City of Bryan to purchase old Nutrabolt office and create Innovation center.

8,713 Views | 68 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Slocum on a mobile
BQ_90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bcstx06 said:

I believe that the RELLIS campus and all that it has in development will bring in many high paying jobs.

Many of you didn't agree with the high speed rail stop here in Brazos County, but believe it or not transportation is key in bringing in big business. Did you know we are the largest metro in the US with an Interstate Highway?
The rail stop isn't planned for Brazos County. The fact that many will lie about that makes me wonder what else you'll lie about
doubledog
BQ_90 said:

bcstx06 said:

I believe that the RELLIS campus and all that it has in development will bring in many high paying jobs.

Many of you didn't agree with the high speed rail stop here in Brazos County, but believe it or not transportation is key in bringing in big business. Did you know we are the largest metro in the US with an Interstate Highway?
The rail stop isn't planned for Brazos County. The fact that many will lie about that makes me wonder what else you'll lie about
the rail stop would be 30mins from College Station. About the same commute from downtown Houston to IAH. So I think the point of transportation is a valid and factual one.
bcstx06
BQ_90 said:

bcstx06 said:

No one is lying about anything. The rail at one point in the plans had an actual stop in Brazos County. People cried about it so it was immediately moved East.
PS3D
agrab86 said:

No one's been talking about affluence, we been talking about the purchase of a building and bringing businesses to the area.

But since you brought it up, I'd sure like to know your definition of affluence, because we have plenty of affluence in BCS. In Bryan alone, affluent areas include Traditions, Miramont & Rosemary Dr. None of the folks I know in those areas depended on anyone bringing in jobs. They're all entrepreneurs, business owners, and great investors.

I agree that $40k/yr doesn't produce affluence, but went through the scenarios where that would result in a comfortable life. I can tell you for sure that $100-200k jobs don't produce affluence, just more comfort. $300-400k/yr might produce affluence, those jobs are few and far between even in businesses that had those levels of jobs.

I know that "no one's talking about affluence", I just wanted to point out how comical it was (and not just in this thread) to praise Bryan for attracting businesses (often paid with taxes one way or another) that pay chump change and then wonder in another thread why we don't get nicer restaurants.

Bringing up Traditions isn't a great example when arguing for the city's wealth. I picked a single street to analyze in Brazos CAD (Laurel Trace) and found less than half of the houses actually had local owners.
isitjustme
AG
If you'd have picked Emory Oak, right around the corner from Laurel Trace, you would have seen that of the 25 lots, 17 have houses, and 16 of those have homestead exemptions, with all but one using the same address for correspondence, the other in CS. The 17th is a weekender for someone out of Houston. The other 8 lots aren't built yet, and 4 of those are owned by B-CS people, 3 from within 100 miles, and 1 in Utah.

The fact is some of the areas in Traditions like Laurel Trace are for smaller houses owned as weekend/gameday/golf purposes. Others like Emory Oak are more for permanent residents. I don't really care from where all these people got their money. Some I know in Traditions are from here, many are attracted here.

So at the very minimum, Traditions attracts affluence. Who's to say the planned activities in the former Nutrabolt building won't attract a better, higher paying range of jobs.

ETA - By the way, I like our restaurants, especially the largely independent ones in Bryan, but even some of the chains in both cities.
Post removed:
by user
doubledog
Slocum on a mobile said:

Tell your friends to look up a little USB device called a "jiggler". It simulates slight mouse movements, keeping their PC from going idle.

I accept fine Scotch for my IT consulting.
download and install the freeware program mouse-jiggler (for windows).

https://mouse-jiggler.en.uptodown.com/windows

Glen Grant is my scotch of choice.
EcoZapp.AC&Air.Purifiers
agrab86 said:

So at the very minimum, Traditions attracts affluence. Who's to say the planned activities in the former Nutrabolt building won't attract a better, higher paying range of jobs.

I do, There is a great chance it doesn't attract really any jobs..

One building housed one company that was cranking north of a Billion in revenue with a lot of high paying jobs.

A New Innovation Center where businesses can Collaborate is keyword for a handful of Tech / App type Start-up companies sharing the same parking lot, maybe pre revenue ( being funded by existing businesses and their Tax $$ during 2020 & 2021 Covid )

- In almost every way, some place cheaper + closer to an Office Supply Store or Day Care or the X number of things Employees / Offices need would put X millions of tax dollars to better use in this situation.

Being placed in an Affluent area for $9m surrounded by a golf course is a type decision made by few for the many and it shows a disconnect irl, it will bring little to no value imo other than "head nodding and back patting."

Post removed:
by user
halibut sinclair
Sounds like ya'll have bad experiences with some crappy companies.

And scotch sucks. I've got some Pappy I'm not willing to share.
EliteElectric
halibut sinclair said:

Sounds like ya'll have bad experiences with some crappy companies.

And scotch sucks. I've got some Pappy I'm not willing to share.
Pappy is soooooooo over rated IMHO, get some Middleton's for a quarter of the price!
halibut sinclair
I don't really have any Pappy. More of a Maker's 46 guy.
EliteElectric
Makers and the 46 versions are always solid! I've tried many of the high end whiskeys over the years and keep coming back to Middleton's, better than all of them if you ask me and for around 200 a bottle can't be beat.
halibut sinclair
Slocum on a mobile said:

halibut sinclair said:

I don't really have any Pappy. More of a Maker's 46 guy.

