Dentist offices denying access to parents during procedures

3,318 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by hdrydor
aginresearch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Have people been denied access to be with their child during dental procedures due to COVID-19? We were told that we could not be with our child during a tooth extraction. Since our child is not very fond of the dentist anyways it makes this procedure impossible because they won't go in by themselves. They will grudgingly go in for a cleaning but not for this.

Are there pediatric dentists in town that are not as draconian about their rules or is this the current policy everywhere?
spike427
AG
Our whole family goes to Dr. Black, and while we schedule it so that a parent + kid(s) at concurrent visits, there was no issue with my son being in the next room over for our exams/cleaning, and he was able to wait in my room after his was done.
watcholady
AG
We take our kids to Dr. Barras at Brazos Valley Pediatric dentistry and are able to be back for all steps of their dental care, including procedures. I agree that it's important to be there.

Edit to say- Dr. Barras has let me go in, masked, for a procedure during Covid.
Jason86
AG
The emergency rule has asked to attempt to limit the number of individuals in an operatory during treatment though certain exceptions can be made based on the comfort level of the office. In addition, pediatric dentistry is a unique experience where some practitioners do not allow parents present because it can interfere with the ability to communicate with the patient (child) directly when performing treatment.

That being said, call Brazos Valley Pediatric Dentistry or Light Pediatric Dentistry and ask what their policy is on parents in the operatory during treatment so you can make a good informed decision.
Abbyag06
Took my daughter to Light Pediatric not long ago. They have the same policy. I was not able to go in with her. She isn't too young so it wasn't a problem and was just a cleaning but I think that is a policy most are taking at this time. But you may be able to find one to make an exception if you call around. Good luck with the procedure!
UmustBKidding
My kids went to case and wade and and we were not able go in with, but that started when they started going to the dentist at age 2 in 1993. They went end to play video games before appointment and they never had any interest i parents being present. They were just ahead of their time.
A Net Full of Jello
AG
We see Dr. Kalke at Brazos Valley Pediatric Dentistry and a parent can be present for all procedures. Have been very pleased with the enter staff.
aginresearch
AG
Thanks for everyone's responses. We'll checkout all these recommendations!
meezermom
Brazos Valley Pediatric here too. They ask that only one parent come, but yes as long as you're masked, they're letting you in. I can't imagine not letting you in while your child had a tooth extracted!
BCSWguru
would find a new dentist if they tried that
rptsAg03
Our daughter has had 4 teeth pulled in the last 3 months at Brazos Pediatric, accompanied the whole time by daddy. All in all, I'm frustrated with the amount of disconnection from our children's experiences that we are being asked to tolerate in this whole mess. Thankfully, tooth extractions have not been one of them.
Aggie
AG
I'm sure I'll be in the minority on this board but ... opportunity for your child to grow.
To not depend on mommy and daddy to always be there.

If you're kid was having surgery you wouldn't be in the operating room.

Just wait outside, let them handle their business and go on with life. Mom and dad don't always need to be there holding their hand.
Aggie
AG
And also curious to know how old your child is .
watcholady
AG
When my child had surgery, I was with him until he was so sleepy from anesthesia that he wasn't scared. We were there when he woke up and all was, thankfully, well. Kids are wide awake and aware a tooth is being pulled.

One of my kids had extractions without me. She came out weeping and crawled into my lap once we got in the car. I found a new dentist for her and the others and it was the right decision for all of them. There are plenty of other opportunities to let kids experience things without a parent present.
trouble
AG
My oldest went there as well and we had the same experience
bushytailed
AG
Avoid Dr Lasell's office. I'm not sure what their parent/kid policy is, but he may not even actually be there for the appointment at all. I've had two cleanings in a row in which he never came in to look at my teeth. At my recent cleaning he hadn't made it into his office in time for the my mid-morning appointment.
legalbird
As rules, especially ad hoc rules, become the norm, such as you can't do XYZ, we have the option of not doing business with others.

Maybe not so much in Texas, but it is obvious that some people really like the full lock down approach.
frito bandito
UmustBKidding said:

My kids went to case and wade and and we were not able go in with, but that started when they started going to the dentist at age 2 in 1993. They went end to play video games before appointment and they never had any interest i parents being present. They were just ahead of their time.
Same experience. We would meet with Dr. Case after, while the kids were playing, to get a review of the visit.
TAMU1990
AG
When my child had surgery at Texas Children's I was able to watch from an observation deck.
Post removed:
by user
ShinerBlonde
AG
I have not been allowed to go back with my kids at Dr. Light's office. We've been for cleanings and for a tooth extraction for one since COVID. My kids are older and we've always had good experiences there so I was okay with it but had they been younger or it was a new dentist I wouldn't have been as okay with it. I do believe she allows parents in for under school age kids. I was able to go into the waiting room at Andrews Orthodontics with my kids and at their doctor visits at Scott and White so I think Dr. Light's office is being a lot more cautious than others.
coopers hawk
bushytailed said:

Avoid Dr Lasell's office. I'm not sure what their parent/kid policy is, but he may not even actually be there for the appointment at all. I've had two cleanings in a row in which he never came in to look at my teeth. At my recent cleaning he hadn't made it into his office in time for the my mid-morning appointment.
I'm stunned that he's still practicing, your complaint is MILD compared to the stuff that's been posted about him and disclosed in lawsuits.
BCS12
bushytailed said:

You are brave to go there.
hdrydor
AG
I'm sure I'm just an old, but I never had my parents go into the dental or orthodontic treatment area with me. We never went back with my kids for their dental care. They survived. One is a senior at A&M this year. My wife is a pediatric dental and orthodontic assistant, and more often than not, parents actually hinder care. Children do better minding the health care workers when parents aren't sitting chairside rubbing soothing oils on the child's feet. Yes, that actually happens...
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.