Lazarus at the gates

1,543 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Cholula Verde
doubledog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yesterday I went to Lowes CS, on the way home we passed a young family at the corner opposite the chick fil a, on a whim, I took my mad money and gave it to them. My mad money is the change I get, I when I go to a drive thru for coffee etc. I keep it in the mad money space in my car (every car has one. the money is out of sight but readily available). I never count the money until I need it,

I know you should not encourage people from begging on corners and we have agencies that will help them, if the want help, however the act made Mrs. DD smile and that is worth the cost to me.

I think in these situations the gift is more for the giver. I am preached at (seems like a lot) about charity by people who never practice charity. I am usually the preacher.
75AG
AG
Tim Weaver
[Post your opinion but be respectful on this forum. -Staff]
jeffk
AG
He felt called to give and he gave. If you don't like him posting about it, that's understandable but your critique comes off somewhat mean spirited. And charity isn't a zero-sum game for most people. Him giving his "mad money" to a needy family doesn't prohibit him or anyone else from giving to a local food bank. I find that in our town we have two pretty distinct types of needy people - those to who reside here and are more likely to utilize existing charities and orgs, and those who are transient, moving through town towards some other destination. If this family was over towards 6, they're probably on their way to/from somewhere else. (Also, I'm through that intersection every day or two and have never seen them before, so I doubt they're panhandlers.)

It's nice to have standards for how to give or help those in need, but needing to adhere to them so strictly that you'd ignore someone you happen to pass by is sad. Just my two cents.
Cholula Verde
AG
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.