I have some Russell's Reserve that might change your mind.
I don't know. I've tried many different bourbons recently and always come back to Maker's. The Maker's Private Selection is my new favorite. I will try Russell's Reserve, though.
techno-ag
AG
Drunk posting explains a lot from you guys.
halibut sinclair
techno-ag said:

Thanks to 2020 and the corona for expanding my whiskey horizons.
Post removed:
by user
doubledog
Slocum on a mobile said:

EcoZapp.AC&Air.Purifiers said:

$2,000,000 in $40,000 Grants would spread across ~50 different businesses, would probably cycle the money back into the local economy pretty quick. IMO much faster than making an existing building nicer + buying an expensive building from about the largest company found in B/CS, which left the city.

( there are city buildings falling apart that would make an ideal space for local start-ups + Businesses, but the nicest building in town which feels like a Google Office, located on a golf course far away from an Office Depot or Post Office or Best Buy etc.. becomes questionable. )

Pet Projects like this + someone debating if ~$40k a year jobs make Aggieland a haven for growth, makes me realize that most or many people don't understand just how many people quit their jobs for several extra hundred in unemployment benefits.

$2m here, $100m there and eventually B/CS could have built a rocket factory or something space related with all that money + all the students. Nope, ppl think about things in relationship to golf balls in leadership positions with tax money.

We had a rocket factory (Westinghouse)... they made brains for missiles. It's sitting empty (mostly?) next to the new Academy on the bypass...

I haven't seen anything at the last "great idea" (the health science center) that has attracted a plethora of $100k jobs.
So, pardon me if I think that RELLIS bringing in a crapton of great jobs is somewhat dubious.
Actually it was radar manufacturing (Westinghouse), but I do not want to split hairs.
halibut sinclair
It's funny how "staff" has deleted sooooooooooo many posts because they have decided they derailed a thread in their overreaching opinion, but this thread has nothing to do about whiskey, and here we are.
EcoZapp.AC&Air.Purifiers
I wonder if they have a formula that sounds an alert or sends a ping about when certain combos of 3 or 4 usernames start to gather on the same thread.. Derailments are where the gold nuggets are found imo..

- I bet that if 3 or 4 'certain usernames of a list' start to pop up on a single topic, someone then has to dig thru a 5 inch book of ad policies, grammer issues, and current legal statues around section 230 + freedom of speech..

halibut sinclair
EcoZapp.AC&Air.Purifiers said:

- I bet that if 3 or 4 'certain usernames of a list' start to pop up on a single topic, someone then has to dig thru a 5 inch book of ad policies, grammer issues, and current legal statues around section 230 + freedom of speech..

EcoZapp.AC&Air.Purifiers
The fun part about social media, some get the satire, some just see the grammer and grump, some who didn't grow up on Seinfeld learn correct usage of Statute.

King of the Hill didn't cover all the bases, just most.
Sub4
AG
* Checking back in for the first time since creating this thread to read the opinions. This was not the direction I was expecting haha
doubledog
Slocum on a mobile said:

doubledog said:

Slocum on a mobile said:

Tell your friends to look up a little USB device called a "jiggler". It simulates slight mouse movements, keeping their PC from going idle.

I accept fine Scotch for my IT consulting.
download and install the freeware program mouse-jiggler (for windows).

https://mouse-jiggler.en.uptodown.com/windows

Glen Grant is my scotch of choice.

Most security-minded companies don't give their users admin access, and they can't install freeware. The corporate overlords push software down to the machines. The hardware jigglers work on PCs or Macs, and for locked down corporate machines.

Not a bad Scotch. I'm a big Laphroaig fan myself.
Mouse-jiggler runs locally (no installation and no admin privileges required) (sorry I did say install, I meant run.)

Up until a few years ago, you could only buy Glen Grant in the UK. The scots did not want to export the good stuff.

EcoZapp.AC&Air.Purifiers
Sub4 said:

* Checking back in for the first time since creating this thread to read the opinions. This was not the direction I was expecting haha
- the interests of many at some point in life lay in golf & things on golf courses like whiskey.

hence location of this building..
BQ_90
AG
I feel at this point we need to merge this with the cougar thread.
legalbird
As California crumbles, see news about HP coming to Houston, I really don't know to think. That company is fleeing for a reason. I hope those that arrive appreciate our current economy and structure.

More companies and people will be leaving CA in the near future.
Post removed:
by user
isitjustme
AG
BQ_90 said:

I believe it's spelled couger.
BQ_90
AG
agrab86 said:

BQ_90 said:

I believe it's spelled couger.
EliteElectric
techno-ag said:

I don't think I have ever posted here while drinking, or drunk for that matter, however, I do love a glass of good whiskey now and then.

Translation-
I have no excuse for my posts and certainly can't blame them on spirits lol
trouble
AG
Likely no one on this thread is reporting anything so they haven't seen it
Post removed:
by user
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.