who's never missed or even been late on a payment. My brother pays $70 right down the road from me and he's locked in for life as a new customer.

$120 for internet and $60 for YouTube TV and I'm not far from where I am now.
jimbo457
I recently looked into upgrading our internet speed. I am not terribly computer savvy so I've ignored this for some time. I found that I was getting 50mbps for $83 per month. I must have been paying this for the last 7 years or so. I'm not sure. All I know is that now, you can get that speed for about $15 per month. I guess they were just going to continue taking my $83 per month until I looked into it. Pretty crappy if you ask me. I upped my speed to 1gbps and I'm only paying $7 more a month. I don't get the new customer rate but I've been told that this new rate will be for life but I'm sure they have ways around that. I hate Suddenlink but I don't think there are many other options for internet. We cancelled our cable several years ago.
SoTheySay
S
My bill went up $10 but every charge and credit from previous bill to current is exactly the same.
aggiepaintrain
AG
I went from DTV to SL cable last week, I now have DTV back. It was amazing how bad SL service and tech support was. I would pay double the price and not have reception when it's storming to never deal with the SL clowns ever again. And it's not twice the price, I'm paying $90 a month for 275 channels.

SL is the worst company I have ever dealt.

For internet I still use them and pay for their top package and surprisingly haven't had many issues. I recommend buying your own modem though.

FJB
KidDoc
AG
We just started a youtubeTV trial yesterday due to continued choppiness of SL broadcast despite them coming out and replacing a switch.

I am really loving the YoutubeTV just using chromecast or smart TV functions. Better picture and no choppy broadcasts. Plan to cancel SL cable this week.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Its Not Rocket Surgery
AG
Yep, price increased $20 this month and is up almost $100 over the past year. I guess they looked at our account and decided they weren't fleecing us enough. About to start a youtube TV trial and if it works well we're telling the clown show to take their TV service and shove it.
AggiePhil
AG
Man, what a racket. Effectively the only game in town for internet and they constantly increase rates for long-time customers while reducing rates for new customers. Gag!
ag009
AG
I had lots of success with https://www.asktrim.com/. Just uploaded a suddenlink bill and they somehow negotiated my bill down nearly $40/month.
frito bandito
Let me add on to the pile. We upgraded to unlimited (is that such a thing) data after getting two months of penalty charges. Tech came, swapped out equipment (old was at least 10 years old); told us we didn't need a router; we could us theirs. Well, almost immediately, our internet got intermittent. Daughter got kicked out of a grad final because internet crashed. First world problem, but can't play more than 2 COD rounds without getting booted for no internet. Called for service; tech came out; said we had connectivity problems (no kidding).

Everything was fine; until he left. Same intermittent service.

If their charter is granted by the city; why can't the city force them to perform?
aggiemom89
https://www.bryantx.gov/residents-businesses-encouraged-to-take-broadband-survey/
AFM
We have their "price for life" rate for $50 for a while and now the bill just went up to $70 with no explanation. I guess they want me to waste an hr on the phone just to reach a real person and see what's going on.
texasaggie04
AG
Internet only bill just went up $30 per month. Going to try asktrim and see if that helps, will report back.
AG @ HEART
went up to $109 for two months and then back down to $98
texasaggie04
AG
Update: My bill was originally $71/month for 100/10 Internet with a data cap. I hit the cap last month so they charged me $15 which prompted me to upgrade my Internet to 300/30 with no data cap (for an additional $10/month).

So my bill should have been $81/month but in timing that I consider almost too convenient, a promo ended and they increased my bill to $107/month.

I signed up for a free trial at asktrim (as referenced in a previous post) and just got word back from that company that they negotiated my bill down $10/month. I am awaiting some sort of confirmation from Suddenlink, but I won't hold my breath.

But as far as I'm concerned, saving $10/month and giving Suddenlink the middle finger is a win in my book.
BulldAg99
AG
2nd YouTubeTV. We have it and it's great.
Eliminatus
AG
I just want to know how this particular business method became the go to for such a widely used service across the entire nation. The endless cycle of individual wooing and screwing. I have not changed my plan in five years and have gone from $50 to $70, back to $60 since I raised hell, back up to $80, and bounced around those numbers for a couple of years, and last two months it is an extra $6 and on the cusp of $90 now for low grade internet only. Such wildly varying pricing on their end alone is infuriating.

Are ISP companies really free market enterprise?
AndesAg92
AG
BrandoC said:

How is this **** even legal at this point.

Suddenlink sucks but why so many !!!!!! over $240 over the course of a year. I'm sure you waste significantly large amounts elsewhere.
aggiemom89
Does anyone have a recommendation for the best router/modem for the Suddenlink 400 mbps plan? Also where to buy one? Suddenlink told me my current modem is not compatible with that plan.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.